best solution for internet in short term rental

Options
hi there has anyone got an idea of the possibilities for internet in a rented flat on a 6 month contract?

Assuming it is allowable by the landlord, which is the quickest and easiest way to do this?

It is for my daughter and she would use it to watch Netflix and usual internet stuff.

I have looked at the NowTV broadband deal (not including the TV option) who have a monthly rolling contract but would a dongle from EE be a better bet (her mobile contract is with them)

Thanks for any advice. Would a 12 month contract work out cheaper and could she take the extra 6 months with her assuming she doesn't renew after 6 months.

Comments

• melb
    melb Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    excuse my ignorance but is this something that you just plug in and go and does not require any cabling putting in?
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just make sure that Three have coverage wherever your daughter is.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Network/Coverage
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I seem to recall that Zen do a monthly contract, so if there's a phone line, that may suit?
  • aninvasion
    aninvasion Posts: 23 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have two options that suit the situation best.

Either:

Check their mobile phone contract/mobile itself and see if tethering is an option. This all depends on terms of the contract, how much data included in tariff and signal strength etc.

Or (the better option tbh)

Invest in a mobile broadband contract. You can buy them off of the high-street from shops such as Currys who do monthly rolling contracts. This doesn't have to be a dongle that plugs into a PC because most of them are wireless boxes. Top tip: signing up for a MBB broadband contract *always* works out as cheaper than PAYG.

For Netflix etc you're probs looking at 10GB upwards btw

Hope that helps :j
  • melb
    Options
    thanks for all replies. There is no phone line I don't think. The Curry's 4G mobile wifi looks a good bet, although it doesn't say you plug into the mains as someone suggested above, both the EE and Three versions seem to only operate by battery with a life of 6 hours so don't know how practical that would be?
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    melb wrote: »
    thanks for all replies. There is no phone line I don't think. The Curry's 4G mobile wifi looks a good bet, although it doesn't say you plug into the mains as someone suggested above, both the EE and Three versions seem to only operate by battery with a life of 6 hours so don't know how practical that would be?

They generally operate with a standard mobile phone type usb charger so no problem running them off the mains.
  • melb
    Options
    yes sorry I was looking at the mobile wifi which uses rechargeable batteries. I was just speaking to someone from EE who said to stream one netflix film would use in excess of 2 GB so might have to go for a proper broadband connection I think
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure