Online Deliveries: WARNING.

Don't know where else to put this, but it's information from two separate and different Delivery company drivers.

I pick up my grandson from work every Friday and Monday. Today he told me that his engineering company had a delivery from Fedex and the driver informed him that Fedex were 4,000+ deliveries behind, across the UK. About 2 hours ago, I had a delivery from Yodel in a plain white van and the driver told me that Yodel were, nationally, over 10,000 deliveries behind as of 10 am today. He was a private courier who had been hired by Yodel, and the information he received was that every delivery company in the UK is looking to hire temporary owner/drivers on short-term contracts.

Down to weather obviously, but if you cannot receive an expected delivery, don't panic: not the company's fault.

Apparently much of Europe is in the same position.
I think this job really needs
a much bigger hammer.

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It's common sense that there will be some delays after bad weather, but the numbers you describe are nothing to courier firms.

My Yodel deliveries never turn up in a branded van. I don't know any big courier that doesn't contract out to self employed individuals. Nothing you describe is particularly out of the ordinary.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    As Boris pays those figures are tiny to a nationwide delivery company
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My Amazon delivery scheduled for today (Tuesday) was delivered Monday.

This was a Prime order placed on Saturday evening so assumed the Tuesday schedule was to compensate for the weather disruption, but they are obviously doing better than they thought they would. :T
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've had 3 orders delivered as normal and 2 online food shopping orders delivered too, despite the snow and ice. To be honest i would expect some disruption when the weather is as bad as it's been.
  • Estelle77
    Estelle77 Posts: 74 Forumite
    I was supposed to receive some paper on Saturday. Still don't have it.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Robisere wrote: »
    Don't know where else to put this, but it's information from two separate and different Delivery company drivers.

I pick up my grandson from work every Friday and Monday. Today he told me that his engineering company had a delivery from Fedex and the driver informed him that Fedex were 4,000+ deliveries behind, across the UK. About 2 hours ago, I had a delivery from Yodel in a plain white van and the driver told me that Yodel were, nationally, over 10,000 deliveries behind as of 10 am today. He was a private courier who had been hired by Yodel, and the information he received was that every delivery company in the UK is looking to hire temporary owner/drivers on short-term contracts.

Down to weather obviously, but if you cannot receive an expected delivery, don't panic: not the company's fault.

Apparently much of Europe is in the same position.

Presumably you and your grandson are not keen news followers and don't live in a part of the country that was snowed on.

Yodel delivers 155,000,000 parcels a year. A 10,000 backlog is tiny.

Probably a similar story with FedEx.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi Snow Tiger
    Gson and I (and the rest of the family) live in beautiful East Lindsey, Lincolnshire. We had our ration of snow, though we escaped much of the misery that the rest of the UK suffered. We all keep abreast of news, myself particularly: I follow Reuters, several other online news apps and CNN. I also have relatives in the far north of Scotland and am in contact with them. So I was not unaware of the effects of recent adverse weather. My post was meant to reassure those who may not be aware: believe me there are some, including some elderly and housebound neighbours waiting for deliveries that are their necessities.

I apologise for not having your own comprehensive knowledge of delivery company statistics and I promise to learn a little more about that subject. Now, if you could just look down from your ivory tower, you might pity the ignorant, unlearned masses below.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family