Tampered ATM discovered - Reward?

Options
Hi folks,

On saturday I found a HSBC atm that had been tampered with to steal peoples cards using the "lebanese loop" method. Luckily the trap was already closed when I tried to use the machine so it didn't get me, and since discovering it I have reported it to the Police and had it dealt with.

I've had it suggested to me by some people that I might be entitled to some form of reward from HSBC/Police for this discovery and report...however I don't know if this is true? If anyone knows anything extra regarding this topic I'd sure appreciate being educated!

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought the ATMs had been modified these days to stop the loop
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • dixonrussell
    Options
    I thought so too, got a video of the !!!!!!! The police said I got real lucky and that this particular one likely used a camera or keylogger that transmits the pin code to a wifi device nearby...crazy technology!

My wondering is that I've just potentially saved the bank a whole bunch of headaches as it was on a fairly busy parade of shops/banks, would I get a reward for clocking it and reporting it immediately?
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The warm fuzzy feeling of stopping fellow humans being conned not enough then? ;)
  • dixonrussell
    Options
    Hahaha not at all ;)

My folks made the suggestion and LINK last year said they were paying rewards for reporting these types of crimes, if these banks/companies have reward money aside for these things then it'd be silly not to ask, it's the banks money after all, not the peoples ;)

Personally I'm not fussed, I didn't even think about rewards until they suggested it xD
  • drphila
    drphila Posts: 288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Out of interest, was the ATM outside a bank, and if so was the bank open?
  • dixonrussell
    Options
    It was outside the bank yes, and it was almost 6pm on Saturday so it wasn't open, I'd have gone straight into the branch if it were. Only option was to call 101.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope that is not your real name. Some of this type of crime is organised by gangs and it should be easy to find you. Keep your wits about you for a while and keep your legs in one piece!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ...... it's the banks money after all, not the peoples ;).........

no, the bank get their money from the customers; the more they pay out in compo or 'rewards' the more they need to get in customer charges.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never heard of any such reward being offered. I would be astonished, and disappointed, if the police did it, but there's no harm in asking HSBC, just be prepared for the answer to be No.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure