Child care vouchers AND tax free scheme??

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice please.

Currently on maternity leave with first child. Husband started collecting childcare vouchers through his employer this February (higher rate tax payer) Unfortunately I have missed the deadline so I am unable to claim and only option now is government tax free scheme for me.

My question is, can we pay for childcare using a combination of my husbands vouchers and payments via government tax free scheme? Or Will we have to "use up" my husbands vouchers first to pay for childcare for the first month or two then cancel his voucher scheme and continue with government scheme?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Paparika
    Paparika Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    If your employer does do vouchers, do check to see if the March order is open with them, if so register now. If not ask if they are willing to raise an additional order for you.

You say you are on mat leave, where abouts in that are you.. Mat Pay or SMP. If Mat pay and you can get on the order, you only need to have March order to qualify and then you can stop vouchers until your return to work as long as it's within 12 months of your March order.
    If you are on SMP then consider your Kit days or wave £20 at your payroll and ask them to honour the March order. (They don't have to, not legally need to, so be nice in asking)

If your employer says no.....

https://www.giveyourselfachoice.com

You can NOT have vouchers and TFC it's one or the other.

Remember the vouchers are valid until the September after your child's 16th birthday so you don't have to spend them all now, you can save them until later, you can use your voucher account like a bank account if you want.
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure