Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thermal2844
    • By thermal2844 8th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 3Thanks
    thermal2844
    Offers Over - What do you think about this house?
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    Offers Over - What do you think about this house? 8th Apr 18 at 5:21 PM
    Can't post links as a new user but if you copy and paste:
    zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/46729501

Last sale record was 2006 for 134,995

In 2016 it was listed for 150k
    In Nov 2017 it was put on auction for 115k

It is now listed for "offers over" 130k

It ticks the boxes but the prices are all over the place and not a lot of recent sold data for this particular neighbourhood that is comparable. I'm not head over heels so I just want to get a good price in case it needs to be sold for whatever reason down the line and I don't shoot myself in the foot with this "offers over" business.
Page 1
    • SuperMoose
    • By SuperMoose 8th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    SuperMoose
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    Link here
    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/46729501#poxrcik1KsQbCodj.97
    Please put out food and water for the birds
    • Mrs36
    • By Mrs36 8th Apr 18, 5:53 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    Mrs36
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:53 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:53 PM
    If it didn't sell at auction at 115k, why would you consider paying anywhere near 130k?

A house is only worth what someone will pay, and if no one paid 115k at auction that would suggest the value is less than that, not more, surely?

How much are similar prices locally?
    • Mrs36
    • By Mrs36 8th Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    Mrs36
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    Er, this is the same area, sold for 105k, which would suggest yours is overpriced. It looks to be in better condition than the one you are considering too.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=48727041&sale=5994670&cou ntry=england
    • Mrs36
    • By Mrs36 8th Apr 18, 5:58 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    Mrs36
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:58 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:58 PM
    Gah my link doesn't work and I can't edit my post. Anyway, sold November 2017 and similar style of house.
    • Haylescom
    • By Haylescom 8th Apr 18, 6:14 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    Haylescom
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:14 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:14 PM
    sneaky space in your link Mrs36.
    • Haylescom
    • By Haylescom 8th Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 400 Thanks
    Haylescom
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=48727041&sale=5994670&cou ntry=england and when I tried it vanished!
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 8th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 784 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    If ever you need an example that houses are under valued in some areas, this is it.

If someone GAVE you the land for free, I doubt you could actually build a 3 bed detached for 130K

No wonder house builders are not building in some areas.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 8th Apr 18, 7:13 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    • 8th Apr 18, 7:13 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 7:13 PM
    What is this street like to live in OP? good people? crime?
    • moneyuser
    • By moneyuser 8th Apr 18, 7:22 PM
    • 1,053 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    moneyuser
    Gah my link doesn't work and I can't edit my post. Anyway, sold November 2017 and similar style of house.
    Originally posted by Mrs36
    Big difference is that the one the OP posted is detached.

The last detached house on this street sold 2 years ago for 160k but was 4 bed. Surrounding area has detached houses starting at 155k. There is another one a bit further away on at OO 130k, have you discounted that one? Semi's and terraces have sold in the range 105-120k so price doesn't look bad to me, as long as area is ok and no structural issues. Garden doesn't look great.

Looks like a repossession or probate sale. Have you got any info from from EA? Probably looking for 135k but nothing stopping you making an offer lower than 130k and going up but it doesn't sound like you really want it anyway.
    • thermal2844
    • By thermal2844 8th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    thermal2844
    If it didn't sell at auction at 115k, why would you consider paying anywhere near 130k?

A house is only worth what someone will pay, and if no one paid 115k at auction that would suggest the value is less than that, not more, surely?

How much are similar prices locally?
    Originally posted by Mrs36
    I'm not sure why it didn't sell at 115k at auction, given the market for similar seems to be higher than that (detached).
    • thermal2844
    • By thermal2844 8th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    thermal2844
    What is this street like to live in OP? good people? crime?
    Originally posted by PokerPlayer111
    Seems ok from what I can tell, and from the crime map.
    • thermal2844
    • By thermal2844 8th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    thermal2844
    Big difference is that the one the OP posted is detached.

The last detached house on this street sold 2 years ago for 160k but was 4 bed. Surrounding area has detached houses starting at 155k. There is another one a bit further away on at OO 130k, have you discounted that one? Semi's and terraces have sold in the range 105-120k so price doesn't look bad to me, as long as area is ok and no structural issues. Garden doesn't look great.

Looks like a repossession or probate sale. Have you got any info from from EA? Probably looking for 135k but nothing stopping you making an offer lower than 130k and going up but it doesn't sound like you really want it anyway.
    Originally posted by moneyuser
    Is this the one you mean?
    zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/47129581?search_identifier=c84f34149beab0f555cda67 85628921b

Again apologies for the non-link. If so, I haven't been in person but the Google street view wasn't great. A lot of litter, the road looked in poor condition, there's a footpath running along the property, and although you can't tell from the photos, it appears very overlooked. If I could pick up the house itself and move it elsewhere I'd be happy, but then it'd probably cost more.

Regarding the original house in question, the neighbourhood it's in is fine, but the area to the south is a bit iffy. It doesn't have the best reputation. I wouldn't be doing any shopping etc there, it's more so that it would be driven through daily as it's on the way to get anywhere.

The garden being a shambles I'm ok with, as I enjoy landscaping so I actually prefer a blank slate to work with.

I'm waiting on a call back from the EA, I will ask if it is a repossession or probate.

Regarding wanting it or not...after having looked at so many houses, I don't think I'll be over the moon with anything (in my price bracket), but as long as it generally ticks the boxes that will be ok. The main thing that turns me off most homes is the garden being quite overlooked. That one issue has me dismissing a lot of otherwise fine properties, so I'm willing to compromise in other areas if the garden has some degree of privacy, and a bit of room to garden.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 8th Apr 18, 9:16 PM
    • 7,331 Posts
    • 7,369 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Unlikely to be a repossession if they've been trying to flog it for two years - I am guessing not sold at the auction because it had a reserve price?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 8th Apr 18, 9:53 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 5,782 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Can't post links as a new user but if you copy and paste:
    zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/46729501

Last sale record was 2006 for 134,995

In 2016 it was listed for 150k
    In Nov 2017 it was put on auction for 115k

It is now listed for "offers over" 130k

It ticks the boxes but the prices are all over the place and not a lot of recent sold data for this particular neighbourhood that is comparable. I'm not head over heels so I just want to get a good price in case it needs to be sold for whatever reason down the line and I don't shoot myself in the foot with this "offers over" business.
    Originally posted by thermal2844
    It is in the middle of a massive council estate. There are a couple of roads that are privately owned housing but most of it is council. If you don't mind living in the middle of a council estate then offer what it is worth to you. The reason why there isn't much data on sold prices in the local area is because of the council housing.
    • thermal2844
    • By thermal2844 8th Apr 18, 9:59 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    thermal2844
    It is in the middle of a massive council estate. There are a couple of roads that are privately owned housing but most of it is council. If you don't mind living in the middle of a council estate then offer what it is worth to you. The reason why there isn't much data on sold prices in the local area is because of the council housing.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    Oh good heavens, I did not know that. How can you tell if an area is a council estate? Excuse my ignorance.

I think I'll be taking this one off the list...
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 8th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    • 5,886 Posts
    • 2,321 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Looks like somewhere Dracula would hang out. 80k tops, especially if interest rates rise.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 8th Apr 18, 10:55 PM
    • 4,145 Posts
    • 5,782 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Harold Avenue and Priory Close are council housing. Pontefract Road has council housing on it. Abbots Road is council housing. Willman Road is council housing. Lang Avenue is council housing.

I think the reason that they can't sell it is because of the area that it is in. Not many people want to buy a house to live there and it has that problem with the garden.
    • thermal2844
    • By thermal2844 9th Apr 18, 8:57 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    thermal2844
    Looks like somewhere Dracula would hang out. 80k tops, especially if interest rates rise.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    It does a bit Although to be honest, that doesn't bother me, but then I'm a bit of a recluse myself so maybe I have something in common with Dracula...
    • thermal2844
    • By thermal2844 9th Apr 18, 9:00 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    thermal2844
    Harold Avenue and Priory Close are council housing. Pontefract Road has council housing on it. Abbots Road is council housing. Willman Road is council housing. Lang Avenue is council housing.

I think the reason that they can't sell it is because of the area that it is in. Not many people want to buy a house to live there and it has that problem with the garden.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    Yes I agree. Is there a way to be able to spot that an area is council housing? Going forward that would be very useful. I'm English but was raised for the majority of my life in the States, where council housing like this doesn't exist, so I'm a bit clueless at this point.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,442Users online

Martin's Twitter