Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 8th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 1,319Posts
    • 194Thanks
    littlerock
    How to stop losing track of mobile phone?
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    How to stop losing track of mobile phone? 8th Mar 18 at 12:09 PM
    OH is always leaving his mobile phone somewhere. He gets it out, answers a call, then puts it down nearby and forgets all about it. I think it is partly because he is such a gas bag. If, when he puts it down, he is diverted by someone talking to him, he gets so involved in the conversation he completely forgets about his phone.

It is usually happens in a bar or a club. The phone has his home phone and email on a sticker on it, it but no one ever phones him up to say they have it, it is dependent on him remembering where he thinks he left it when he realises he does not have it any more, and going there. Then they (usually) retrieve it from a drawer. But it would be much easier if he did not forget it in the first place.
Page 1
    • keith1950
    • By keith1950 8th Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    keith1950
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    He sounds like an absolute nightmare.
    Superglue a fastening to the back of the phone and make him wear it round him neck on a bright red ribbon.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 8th Mar 18, 12:46 PM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    iPhones have “Find my iPhone” built in, you can look for your phone using another iPhone. I guess there are similar facilities for other phones, although only for phones with a GPS built in.

You can remotely wipe an iPhone using the same app.

The location accuracy may not be too good if the lost phone is inside a building, as the GPS can’t always obtain good fix indoors, but it would probably give a good idea.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 8th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 8,368 Posts
    • 6,187 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    Google has "find my phone" via myaccount.google.com.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 8th Mar 18, 1:07 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 2,078 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:07 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:07 PM
    iPhones have “Find my iPhone” built in, you can look for your phone using another iPhone.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Additionally if there is an Apple Watch paired with the phone, it can "ping" the phone to get it to make a sonar-like sound.
    • J B
    • By J B 8th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    J B
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    Maybe if it is stolen next time, then he will be more careful?

• eDicky
    • By eDicky 8th Mar 18, 9:37 PM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 1,622 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:37 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:37 PM
    Being a man, he must have pockets in his trousers or jacket. He just has to train himself to always put the phone in his pocket when not using it.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 9th Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    • 7,723 Posts
    • 2,487 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    Then he'll put it in his back pocket and we know what'll happen then...
    • Hoseman
    • By Hoseman 9th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Hoseman
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    Just take it off him until he can prove he can be responsible for it. He can use someone elses phone or a public phone. Anything else won't work short of putting it on a string around his neck.
    • sdduk
    • By sdduk 9th Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    sdduk
    Why not just buy him some cheap normal mobile phones like £5 ones and then when he loses it you have only lost £5.
    Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Mar 18, 6:18 AM
    • 2,843 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Bluetooth headset ? So he does need to remove it from his pocket ?
    • Farway
    • By Farway 10th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    • 6,153 Posts
    • 9,737 Thanks
    Farway
    A bit of string under his jumper and down the sleeves, attached to his phone. As you would with kid's gloves.
    • sdduk
    • By sdduk 10th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    sdduk
    A bit of string under his jumper and down the sleeves, attached to his phone. As you would with kid's gloves.
    Originally posted by Farway
    Ha ha ha Yes didn't think of that one.
    Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Mar 18, 8:44 PM
    • 31,705 Posts
    • 19,995 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Is it just his phone hes terrible with or is it other things too ?
    Last edited by DCFC79; 10-03-2018 at 8:46 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 13th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    littlerock
    Many things...but the phone is the most expensive and inconvenient to lose. It is a Galaxy so does not have the iphone app. Is there anything similar for androids? If it had a location tracking device on it, that would help, as it would save him searching house and car before realising he had left it somewhere else.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Mar 18, 8:17 PM
    • 31,705 Posts
    • 19,995 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Many things...but the phone is the most expensive and inconvenient to lose. It is a Galaxy so does not have the iphone app. Is there anything similar for androids? If it had a location tracking device on it, that would help, as it would save him searching house and car before realising he had left it somewhere else.
    Originally posted by littlerock
    I dont know to be honest.

Other option is to attach the phone to say his belt by way of a chain.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 13th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    stragglebod
    See post 4
    • J B
    • By J B 13th Mar 18, 10:27 PM
    • 2,741 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    J B
    Many things...but the phone is the most expensive and inconvenient to lose. It is a Galaxy so does not have the iphone app. Is there anything similar for androids? .
    https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

3,152Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin