Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 23rd Mar 18, 1:35 PM
    • 4,861Posts
    • 16,755Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Debt free living and looking to the future.
    • 23rd Mar 18, 1:35 PM
    Debt free living and looking to the future. 23rd Mar 18 at 1:35 PM
    Happy new diary.

I decided that my last diary had become depressing and negative, so here I am shiny new diary, positive outlook and ready to take on the world. I woke up this morning feeling good which is something that hasn't happened for a while, did 30 mins of yoga which left me feeling energised and ready for the day, I also took some time to think about what is good in life and all the positives.

So anyone reading my last diary will know i'm now debt free, not going into the details of how as its all in my last diary, but I do now want to focus on staying out of debt and saving for the future, being thrifty and enjoy my family before they grow and fly the nest. I did think of posting new diary on savings board, but I love the debt free board as everyone is so helpful and positive.

So this is the first day of the new positive me......
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    Long term savings was £10,000 now £5000/borrowed £5000 for new kitchen which I MUST pay back. £5000/£0
Page 4
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 27,474 Thanks
    jwil
    Well done on the sales
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Apr 18, 2:23 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 11,492 Thanks
    redofromstart
    hello, you mentioned elsewhere about wanting a blueberry bush - they had them in the gardening bit of our £shop this morning. Worth a look? Certainly better than the £8 the big chain garden centre wanted this morning!
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 10th Apr 18, 4:43 PM
    • 8,938 Posts
    • 52,729 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Congrats on all the eBay sales.

Hope you had a nice time in town Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 33/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 11th Apr 18, 9:21 AM
    • 4,861 Posts
    • 16,755 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning.

Last day of the school holidays where i'm not running around so we are having a chilled day at home, DH is at the dentist this afternoon fingers crossed he doesn't need anything doing. I will send him to the PO with a couple of e bay parcels to save me a trip out.
    Finances have been checked this morning and a DD for £32 has gone out, I also put £20 of fuel in car yesterday so need to update my outgoings, couple of bits on e bay ending today which currently have bids at £10 so that wil be a bit more for the pot, counted up brown change jar and bagged £7 up will pay that in next time I'm near the bank.
    Also bought DS a couple of birthday bits to open which I need to wrap, he wants money as most teenagers do but I like the children to at least have something small to open, we are also off to the museum of science and industry in Manchester tomorrow, I had offered to pay to go to chill factore but DS chose the museum, which is must cheaper as the museum is free I will leave a token payment though, he then wants to go to Maccy d for lunch. Then home for mum's curry and naan bread and a birthday cake, much cheaper than his sisters meal out, but this is what DS wants bless him.

Sun is shining and a nice breeze is blowing so I have pegged out and have another load in washing, need to make some soup today with some bendy carrots which I will freeze and will do for my lunches next week, found a couple of bits in the freezer for meals for next weeks meal plan, pork steaks, fish and burgers so that's the beginning of 3 meals, I will need to get DH to get more milk and bread whilst he is out this afternoon we are going through so much with the kids being off school, DS is constantly eating either cereal or cheese toasties.

Outgoings -

Bills (direct debit) £51
    Food (eating from stores as much as possible) £300/£61.15.
    Tutor £156.
    Fuel £100/£35
    Weekend away £250
    Total £760.85

To do today-
    Finances
    ebay listing/packing.
    Washing
    surveys
    yoga at some point.
    Soup
    Wrap DS presents.
    paint another kitchen door.
    Make choc tiffin.

To do this week
    Ebay listing
    Surveys
    General housework.
    Paint kitchen units/cupboards.
    Finish paperwork.

Finances today
    0p TT to general savings.
    Grocery budget April £300/£61.15
    NSD 3
    personnel spends
    Make £300/ £140
    Long term savings was £10,000 now £5000/borrowed £5000 for new kitchen which I MUST pay back. £5000/£0
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 11th Apr 18, 12:07 PM
    • 4,861 Posts
    • 16,755 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Quick update before I grab some lunch, item sold on e bay making me £5 and 2 more items ending later which currently have bids of £7 between them. 3 loads of washing done, made tiffin which is setting In the fridge. 3rd load of washing is on and 2 loads are hung on the line just hope they dry. ebay parcels have been wrapped and ready to go when DH goes to the dentist.

Finances today
    Grocery budget April £300/£61.15
    NSD 3
    personnel spends
    Make £300/ £145
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 13th Apr 18, 8:09 AM
    • 4,861 Posts
    • 16,755 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    , didn't manage to get on yesterday as it was DS birthday, we had a lovely day together at the museum he loved seeing the space capsule that Tim peake returned to Earth in, we then had maccy d for lunch and curry and cake for tea, not the healthiest food day but that's what birthdays are about.
    I realised going down the motorway that I had forgotten to take chicken out of the freezer for tea so had to nip to Sainsbury's on the way home so £12.40 spent on a top up shop.

So onto Today, it is blinking miserable and chucking it down, we are talking my grandma to a local garden centre which will be nice to potter around but I must be mindful and not spend money.
    Over the last couple of days I have made another £25 on ebay and redeemed 1000 nectar points from e rewards, I will turn them into ebay voucher. Also received a £3 arcadia voucher for a survey I did but no idea on what or when, anyway its a bonus.

Meals today - breakfast cinnamon bagels, lunch we are out and weather is pants so maybe soup at the garden centre caf!?! Tea - pork burgers, wedges and peas.

Outgoings -

Bills (direct debit) £51
    Food (eating from stores as much as possible) £300/£73.55.
    Tutor £156.
    Fuel £100/£35
    Weekend away £250
    Total £748.45

To do today-
    Finances
    ebay listing/packing.
    Washing 1 load dry on airer due to weather
    surveys
    yoga at some point.
    tidy downstairs.

To do this week
    Ebay listing
    Surveys
    General housework.
    Finish paperwork.

Finances today
    Grocery budget April £300/£73.55
    NSD 3
    personnel spends
    Make £300/ £165
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 13th Apr 18, 10:17 AM
    • 6,248 Posts
    • 23,086 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Morning Pennywise,

Im glad DS had a lovely day out yesterday, birthdays are allll about the food for me .

Enjoy your potter round the garden centre today xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • kerron7
    • By kerron7 13th Apr 18, 9:08 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    kerron7
    Glad to hear DS had a nice day, slightly jealous about the MDs for some reason I've been thinking about Big Macs all week and then I remember I have to weigh in at fat club booo!
    25.02.17 - £20,810.73
    03.06.17 - £19,222.94
    05.04.18 - £18,118.08

Emergency Fund - £1/£500
    • Sunnysam72
    • By Sunnysam72 13th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Sunnysam72
    I've somehow 'broken' our tumble drier - we are also now using airer and radiators - DH can't cope with it! He loves his tumble drier. It eats money though. I can't wait for the sunshine - I can start pegging out again, I'm well jell that you've been able to peg out! It's been foggy and drizzly for days here. I'm getting used to crispy towels dried on the pipes.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Apr 18, 9:08 AM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 27,474 Thanks
    jwil
    Glad you had a nice day out. Well done on the sales!
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 15th Apr 18, 4:06 PM
    • 4,861 Posts
    • 16,755 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Thanks all, last couple of days seem to have been a whirlwind of visiting family and getting ready to go back to school/work but during all that something strange has happened to me I've realised I need to be kind to myself and that its ok to say no and its ok to spend some time on myself and that i'm doing the best I can, it's ok not to get everything done in a day and it's ok for the house not to be spotless, I feel as though a weight has lifted and it feels good.

So didn't get on yesterday as the weather was beautiful and spent it out in the garden, just pottering about getting bits tidied up. DH planted my rhubarb and raspberries, so hopefully they will grow well. would love to get a blue berry bush and a blackcurrant bush but will need to see if pennies will stretch next month to this.

Speaking of pennies, ebay has gone a bit nuts and I have made lots of sales this weekend I currently have £230 and my Grandma gave me 25 Euros so i'm hopeful I will hit my £300 target by Friday.

Been to Mr S this morning and spent £60.25 after £9 off voucher, we are still eating out of the freezer, so I hope to stay under the grocery budget this month. It's also my birthday later this week and DH is taking me out to my favourite little pub for a meal so didn't need to meal plan for that evening.

Outgoings -

Bills (direct debit) £51
    Food (eating from stores as much as possible) £300/£133.80
    Tutor £156.
    Fuel £100/£35
    Weekend away £250
    Total £748.45

To do today-
    Finances
    ebay packing.
    Washing 1 load dry on airer due to weather
    surveys
    yoga at some point.
    Get organised for work/school.
    Make lasagne and scones.

To do this week
    Ebay listing
    Surveys
    General housework.
    Finish paperwork.
    Fill out cricket form for DS

Finances today
    Grocery budget April £300/£133.80
    NSD 3
    personnel spends
    Make £300/ £230 + 25 euros
    Last edited by pennywisepoundstupid; 16-04-2018 at 7:01 AM.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 15th Apr 18, 4:41 PM
    • 1,748 Posts
    • 15,139 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    You're doing amazing on the sales and budgets

I'm glad you're being kinder to yourself too

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 15th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • 8,938 Posts
    • 52,729 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Great news on being kinder to yourself!

Have a lovely birthday Xx

• pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 16th Apr 18, 8:19 PM
    • 4,861 Posts
    • 16,755 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Good evening.

Still trying to be kinder to myself and let things go and have to say it is making me feel a bit more chilled, back to school/work for us today we all took packed lunches and although I didn't manage a NSD all I bought was fuel for the car which is a need not a want. Another ebay sale today to add to the pot, I need to list some more things but to tired tonight so will do tomorrow.

A few DD have gone out of account and tutor has been paid so I have been back through finances and everything seems to be ticking along ok, I have £240 in paypa1, child benefit goes into bank account tomorrow and I think I will get to the end of the month without having to raid savings account.
    Lovely pork casserole for tea tonight that I put in slow cooker this morning and enough to plate a lunch up for DH tomorrow, easy tea tomorrow either scrambled eggs or sausage sandwiches as everyone seems to have different things on.

Outgoings -

Bills (direct debit) £13
    Food (eating from stores as much as possible) £300/£133.80
    Fuel £100/£55
    Weekend away £250
    Total £474.20

To do today-
    Finances
    ebay packing.
    surveys
    yoga at some point.
    Get organised for work/school.
    Pork casserole.

To do this week
    Ebay listing+ packing
    Surveys
    General housework.
    Finish paperwork.
    Fill out cricket form for DS
    Travel insurance.
    List for weekend away.

Finances today
    Grocery budget April £300/£133.80
    NSD 3
    personnel spends
    Make £300/ £240 + 25 euros
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th Apr 18, 8:31 PM
    • 5,983 Posts
    • 40,042 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Great news on the eBay sales and that you're feeling more chilled Well done
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £376.59
    Debt £2240
    Weight loss 2/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th Apr 18, 1:57 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 27,474 Thanks
    jwil
    Glad you are feeling more chilled
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 21st Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 4,861 Posts
    • 16,755 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Afternoon, I hope everyone is enjoying the glorious weather.

Been busy with birthday celebrations and I received some lovely presents, money, gift vouchers and flowers.
    I have hit my target for spends for Paris and i'm getting very excited. but have now come up with a new challenge.

So this might turn into a waffle but need to get it written down, I have been trying to paint the kitchen cupboards which to be honest has been a disaster and a real b***h to do, so onto plan B. I like the layout of my kitchen, it works just hate the kitchen itself and would like an island so DH has priced up replacement units, worktop and tiles, everything the same size and same place as we have, which means he could fit the kitchen himself except for the worktop which we need to ask joiner friend to fit, DH can also tile which is a bonus. The island could be bought and added at a later date and i'm also keeping all appliances except for cooker. So I have decided that this is my next challenge to save up for a new kitchen which I have broken down into stages -

Kitchen units + tiles £1500
    Range cooker and extractor £800
    Island £300
    Joiner friend £100 guesstimate.

I also need to make sure that DS school trip is paid which is £200 a month and I want to save another £650 for hols spends in the summer although I think this might be over generous but would rather have to much than to little.

Other needs are both kids need new duvets as they are getting thin, although these won't be needed until autumn so i'm going to try and save Amazon vouchers to buy these. Ds will need full set of new school uniform this summer as he is growing like a weed, DD is fine as she has stopped growing but may need new school shoes, so need to budget for this as well.

Need to do a food shop tomorrow but hoping to keep it fairly low, have made scones this morning as I had some cream which needed using up and thought a cream tea would be nice, sausages out of freezer for tea with Jkt spuds and salad.

I have also upcycled a shabby picture frame with some of the paint I had bought for the kitchen units, it looks really pretty and I have put in a photo, just need Dh to put it up on the wall.

Right off to do some ebay listing.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 21st Apr 18, 6:35 PM
    • 5,983 Posts
    • 40,042 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    At least you tried with the kitchen cupboards. Replacing the doors and worktops and tiles will give it a new lease of life.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £376.59
    Debt £2240
    Weight loss 2/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 21st Apr 18, 10:21 PM
    • 8,938 Posts
    • 52,729 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Glad you had a lovely birthday.

How long til Paris? Xx

• jwil
    • By jwil 23rd Apr 18, 2:14 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 27,474 Thanks
    jwil
    Glad you had a good birthday. New kitchen plans sound fab, as does trip to Paris!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

453Posts Today

7,202Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin