Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 1st Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    • 530Posts
    • 5,136Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful
    • 1st Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful 1st Apr 18 at 3:23 PM
    Hello!
    I think this is my third diary - I posted regularly for a long time a year or two ago and then life just got in the way and my focus changed.
    So much has happened recently that I think a new start and a record of my successes and hiccups will help to keep me on track.

So, what's changed...? Well, I'm on the senior leadership team at a large secondary school, live alone with an ancient fat little dog and am in the process of becoming single again after 5 years. My OH became my boss in September and its been downhill since then really, I won't bore you with the details but it's not been great and I finally broached it with him last week and he hasn't spoken to me since ...... Not the reaction I'd hoped for but perhaps expected.
    Earlier this year, I was passed over for a job that I've been doing informally for almost a year and that didn't help matters and have finally found the gumption to start applying for new jobs. That didn't go down well with OH either but he encouraged me to at the time of the original job issue, don't think he thought I would. I've found the work situation really difficult as nobody knows the real reason I didn't get the job and now it's at the point that I don't want to be there anymore.

On top of that, I had some health news that stopped me in my tracks in February - I have the breast cancer gene and have a one in three chance of developing it in the next 8 years.... The hospital have been great and there's a prevention and monitoring plan in place including taking tamoxifen (not lovely side effects but better than cancer!) and lots of screening, but if I'm honest, it's made me reevaluate life a bit.
    Add to that lot that my dad has prostrate cancer that may have spread ( new biopsies soon to confirm ) and the worry that brings (my mum is useless and my sister has disabilities and with the best will in the world still needs care) and I've just had to say enough is enough - I'm 46 and things need to change, life is too short!!

So to sum up.... Relationship going down the swanny, need a new job, health needs serious attention and family all need looking after.

So a new start..... Here we go!! Xx
    Last edited by mumblingtaff; 01-04-2018 at 3:26 PM.
Page 24
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 7th Oct 18, 9:03 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Popped out to Sports Direct to pick up some running kit - not tried it on yet, will do that tomorrow and return anything that I'm not pleased with. Bought some running leggings, a waterproof lightweight running jacket, some socks and a top. Also, ran into The Range to buy a new door mat for OH, the dog had a little tinkle on his old one.....oops!! Only 4.99 so not too bad.

Then went to the pub that my parents want to have lunch in on Xmas day and sorted out the booking and paid the deposit - a good job done as they only had two tables left! It's the beginning of October!! A stroll around the park in the sunshine with the dog followed and a nice tea using up things from the fridge. I've also made a packed lunch for tomorrow.
    I'm shattered tonight - slept really badly last night - and so have spent the evening watching The Commuter on Amazon Prime, the usual Liam Neeson action thriller but entertaining enough.
    Going to bed soon - it's only 9pm - hopefully I'll sleep.....
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 8th Oct 18, 6:07 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Well the sleep completely evaded me last night - was literally awake for most of the night
    Don't know why - was thinking about some work just before bed but listened to the sleep app and went to bed fairly early but my brain was having none of it.....

Never mind, had a busy but good day at work - taught three lessons, did 2 observations and marked a set of books, then gave an hour long presentation at my SLT meeting after school. But, I did manage to leave just after 4pm and was home by 4.30pm, took the dog to the park for 45 mins then went straight out for a medium length run - my first after work in my new job. The pre holiday regime has begun!

Just waiting for tea to cook (using up fresh bits in the fridge) and have no big plans this evening apart from marking another set of books whilst watching the soaps.
    it's "do something special for someone" week at work (a bit like secret Santa) and I got a little bottle of posh vodka as a surprise on my desk this morning - will ignore it for now, I'm being good
    I bought a mammoth bar of chocolate and a little bottle of prosecco for my partner - a bit like a teacher survival kit...

Right, off to put the dry washing away and have a quick tidy round before tea is cooked.....
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 8th Oct 18, 7:10 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 9,137 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    It must have been the night for no sleep last night. DH and I both found it hard to get to sleep, and then to stay asleep, and I've spoken to two other friends today who said the same thing.
    How fab about the holiday and it being already more or less paid for - good for you.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 8th Oct 18, 8:14 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Wonder if it was a full moon Joey

Have had a busy couple of hours - decided to change the bedding and turn the mattress in the vain hope it might help me sleep, then cleaned the kitchen and all of the wooden floors, put a load of washing in, put the bins out, read the meters, made a packed lunch for tomorrow and put clothes ready for the morning. Have also marked exactly half a set of books - bored of it now and don't need them until Wednesday.

Think a bit of telly and a relax are now in order after I've moved some money around the accounts.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 9th Oct 18, 5:45 AM
    • 530 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Had a slightly better sleep last night but the dog was a bit restless so not brilliant but at least I feel like I slept a bit.
    Spoke to OH (who'd had a rubbish day) and watched the first episode of Mindhunter on Netflix - the jury is out on it, I think it might be a grower but will need at least one more episode.

Have a very busy day today - teaching 4 lessons, doing one observation and have a meeting in my only free lesson and then another after school. Never mind at least the day will go quickly.....
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 9th Oct 18, 5:57 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Well, the day whizzed by and didn't even have time to eat lunch - it's still in the fridge at work.....
    Left at 4, took the dog to the park in lovely sunshine and then forced myself out for another run. Hard work, lacking in energy due to lack of food and being on my feet all day but done now.

I have a very rock and roll evening in store - cleaning the bathrooms, finishing a bit of lesson planning for next week and writing a report and possibly hoovering out the car. Exciting or what!!??

Wednesday tomorrow...half way through ....
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 9th Oct 18, 8:38 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Have been very productive considering I'm knackered
    Have given the car a good clean inside and its respectable again now (resembled an extension of the park), cleaned the kitchen, done a load of washing, cleaned both upstairs bathrooms, had a bath and listened to a motivational podcast, planned and resources all my lessons for next week and written the report I've been putting off for ages which took much less time than I thought it would ..... Typical!

That's enough for one day!
    Have done 15000 steps today - deserve a sit down now and a bit of telly.....
    Last edited by mumblingtaff; 09-10-2018 at 8:41 PM.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 10th Oct 18, 8:01 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    A fairly good day - got stuff done at work and lessons went well.
    Sent the report I wrote to the head who was happy with it thankfully, just one more to tweak tomorrow then I'm done with reports for a week or two.
    Have marked a set of tests tonight and done a bit of tarting up of some data for the governors but have run out of steam now.
    Just spoken to OH, he's up to his eyeballs with work this week, feel quite sorry for him, he seems preoccupied and a little bit stressed.

Made a quorn spag bol for tea for me, the dog and the freezer - quite nice but nothing special. I'm doing well with no alcohol, better food and more exercise so far this week. If I can crack the sleeping I'll be on top form it was a bit better last night but still not great.

Just going to take the dog around the block (he's already been to the park tonight) then watch a bit of telly. Nothing exciting today.....
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 10th Oct 18, 9:54 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Got my second wind and marked a class set of long tests - a good job out of the way that would have been done on the weekend otherwise. Pleased that they're out of the way.
    Tired now though - bed soon. Busy day tomorrow - is there any other kind?
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 11th Oct 18, 8:12 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    A really busy day of teaching and doing data and spent the afternoon doing a full faculty review of one of the subjects I manage. Interesting and positive, so worth doing.
    Managed to leave by 4.30 and then after the drive home took the dog to the park for a potter and had a bath and tea. Just marked a set of tests and a class set of extended writing ready for tomorrow - needed doing and I'm glad it's out of the way now.

It's Friday tomorrow - it's nonstop full of teaching, observations and meetings and I'm going to try to leave by 3.30. Fingers crossed.
    It's been a very busy week and I'm pooped.

Spoke to my mum on the drive home and all is well, so nothing to worry about there.

It's payday on Monday and I don't have any big plans for the weekend - trying to economise a bit before going on holiday at half term. Will see what OH fancies doing but he's also had a manic week so I don't think it will be anything overly exciting.
    Going to try to get my fringe trimmed either tomorrow after work or on Saturday - it's driving me around the bend! No running today as it chucked it down after the park walk - will try tomorrow but definitely Saturday if not.

Have sorted my lunch and clothes for tomorrow and so can now have a bit of a rest - won't be late to bed tonight.....
    Last edited by mumblingtaff; 11-10-2018 at 8:16 PM.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 12th Oct 18, 5:19 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Literally haven't stopped all day since I got to my office at 7am....taught 3 lessons, did 3 observations and 3 lots of feedback, had an hour long meeting and did 3 different duties, including one in a gale!
    Traffic on the way home was bad due to the weather but I'm home now and have taken the dog for a good walk to definitely blow away the cobwebs - it was a bit like flying a kite as he's only little and battled against the wind bless him

Phoned the hairdresser on the way home and he can sort my fringe out tomorrow morning so I'll look and feel better.

Going to OHs this evening - he'll either cook or we'll have a takeaway and I'm sure there will be a bottle of wine involved - in fact, as part of the secret buddy week at work, I was given a lovely gift bag full of a bottle of prosecco, a bag of maltesers, a hot water bottle and a tub of hot chocolate and a lovely card. Have also been given a given a lovely make up bag full of face masks etc and some candles, a bag of pens and stationery and a little bottle of vodka! Very generous buddy!

Looking forward to a fairly quiet weekend - this week has been manic!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th Oct 18, 8:52 AM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 36,279 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Your week has definitely been hectic MT - really hope that you manage some relaxation and down time this weekend. Can't be too long until half term for you now? I have another week to get through but am desperately looking forward to a rest. The windy weather hasn't been good for behaviour in school - that's for sure.
    December in the Tardis #16 nsd = 7 New life = new debt
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 13th Oct 18, 10:40 AM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 5,901 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Haven't experienced any other type of day in education, except busy or frantic!

Hope you have a restful weekend.
    paydbx #93 929.08/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 2994 in Aug 18
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 13th Oct 18, 12:10 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Thank you Cat and Honeysuckle- just one more week to go thankfully.....
    This half term has flown - don't know where the time has gone!
    I'm having a day off work today though - not even going to think about it - so there!

Had a busy morning so far - stayed over at OHs last night but was home by about 8.30 this morning - was just too awake to try to stay still and listen to him snore
    Took the dog for a walk, had a bath then popped into the hairdressers for a fringe trim ( much better now), a quick whizz round sainsburys for essentials (23 spent) a 10 minute sunbed (was looking very pale and pasty) and then home to unpack the shopping and clean the kitchen.
    Whilst on a roll, I've hoovered and dusted the whole house and had a general tidy round and watered the plants. Nice and ordered again now.

Also spoke briefly to mum to make sure they're ok in South Wales - the weather is dreadful but they're ok with regards to flooding etc. Dad is just gutted that his golf course is shut and the rugby has been cancelled this afternoon.....

Not sure what the rest of the day will bring yet - will finish watching Good Girls on Netflix (one more episode left) and try to do some exercise but other than that no big plans....
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 13th Oct 18, 5:00 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Have had a quiet afternoon, watching some catch up TV and taking the dog for a long walk whilst it's not raining. Popped round to a neighbours to have a nosey at their new extension - very nice and has given me a few ideas.....

Just checked my online payslip (get paid on Monday) and have been reimbursed for the tax overpayment last month thankfully. Have managed to get to the end of the pay month without dipping into the contingency I'd put aside of the extra half month's pay so things are looking quite healthy financially at the moment. The tax refund will almost pay for the holiday and I'll top it up with some of the spare contingency to make sure it doesn't actually cost anything from savings or stay on the credit card.
    I'll sort out budgets and savings etc for this month's salary on Monday when I can move the money around. The next month is 4.5 weeks long so I need to make sure I budget for 5 weeks really.

OH has made noises about going to the cinema later - quite fancy it so I hope he doesn't change his mind.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 14th Oct 18, 7:23 AM
    • 530 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Huge drama in the night.
    Was in bed with OH and heard the lad next door coming home obviously worse for wear at about 3.30am. It eventually went quiet after about half an hour and then the mum next door was banging on my front door and hysterical. Her son had stopped breathing and was unconscious. Ran straight round, phoned an ambulance and had to do CPR for the 10-15 mins until the paramedics arrived. He was cold, no pulse and not breathing. Scary stuff. Just as they arrived he started breathing again and they took over and got him back but he was gone for a while. They've all gone off to hospital and I haven't heard anything since.
    The lady on the end of the phone was great and talked me through it and when I didn't come back OH came and helped - the paramedic said we'd saved his life. I'm so glad that they teach us to do basic first aid at work and was surprised at how calm we were during it all. Was a bit wobbly afterwards but ok. Just glad we did something, fingers crossed he's ok but he wasn't breathing for a long time.

Obviously couldn't go back to bed after that so we stayed up and eventually OH went home to try to get some sleep. I'm nowhere near being able to sleep so have pottered about and am just waiting for it to get light so I can walk the dog.
    Not the Saturday night I was expecting.....
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 14th Oct 18, 8:18 AM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,557 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Oh MT what a horrible thing to happen to the lad and well done you for taking control of the situation and probably saving his life. I think we go in to adrenaline zone at the time and then fall away after. You could really do with some sleep though.
    CC1 3500 Nov 2018.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 14th Oct 18, 8:26 AM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 5,901 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    My goodness! Wow, well done for your quick thinking. You must be exhausted...hope you have a relaxing day today,
    paydbx #93 929.08/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 2994 in Aug 18
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Oct 18, 9:27 AM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 36,279 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady

MT, you are an absolute hero! I can't believe how matter of fact you sound about it - what a woman!
    I really hope that you're giving yourself the day off from anything even remotely challenging and just relaxing and resting.
    December in the Tardis #16 nsd = 7 New life = new debt
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
  • archived user
    Wow... you are amazing. I hope he recovers. Well done for staying calm & bringing him back!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,374Posts Today

8,004Users online

Martin's Twitter