Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 5th Mar 18, 8:23 PM
    • 2,240Posts
    • 3,053Thanks
    Robisere
    Online Deliveries: WARNING.
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:23 PM
    Online Deliveries: WARNING. 5th Mar 18 at 8:23 PM
    Don't know where else to put this, but it's information from two separate and different Delivery company drivers.

I pick up my grandson from work every Friday and Monday. Today he told me that his engineering company had a delivery from Fedex and the driver informed him that Fedex were 4,000+ deliveries behind, across the UK. About 2 hours ago, I had a delivery from Yodel in a plain white van and the driver told me that Yodel were, nationally, over 10,000 deliveries behind as of 10 am today. He was a private courier who had been hired by Yodel, and the information he received was that every delivery company in the UK is looking to hire temporary owner/drivers on short-term contracts.

Down to weather obviously, but if you cannot receive an expected delivery, don't panic: not the company's fault.

Apparently much of Europe is in the same position.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 5th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    It's common sense that there will be some delays after bad weather, but the numbers you describe are nothing to courier firms.

My Yodel deliveries never turn up in a branded van. I don't know any big courier that doesn't contract out to self employed individuals. Nothing you describe is particularly out of the ordinary.
    • photome
    • By photome 5th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 13,099 Posts
    • 8,651 Thanks
    photome
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    As Boris pays those figures are tiny to a nationwide delivery company
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 6th Mar 18, 12:27 AM
    • 2,914 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:27 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:27 AM
    My Amazon delivery scheduled for today (Tuesday) was delivered Monday.

This was a Prime order placed on Saturday evening so assumed the Tuesday schedule was to compensate for the weather disruption, but they are obviously doing better than they thought they would.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 6th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 9,152 Posts
    • 13,288 Thanks
    meer53
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    I've had 3 orders delivered as normal and 2 online food shopping orders delivered too, despite the snow and ice. To be honest i would expect some disruption when the weather is as bad as it's been.
    • Estelle77
    • By Estelle77 6th Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Estelle77
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    I was supposed to receive some paper on Saturday. Still don't have it.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 6th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    • 3,271 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:50 PM
    Don't know where else to put this, but it's information from two separate and different Delivery company drivers.

I pick up my grandson from work every Friday and Monday. Today he told me that his engineering company had a delivery from Fedex and the driver informed him that Fedex were 4,000+ deliveries behind, across the UK. About 2 hours ago, I had a delivery from Yodel in a plain white van and the driver told me that Yodel were, nationally, over 10,000 deliveries behind as of 10 am today. He was a private courier who had been hired by Yodel, and the information he received was that every delivery company in the UK is looking to hire temporary owner/drivers on short-term contracts.

Down to weather obviously, but if you cannot receive an expected delivery, don't panic: not the company's fault.

Apparently much of Europe is in the same position.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Presumably you and your grandson are not keen news followers and don't live in a part of the country that was snowed on.

Yodel delivers 155,000,000 parcels a year. A 10,000 backlog is tiny.

Probably a similar story with FedEx.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 10th Mar 18, 7:00 PM
    • 2,240 Posts
    • 3,053 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:00 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 7:00 PM
    Hi Snow Tiger
    Gson and I (and the rest of the family) live in beautiful East Lindsey, Lincolnshire. We had our ration of snow, though we escaped much of the misery that the rest of the UK suffered. We all keep abreast of news, myself particularly: I follow Reuters, several other online news apps and CNN. I also have relatives in the far north of Scotland and am in contact with them. So I was not unaware of the effects of recent adverse weather. My post was meant to reassure those who may not be aware: believe me there are some, including some elderly and housebound neighbours waiting for deliveries that are their necessities.

I apologise for not having your own comprehensive knowledge of delivery company statistics and I promise to learn a little more about that subject. Now, if you could just look down from your ivory tower, you might pity the ignorant, unlearned masses below.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,841Posts Today

8,842Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin