Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melb
    • By melb 14th Mar 18, 10:03 AM
    • 2,582Posts
    • 958Thanks
    melb
    best solution for internet in short term rental
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:03 AM
    best solution for internet in short term rental 14th Mar 18 at 10:03 AM
    hi there has anyone got an idea of the possibilities for internet in a rented flat on a 6 month contract?

Assuming it is allowable by the landlord, which is the quickest and easiest way to do this?

It is for my daughter and she would use it to watch Netflix and usual internet stuff.

I have looked at the NowTV broadband deal (not including the TV option) who have a monthly rolling contract but would a dongle from EE be a better bet (her mobile contract is with them)

Thanks for any advice. Would a 12 month contract work out cheaper and could she take the extra 6 months with her assuming she doesn't renew after 6 months.
Page 1
    • jeepjunkie
    • By jeepjunkie 14th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    jeepjunkie
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    I'm using the Three HomeFi. 58 for the device and 30pm for 100GB data. 30 day contract. I only get a couple of bars signal but still get 20Mbps down/15Mbps up and feels quick. Netflix does not count towards usage with Go-Binge. No pointless phone line required Cheers
    • melb
    • By melb 14th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    melb
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    excuse my ignorance but is this something that you just plug in and go and does not require any cabling putting in?
    • jeepjunkie
    • By jeepjunkie 14th Mar 18, 3:05 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    jeepjunkie
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:05 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:05 PM
    Just plug in to the mains, that's it. Works off mobile phone masts. Cheers
    • jeepjunkie
    • By jeepjunkie 14th Mar 18, 3:07 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    jeepjunkie
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:07 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:07 PM
    PS to get 100GB data deal visit the store not online. Cheers
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 14th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    Just make sure that Three have coverage wherever your daughter is.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Network/Coverage
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 16th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    • 16th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    • 16th Mar 18, 8:07 PM
    I seem to recall that Zen do a monthly contract, so if there's a phone line, that may suit?
    • aninvasion
    • By aninvasion 16th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    aninvasion
    • 16th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    • 16th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    You have two options that suit the situation best.

Either:

Check their mobile phone contract/mobile itself and see if tethering is an option. This all depends on terms of the contract, how much data included in tariff and signal strength etc.

Or (the better option tbh)

Invest in a mobile broadband contract. You can buy them off of the high-street from shops such as Currys who do monthly rolling contracts. This doesn't have to be a dongle that plugs into a PC because most of them are wireless boxes. Top tip: signing up for a MBB broadband contract *always* works out as cheaper than PAYG.

For Netflix etc you're probs looking at 10GB upwards btw

Hope that helps
    • melb
    • By melb 21st Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    melb
    • 21st Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 21st Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    thanks for all replies. There is no phone line I don't think. The Curry's 4G mobile wifi looks a good bet, although it doesn't say you plug into the mains as someone suggested above, both the EE and Three versions seem to only operate by battery with a life of 6 hours so don't know how practical that would be?
    • jeepjunkie
    • By jeepjunkie 21st Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    jeepjunkie
    Batteries?

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black

Better deal available in store.

Just check the coverage map first.

Cheers
    • Linton
    • By Linton 21st Mar 18, 11:45 AM
    • 9,373 Posts
    • 9,505 Thanks
    Linton
    thanks for all replies. There is no phone line I don't think. The Curry's 4G mobile wifi looks a good bet, although it doesn't say you plug into the mains as someone suggested above, both the EE and Three versions seem to only operate by battery with a life of 6 hours so don't know how practical that would be?
    Originally posted by melb
    They generally operate with a standard mobile phone type usb charger so no problem running them off the mains.
    • melb
    • By melb 21st Mar 18, 12:26 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    melb
    yes sorry I was looking at the mobile wifi which uses rechargeable batteries. I was just speaking to someone from EE who said to stream one netflix film would use in excess of 2 GB so might have to go for a proper broadband connection I think
    • jeepjunkie
    • By jeepjunkie 21st Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    jeepjunkie
    Netflix on 3 Go-binge does not use any data...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,301Posts Today

7,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin