PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Offers Over - What do you think about this house?

Can't post links as a new user but if you copy and paste:
zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/46729501

Last sale record was 2006 for £134,995

In 2016 it was listed for £150k
In Nov 2017 it was put on auction for £115k

It is now listed for "offers over" £130k

It ticks the boxes but the prices are all over the place and not a lot of recent sold data for this particular neighbourhood that is comparable. I'm not head over heels so I just want to get a good price in case it needs to be sold for whatever reason down the line and I don't shoot myself in the foot with this "offers over" business.

Comments

• SuperMoose
    SuperMoose Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Please put out food and water for the birds and hedgehogs :)
  • Mrs36
    Mrs36 Posts: 193 Forumite
    If it didn't sell at auction at £115k, why would you consider paying anywhere near £130k?

A house is only worth what someone will pay, and if no one paid £115k at auction that would suggest the value is less than that, not more, surely?

How much are similar prices locally?
  • Mrs36
    Er, this is the same area, sold for £105k, which would suggest yours is overpriced. It looks to be in better condition than the one you are considering too.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=48727041&sale=5994670&country=england
  • Mrs36
    Gah my link doesn't work and I can't edit my post. Anyway, sold November 2017 and similar style of house.
  • Haylescom
    Haylescom Posts: 342 Forumite
    sneaky space in your link Mrs36.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    If ever you need an example that houses are under valued in some areas, this is it.

If someone GAVE you the land for free, I doubt you could actually build a 3 bed detached for £130K

No wonder house builders are not building in some areas.
  • What is this street like to live in OP? good people? crime?
  • moneyuser
    moneyuser Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mrs36 wrote: »
    Gah my link doesn't work and I can't edit my post. Anyway, sold November 2017 and similar style of house.
    Big difference is that the one the OP posted is detached.

The last detached house on this street sold 2 years ago for 160k but was 4 bed. Surrounding area has detached houses starting at 155k. There is another one a bit further away on at OO 130k, have you discounted that one? Semi's and terraces have sold in the range 105-120k so price doesn't look bad to me, as long as area is ok and no structural issues. Garden doesn't look great.

Looks like a repossession or probate sale. Have you got any info from from EA? Probably looking for 135k but nothing stopping you making an offer lower than 130k and going up but it doesn't sound like you really want it anyway.
  • thermal2844
    thermal2844 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mrs36 wrote: »
    If it didn't sell at auction at £115k, why would you consider paying anywhere near £130k?

A house is only worth what someone will pay, and if no one paid £115k at auction that would suggest the value is less than that, not more, surely?

How much are similar prices locally?

I'm not sure why it didn't sell at £115k at auction, given the market for similar seems to be higher than that (detached).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure