Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NorthEasterner123
    • By NorthEasterner123 11th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NorthEasterner123
    Which ISP?
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    Which ISP? 11th Mar 18 at 6:44 PM
    Hey, first post so please be kind

I am looking to leave BT, they have been shocking in getting issues with house move sorted which resulted in over a month of being offline which could've been handled better. Anyway its going up to 50 odd a month in 2 -3 months.

Looking around I have narrowed to Vodafone, Sky, TalkTalk, EE or Plusnet for Fibre Broadband of up to 76mb (currently getting just short of 70mb with BT).

With Vodafone being the cheapest at 26, TalkTalk 27.50, Plusnet 29.99, Sky 30 and EE 31 per month.

I'm leaning towards Sky as recently taken out a good deal with Sky Q which is getting installed Saturday coming. However putting me off I will not be able to use my own router.

Yet Vodafone, TalkTalk, Plusnet and EE all permit to use own router on their networks.

Has anyone had any experience with the 5 networks? Vodafone looks good but do they actually have their own servers etc or outsource it like SSE do to Daisy Telecoms.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 11th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 4,176 Posts
    • 9,378 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    Read through this board for complaints about various ISPs, or go to ispreview and try to find the worst of a bad lot out of those five.

Buying internet connectivity on price is rarely sensible, it's not like gas or electric and the ISP you chose actually makes a difference to the service you get. Though I don't think there's much between the ones you list as you're buying at the "poundland" end of the market.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • NorthEasterner123
    • By NorthEasterner123 11th Mar 18, 7:06 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NorthEasterner123
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:06 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:06 PM
    Why should it make a difference? Mainly the customer service side of things and problem solving, billing etc. The connection side should all be the same regardless of ISP since all comes down the same wiring, phone line, exchange etc.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 11th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 4,176 Posts
    • 9,378 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    The connection side should all be the same regardless of ISP since all comes down the same wiring, phone line, exchange etc.
    Originally posted by NorthEasterner123
    That's the backhaul, which is a fraction of providing an internet connection.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 12th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    • 8,146 Posts
    • 5,890 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    Looking around I have narrowed to Vodafone, Sky, TalkTalk, EE or Plusnet for Fibre Broadband of up to 76mb (currently getting just short of 70mb with BT).

With Vodafone being the cheapest at 26, TalkTalk 27.50, Plusnet 29.99, Sky 30 and EE 31 per month.

I'm leaning towards Sky as recently taken out a good deal with Sky Q which is getting installed Saturday coming. However putting me off I will not be able to use my own router.
    Vodafone have such shockingly bad customer service that I wouldn't touch them if you paid me.

I use my own router with Sky -- it's very easy to hack the supplied router to extract your login details, which you can then use on a third-party router.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extracting-sky-router-passwords/51163-how-get-username-password-sky-hub-sr101.html
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 31,599 Posts
    • 19,941 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:20 PM
    Out of the ISPs you mention, I would consider Sky & EE but 1 I wouldn't use is Vodafone(or another word if you like) just based on the amount of users reporting problems with them.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 12th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:21 PM
    Why should it make a difference? Mainly the customer service side of things and problem solving, billing etc. The connection side should all be the same regardless of ISP since all comes down the same wiring, phone line, exchange etc.

Customer service as a priority go to Zen or A&A .
    Out of the others and depending upon services required i would be looking at Sky .
    • NorthEasterner123
    • By NorthEasterner123 13th Mar 18, 10:04 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NorthEasterner123
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:04 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:04 AM
    Thanks for your advice.

Ruled out Vodafone now. It will either be Sky, TalkTalk or Plusnet. Depending who is offering best cashback.

Which is more reliable for cashback TCB or Quidco?
    • boatman
    • By boatman 13th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    • 3,899 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    boatman
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    Thanks for your advice.

Ruled out Vodafone now. It will either be Sky, TalkTalk or Plusnet. Depending who is offering best cashback.

Which is more reliable for cashback TCB or Quidco?
    I've found Quidco to be recently, couple of years ago I found TCB better, think its pot luck, just go for the best offer. I'd go Sky for the ISP...
    Last edited by boatman; 13-03-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: ii
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 13th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    shaggy
    everyone has their preferences. Be very careful simply to dismiss one over the other on price or of a bad customer service experience someone may have had.

I personally have found BT reasonable, and have been with them the past 18 months or so. Even when they increased price they offered me a lower priced deal with free BT Sport thrown in.

I find BT's router as having one of the best and strongest ranges especially in a large house. Plusnet is the same as well I believe.

Talk Talk - be careful as connecting to some VPN via talk talk is problematic. I discounted this as I work from home a lot and means cant log on to work from home easily.
    • manutd99
    • By manutd99 16th Mar 18, 1:27 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    manutd99
    which one did you do with?

Im considering plusnet. TalkTalk have 18 months contract so dont want to be tied into 18 months. Had a bad review about sky from a friend so leaves plusnet.

Anyone have plusnet? any good/bad reviews
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 16th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Probably more good reviews for Sky than PN .
    • Xenon
    • By Xenon 16th Mar 18, 5:50 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Xenon
    I moved from Sky Unlimited 17mb to Vodafone 76mb (24pm) on the 12th March - i must say so far (touch wood) it's been fine.
    Any contact through live chat has been quick and easy(lot quicker than Sky ever did).
    The process has been smooth so far - hope it continues.
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 16th Mar 18, 8:03 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    Arklight
    I would avoid Vodafone as a company. I would also be very wary of assuming that anything their advisors told you by chat or any other means, was sorted out - actually was. Or had any basis in reality at all.

Also ten years since they started doing this it appears they still haven!!!8217;t got over their persistent habit of failing to ask departing customers for their final bill adjustment (often only two or three pounds) and then reporting a credit default to Experian.

I know someone this has happened to personally who almost lost her house purchase when she was turned down for a mortgage over a 3.18 default she knew nothing about.

I was a bit surprised she then proceeded to install Vodafone broadband in said house after weeks of hell trying to get them to remove the default. They get internet for roughly half the day.

Vodafone tech support consider that to be quite good.
    Last edited by Arklight; 16-03-2018 at 8:05 PM.
    • carterbequest
    • By carterbequest 16th Mar 18, 11:33 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    carterbequest
    Have been using EE for a few years now. There was some problems with the original set up but since then it has been great.

What I would say is that their customer service has always been excellent and they've sorted any queries out quickly.
    • manutd99
    • By manutd99 16th Mar 18, 11:55 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    manutd99
    Probably more good reviews for Sky than PN .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Might consider Sky

Have been using EE for a few years now. There was some problems with the original set up but since then it has been great.

What I would say is that their customer service has always been excellent and they've sorted any queries out quickly.
    Originally posted by carterbequest
    EE is 18 months contract

As I dont want to be tied into an 18 month contract due to few reasons. I am limited to who I go with

Down to only a few. Sky at 20 a month or BT Student broadband. 9 month contract. 25 a month. Some other eg now TV, post office etc iv heard very little of.

Would ideally wouldn't mind Virgin Media as good experiences with there speed and connection but more expensive. Shame bill credit has dropped to 75 as well as someone mentioning on another thread they did not honour 150 credit (when it was 150). Might've risked it if it was 150 credit. Saving screenshots etc

Is it worth paying the 5 extra for BT for a better reliable connection? Are sky generally ok? as just don't want the hassle of connection dropping.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 17th Mar 18, 9:34 AM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    (post office ) resold talk talk .

Basically your BT connection comes down the same wire as Sky .
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 17th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Would ideally wouldn't mind Virgin Media as good experiences with there speed and connection but more expensive.
    Originally posted by manutd99
    And yet many (very many) on here have had nothing but problems with Virgin. You could go with anyone and find you've got problems as it's going to depend on many factors not least the local infrastructure.
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 17th Mar 18, 4:55 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    Arklight
    Theres either some fundamental engineering problem with the technology that Virgin use to deliver internet that they won!!!8217;t admit to, or their network is very congested and they traffic shape.

I!!!8217;ve known a few people who had Virgin but I don!!!8217;t know anyone who kept it after the initial contract was up.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 17th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    <Virgin but I don!!!8217;t know anyone who kept it after the initial contract was up.>

hundreds of thousands of them .
    unless they are on a very congested box .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

405Posts Today

4,874Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin