Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roytom
    • By roytom 13th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 288Posts
    • 35Thanks
    roytom
    What to expect from Lidl 3 year warranty
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    What to expect from Lidl 3 year warranty 13th Mar 18 at 5:06 PM
    I have in the past bought things from Lidl due to the 3 year warranty cover on some of its goods. I regard this as an incentive to buy from them over other sellers.

I understand some sellers try to reduce refunds to take into account the use thatís been made of a product before it becomes unusable - how much this is reduced by depends upon how long it worked for before failure.

And this is what Lidl are trying to do in this case as the failed product is over a year old but, of course, well within the 3 year warranty period - and Iíve got dates proof of purchase.

Therefore what exactly is the Lidl 3 year warranty for then?

Any answers gratefully accepted. Thanks.
Page 1
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 13th Mar 18, 5:17 PM
    • 3,396 Posts
    • 4,972 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:17 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:17 PM
    I have in the past bought things from Lidl due to the 3 year warranty cover on some of its goods. I regard this as an incentive to buy from them over other sellers.

I understand some sellers try to reduce refunds to take into account the use thatís been made of a product before it becomes unusable - how much this is reduced by depends upon how long it worked for before failure.

And this is what Lidl are trying to do in this case as the failed product is over a year old but, of course, well within the 3 year warranty period - and Iíve got dates proof of purchase.

Any answers gratefully accepted. Thanks.
    Originally posted by roytom
    What do the terms of the warranty state?
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 13th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    • 6,326 Posts
    • 6,184 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    Originally posted by roytom
    Lidl tend to put the terms of a product's warranty in the product's manual.

If you don't have a copy of the manual, you might find it here:
    https://www.lidl.com.mt/en/Product-Manuals.htm

Lidl warranties usually talk about 'repair or replace' - see if your product's manual gives them the option of a pro-rata refund as well.

(Having said this, the manual is normally sealed in the box when you buy a product - so you you probably couldn't read these terms before you bought. But perhaps this is a starting point... )
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 13th Mar 18, 5:53 PM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 6,582 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:53 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:53 PM
    Without reading the terms of the warranty I'd imagine it would be along the lines of they will provide a replacement if they still have the item available or refund (partial) if they don't, I'm assuming they also didn't insist on you proving the fault was inherent so it may also extend the burden of proof being on them.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 13th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 8,659 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    I have bought a (quite frankly, embarrassingly) large quantity of items from Lidl (and Aldi), and a proportion have failed... it's no higher a proportion than I would expect, so the list below I would regard as a completely positive experience.

Failures include:
    Drill battery@ month 9... replacement in 5 days (note battery...!)
    Battery charger @ 28 months... new replacement in a week
    Impact drill @ day 1 hour 1.... replaced in 3 days, and I fixed the original, which they let me keep!
    Bathroom scales @ 35 months(!!!) .... new one within a week.
    24" TV, partly faulty(ish), no replacement available..... full refund and keep it!
    Kettle, replaced @ 14 months, then again @30, for a full refund second time as no more available...

They have always fully honoured their guarantee, above and beyond expectations. The only downside, were you to view it so is sometimes phoning an 0800 number that is (free-) transferred to Germany, Austria, or Netherlands, being answered by a "bleedin forrener" speaking forren stuff, who rapidly transitions into perfect English - with a beautiful accent and perfect manner. Then chats about how beautiful Salzburg is, or how the tulips are coming on... Always a pleasant experience... I wish more broke sometimes

Then I call some British number, and cringe at my inability to communicate!
    Last edited by DaftyDuck; 13-03-2018 at 6:20 PM.
    • roytom
    • By roytom 14th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    roytom
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    Lidl warranty details
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    The actual wording of the warranty for this LED light is as follows:-

ē Warranty
    The device has been manufactured to strict quality guidelines and meticulously examined before delivery. In the event of product defects you have legal rights against the retailer of this product. Your legal rights are not limited in any way by our warranty detailed below.
    The warranty for this device is 3 years from the date of purchase. Should this device show any fault in materials or manufacture within 3 years from the date of purchase, we will repair or replace it - at our choice - free of charge to you.
    The warranty period begins on the date of purchase. Please keep the original sales receipt in a safe location. This document is required as your proof of purchase. This warranty becomes void if the device has been damaged or improperly used or maintained.
    The warranty applies to faults in material or manufacture. This warranty does not cover product parts subject to normal wear, thus possibly considered consumables (e.g. batteries) or for damage to fragile parts, e.g. switches, rechargeable batteries or glass parts.
    • roytom
    • By roytom 25th Mar 18, 11:36 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    roytom
    • 25th Mar 18, 11:36 PM
    • 25th Mar 18, 11:36 PM
    One thing I have noticed is that very few of Lidls products now actually have a 3 year warranty..
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 26th Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 8,659 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 26th Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    • 26th Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    As many as ever are covered, if not more.

Where have you got with a warranty claim? What's the problem?
    • Computersaysno
    • By Computersaysno 3rd Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    • 938 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Computersaysno
    • 3rd Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    • 3rd Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    Lidl and Aldi are both pretty great with warranty stuff......

They did have to stop their 'bring it back for a refund within 12 months with no reason needed' policy...since students were buyiong stuff [laptops and TVs etc] and taking it back after 11.75 months!!!
    Welcome to the world of 'Protect the brand at the cost of free speech'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5Posts Today

3,976Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin