default removal

Could someone please advise how I would get a default removed from my credit file if it has not been paid, but is 6 years old?

I have been told they 'drop off' your report after 6 years regardless of whether they have been paid or not, however upon checking the Experian report in the MSE credit club, it is unclear as to when it was entered as defaulted. It simply says 'account settled 8/3/2012', even though it has never been 'settled'?

I would ask Experian but there is no link anywhere when in the credit report tab to contact anyone?

Anyone have any ideas please.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• What date did the account default on?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Englishdad,

A debt will show on your credit file for 6 years from the date of default or the date it is satisfied (if the account never defaulted).

Sometimes, an account can be marked as 'settled' when the account is sold between companies, but this should have no bear on the 6 year rule above. Credit files can take up to 1 month to update, so if this is the correct date (March 2012), then you probably need to give it a bit more time to come off before taking any action.

I am not sure this is the correct date (as you say you never paid it) but, one option you have is to complain that the account is still showing when you feel it should've come off. However, you need to be careful about complaining as well. A complaint would very likely be considered an acknowledgement of the debt, and depending on what this debt is; you may find that by complaining about this entry, you then need to repay the debt. (This falls into advice about the Limitations Act, which may be better posed in DFW).

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • englishdad
    englishdad Posts: 23 Forumite
    Hi

Many thanks both for your replies, I have no idea of the exact date it defaulted, it does not say, only 'account settled' 8/3/2012??

How would I find out the defaulted date without asking?

It sounds like a paradox situation where you can only find out when it defaulted by asking and you can't ask without acknowledging it and paying it, so it would seem that every company, regardless of the law, have got you by the danglies every time and if it doesn't automatically come off you are stuck with it forever.

It's a bit like the infamous internet game where, if you mention the game, you've lost! :)
  • What report/s are you checking?

There should be a marker or a line on the account that states the default date
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: https://www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: https://www.noddle.co.uk

What is the date of default in the other 2 files?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 March 2018 at 4:35PM
    Candyapple wrote: »
    The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: www.noddle.co.uk

What is the date of default in the other 2 files?

As well as Noddle you can access your Call Credit report via Totally Money, can use the phone app or the website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure