What to expect from Lidl 3 year warranty

I have in the past bought things from Lidl due to the 3 year warranty cover on some of its goods. I regard this as an incentive to buy from them over other sellers.

I understand some sellers try to reduce refunds to take into account the use that’s been made of a product before it becomes unusable - how much this is reduced by depends upon how long it worked for before failure.

And this is what Lidl are trying to do in this case as the failed product is over a year old but, of course, well within the 3 year warranty period - and I’ve got dates proof of purchase.

Therefore what exactly is the Lidl 3 year warranty for then?

Any answers gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    roytom wrote: »
    I have in the past bought things from Lidl due to the 3 year warranty cover on some of its goods. I regard this as an incentive to buy from them over other sellers.

I understand some sellers try to reduce refunds to take into account the use that’s been made of a product before it becomes unusable - how much this is reduced by depends upon how long it worked for before failure.

And this is what Lidl are trying to do in this case as the failed product is over a year old but, of course, well within the 3 year warranty period - and I’ve got dates proof of purchase.

Any answers gratefully accepted. Thanks.

What do the terms of the warranty state?
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    roytom wrote: »

Lidl tend to put the terms of a product's warranty in the product's manual.

If you don't have a copy of the manual, you might find it here:
    https://www.lidl.com.mt/en/Product-Manuals.htm

Lidl warranties usually talk about 'repair or replace' - see if your product's manual gives them the option of a pro-rata refund as well.

(Having said this, the manual is normally sealed in the box when you buy a product - so you you probably couldn't read these terms before you bought. But perhaps this is a starting point... )
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Without reading the terms of the warranty I'd imagine it would be along the lines of they will provide a replacement if they still have the item available or refund (partial) if they don't, I'm assuming they also didn't insist on you proving the fault was inherent so it may also extend the burden of proof being on them.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 March 2018 at 7:20PM
    I have bought a (quite frankly, embarrassingly) large quantity of items from Lidl (and Aldi), and a proportion have failed... it's no higher a proportion than I would expect, so the list below I would regard as a completely positive experience.

Failures include:
    Drill battery@ month 9... replacement in 5 days (note battery...!)
    Battery charger @ 28 months... new replacement in a week
    Impact drill @ day 1 hour 1.... replaced in 3 days, and I fixed the original, which they let me keep! :D
    Bathroom scales @ 35 months(!!!) .... new one within a week.
    24" TV, partly faulty(ish), no replacement available..... full refund and keep it!
    Kettle, replaced @ 14 months, then again @30, for a full refund second time as no more available...

They have always fully honoured their guarantee, above and beyond expectations. The only downside, were you to view it so is sometimes phoning an 0800 number that is (free-) transferred to Germany, Austria, or Netherlands, being answered by a "bleedin forrener" speaking forren stuff, who rapidly transitions into perfect English - with a beautiful accent and perfect manner. Then chats about how beautiful Salzburg is, or how the tulips are coming on... Always a pleasant experience... I wish more broke sometimes ;)

Then I call some British number, and cringe at my inability to communicate! :D:D
  • roytom
    roytom Posts: 354 Forumite
    The actual wording of the warranty for this LED light is as follows:-

• Warranty
    The device has been manufactured to strict quality guidelines and meticulously examined before delivery. In the event of product defects you have legal rights against the retailer of this product. Your legal rights are not limited in any way by our warranty detailed below.
    The warranty for this device is 3 years from the date of purchase. Should this device show any fault in materials or manufacture within 3 years from the date of purchase, we will repair or replace it - at our choice - free of charge to you.
    The warranty period begins on the date of purchase. Please keep the original sales receipt in a safe location. This document is required as your proof of purchase. This warranty becomes void if the device has been damaged or improperly used or maintained.
    The warranty applies to faults in material or manufacture. This warranty does not cover product parts subject to normal wear, thus possibly considered consumables (e.g. batteries) or for damage to fragile parts, e.g. switches, rechargeable batteries or glass parts.
  • roytom
    roytom Posts: 354 Forumite
    One thing I have noticed is that very few of Lidls products now actually have a 3 year warranty..
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    As many as ever are covered, if not more.

Where have you got with a warranty claim? What's the problem?
  • Computersaysno
    Computersaysno Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Lidl and Aldi are both pretty great with warranty stuff......

They did have to stop their 'bring it back for a refund within 12 months with no reason needed' policy...since students were buyiong stuff [laptops and TVs etc] and taking it back after 11.75 months!!!
  • Lidl have advised me that after the first year you have to contact customer services at Lidl who will pass on the details of the faulty product to the manufacturer, who may not even be in the UK. They have 10 working days (they don't count Saturday and Sunday) so really it's 2 weeks to contact you about the faulty item. If they don't you can only contact Lidl's customer services again. So basically the 3 year warranty may or may not be worth anything! It appears Lidl only passes on the details of the faulty product to the manufacturer and leave them to sort it out with the customer. 
  • Lidl have advised me that after the first year you have to contact customer services at Lidl who will pass on the details of the faulty product to the manufacturer, who may not even be in the UK. They have 10 working days (they don't count Saturday and Sunday) so really it's 2 weeks to contact you about the faulty item. If they don't you can only contact Lidl's customer services again. So basically the 3 year warranty may or may not be worth anything! It appears Lidl only passes on the details of the faulty product to the manufacturer and leave them to sort it out with the customer. 
    You'll probably find that it's a term of the supplier contract, so they won't want to pee Lidl off and will deal with all claims well. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback