PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Offers Over - What do you think about this house?

Options
2»

Comments

• thermal2844
    thermal2844 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What is this street like to live in OP? good people? crime?

Seems ok from what I can tell, and from the crime map.
  • thermal2844
    Options
    moneyuser wrote: »
    Big difference is that the one the OP posted is detached.

The last detached house on this street sold 2 years ago for 160k but was 4 bed. Surrounding area has detached houses starting at 155k. There is another one a bit further away on at OO 130k, have you discounted that one? Semi's and terraces have sold in the range 105-120k so price doesn't look bad to me, as long as area is ok and no structural issues. Garden doesn't look great.

Looks like a repossession or probate sale. Have you got any info from from EA? Probably looking for 135k but nothing stopping you making an offer lower than 130k and going up but it doesn't sound like you really want it anyway.

Is this the one you mean?
    zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/47129581?search_identifier=c84f34149beab0f555cda6785628921b

Again apologies for the non-link. If so, I haven't been in person but the Google street view wasn't great. A lot of litter, the road looked in poor condition, there's a footpath running along the property, and although you can't tell from the photos, it appears very overlooked. If I could pick up the house itself and move it elsewhere I'd be happy, but then it'd probably cost more.

Regarding the original house in question, the neighbourhood it's in is fine, but the area to the south is a bit iffy. It doesn't have the best reputation. I wouldn't be doing any shopping etc there, it's more so that it would be driven through daily as it's on the way to get anywhere.

The garden being a shambles I'm ok with, as I enjoy landscaping so I actually prefer a blank slate to work with.

I'm waiting on a call back from the EA, I will ask if it is a repossession or probate.

Regarding wanting it or not...after having looked at so many houses, I don't think I'll be over the moon with anything (in my price bracket), but as long as it generally ticks the boxes that will be ok. The main thing that turns me off most homes is the garden being quite overlooked. That one issue has me dismissing a lot of otherwise fine properties, so I'm willing to compromise in other areas if the garden has some degree of privacy, and a bit of room to garden.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unlikely to be a repossession if they've been trying to flog it for two years - I am guessing not sold at the auction because it had a reserve price?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can't post links as a new user but if you copy and paste:
    zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/46729501

Last sale record was 2006 for £134,995

In 2016 it was listed for £150k
    In Nov 2017 it was put on auction for £115k

It is now listed for "offers over" £130k

It ticks the boxes but the prices are all over the place and not a lot of recent sold data for this particular neighbourhood that is comparable. I'm not head over heels so I just want to get a good price in case it needs to be sold for whatever reason down the line and I don't shoot myself in the foot with this "offers over" business.

It is in the middle of a massive council estate. There are a couple of roads that are privately owned housing but most of it is council. If you don't mind living in the middle of a council estate then offer what it is worth to you. The reason why there isn't much data on sold prices in the local area is because of the council housing.
  • thermal2844
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    It is in the middle of a massive council estate. There are a couple of roads that are privately owned housing but most of it is council. If you don't mind living in the middle of a council estate then offer what it is worth to you. The reason why there isn't much data on sold prices in the local area is because of the council housing.

Oh good heavens, I did not know that. How can you tell if an area is a council estate? Excuse my ignorance.

I think I'll be taking this one off the list...
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Looks like somewhere Dracula would hang out. 80k tops, especially if interest rates rise.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Harold Avenue and Priory Close are council housing. Pontefract Road has council housing on it. Abbots Road is council housing. Willman Road is council housing. Lang Avenue is council housing.

I think the reason that they can't sell it is because of the area that it is in. Not many people want to buy a house to live there and it has that problem with the garden.
  • thermal2844
    Options
    Looks like somewhere Dracula would hang out. 80k tops, especially if interest rates rise.

It does a bit :rotfl:Although to be honest, that doesn't bother me, but then I'm a bit of a recluse myself so maybe I have something in common with Dracula...
  • thermal2844
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Harold Avenue and Priory Close are council housing. Pontefract Road has council housing on it. Abbots Road is council housing. Willman Road is council housing. Lang Avenue is council housing.

I think the reason that they can't sell it is because of the area that it is in. Not many people want to buy a house to live there and it has that problem with the garden.

Yes I agree. Is there a way to be able to spot that an area is council housing? Going forward that would be very useful. I'm English but was raised for the majority of my life in the States, where council housing like this doesn't exist, so I'm a bit clueless at this point.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes I agree. Is there a way to be able to spot that an area is council housing? Going forward that would be very useful. I'm English but was raised for the majority of my life in the States, where council housing like this doesn't exist, so I'm a bit clueless at this point.

If it looks like this, that is a major clue that it is council, although some more "exclusive" properties in "better" postcodes also look a bit like this, and may have less chance of problem neighbours etc. but wouldn`t be any better as accommodation than this. IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure