Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Olly98
    • By Olly98 6th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Olly98
    What saving account?
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    What saving account? 6th Mar 18 at 12:45 PM
    So Iím a student starting placement in July and plan to save a large majority of my pay during the 12 months.

However Iím unsure on the best way to save, my original plan was to open a Help to Buy ISA, however with the maximum monthly limit being £200 and looking at saving more than that on a monthly basis and so Iím unsure the best way to go about saving. Anyone got any advice?

Thanks
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 6th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    • 7,446 Posts
    • 8,027 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    If you're saving with a first-time property purchase in mind then a Lifetime ISA offers the same 25% government bonus but on a larger amount - a 12 month period starting in July would span two separate tax years and so you could pay £8K into it over that time.

You have to have a LISA open for 12 months before using it without penalty if that's relevant to your situation....
    • Olly98
    • By Olly98 6th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Olly98
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    Thanks.. I had looked at a LISA, however was under the impression that they money wasn!!!8217;t eligible for withdrawal within a certain term and would like the security knowing if I needed some of it I could withdraw an amount.. I shall look into this further thanks
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 6th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 7,446 Posts
    • 8,027 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    Thanks.. I had looked at a LISA, however was under the impression that they money wasn!!!8217;t eligible for withdrawal within a certain term and would like the security knowing if I needed some of it I could withdraw an amount.. I shall look into this further thanks
    Originally posted by Olly98
    Yes, LISA savings can only be withdrawn without a 25% penalty charge if you're buying a first property or keeping them until 60.

Plenty of other options are available if you're keen on easy access, see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account - you may find a blended approach works, whereby you put some of your money into a LISA and the rest into one or more regular savers and/or interest-paying current accounts....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

3,103Users online

Martin's Twitter