Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 7th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 601Posts
    • 84Thanks
    Seagull27
    Does a house HAVE to be decorated before selling?
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    Does a house HAVE to be decorated before selling? 7th Mar 18 at 2:56 PM
    Hi all

I'm just curious really... I know it makes a lot of sense to decorate before selling, so that it is more attractive to viewers, etc. But what state of decoration does it HAVE to be in when sold? And are there any other things which must be done?

I'm still in the first house I ever bought, so the selling side of things is all new to me...

Cheers
Page 2
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 8th Mar 18, 7:21 AM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 19,038 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    I am much more interested in the state of repair than the decoration because we will almost certainly want to decorate to our taste. As long as it is reasonably clean I wouldn't worry.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 8th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Ours is currently on the market because we are having to move sooner than we thought we would be.

Because of this, we haven't got round to fitting cupboard doors to the newly refurbished kitchen or even getting carpet down upstairs but most viewers have said not to bother as they can choose themselves.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 8th Mar 18, 8:42 AM
    • 6,410 Posts
    • 13,194 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    No, I wouldn't redecorate unless you have glaringly garish colours everywhere. Just de clutter, tidy and clean it. Most people will want to redecorate themselves anyway.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • fromtheshires
    • By fromtheshires 8th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    fromtheshires
    When I recently sold, I painted the walls all magnolia and replaced the carpets 6 months before to a neurtal hard wearing carpet.

That way it was a blank canvas as some people cannot see through your own styles. It also let it have that lived in not perfect look as well which meant that people were not suspicious. It didnt cost a lot either. 500 for the whole house to be carpeted apart from the living room and kitchen and a couple of tins of magnolia.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Mar 18, 10:44 AM
    • 32,036 Posts
    • 19,224 Thanks
    getmore4less
    if everything is currently neutral and in good order so any preparation for redecoration is minimal then the odd scuff/fade from furniture and pictures will not be an issue for someone that has done a bit of decorating before.
    • Tootling
    • By Tootling 8th Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Tootling
    Haha... We went through the same quandry. But we did have to do a bit of decoration cos just before we decided to move we'd been daubing different coloured paint on the wall because we were considering redecorating. So painted over that with the old colour. Did paint hallway white though as we'd already started painting the downstairs walls. Which did brighten up the entrance a lot. And put in some white lights rather than the dull yellow.

I think it's fair to spruce your home up a little, maybe throw out the dead pot plant, hang a mirror up maybe if you want to make a room feel a bit bigger or brighter.

But i don't think you really need to repaint, unless all your paint is chipping of the walls which from the sound of it, it isn't.

I think it's a pride thing. Your selling off your home, you want people to like it not just cos you're selling it but cos... It is your home.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,026Posts Today

5,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin