Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pushing40
    • By pushing40 5th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 62Thanks
    pushing40
    Suspected affair - Tracking a mobile phone
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    Suspected affair - Tracking a mobile phone 5th Mar 18 at 1:56 PM
    Hello. I need some advice/information.

I suspect my husband might be having an affair. Occasionally, he will go somewhere for the evening and tells me he's going out with a friend, but I suspect he's not.

Is it possible to track his whereabouts based on his phone? He has an iphone. I did a quick google search and there are several companies that claim they can tell you the location of any mobile phone - for a fee. If I pay the fee, will I be able to see the location of his phone?

I know there are various apps that enable this, but I believe (tell me if I'm wrong) that it would require him to install the app on his phone and authorise me to view his location.

If he has "location" turned off on his phone (which I suspect he does have turned off) would these websites work, or are they a money making scam?
Page 1
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 5th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    • 1,283 Posts
    • 4,597 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    Have you considered actually talking to your husband before you spy on him?
    • pushing40
    • By pushing40 5th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    pushing40
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    Originally posted by Lioness Twinkletoes
    I knew I'd get replies like this.

He's hardly going to admit it is he? I'd rather have some evidence of his infidelity, rather than just a hunch, before I bring the subject up.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:05 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:05 PM

I suspect my husband might be having an affair. Occasionally, he will go somewhere for the evening and tells me he's going out with a friend, but I suspect he's not.

Is it possible to track his whereabouts based on his phone? He has an iphone. I did a quick google search and there are several companies that claim they can tell you the location of any mobile phone - for a fee. If I pay the fee, will I be able to see the location of his phone?

I know there are various apps that enable this, but I believe (tell me if I'm wrong) that it would require him to install the app on his phone and authorise me to view his location.

If he has "location" turned off on his phone (which I suspect he does have turned off) would these websites work, or are they a money making scam?
    Originally posted by pushing40
    1: no they will be scamming you.
    2: it's possible using certain apps, but - Only if you want to go to prison.....
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    I knew I'd get replies like this.

He's hardly going to admit it is he? I'd rather have some evidence of his infidelity, rather than just a hunch, before I bring the subject up.

And knowing his location will give you what evidence exactly?
    • pushing40
    • By pushing40 5th Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    pushing40
    1: no they will be scamming you.
    2: it's possible using certain apps, but - Only if you want to go to prison.....
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Thank you. That's what I thought.
    • pushing40
    • By pushing40 5th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    pushing40
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    And knowing his location will give you what evidence exactly?
    That he's lying. If you've nothing to hide, why lie?
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 5th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    • 13,975 Posts
    • 26,741 Thanks
    onlyroz
    You can track phones with the Find Friends app, which is built into iPhones by default. But yes, he'd have to agree to let you track him.

I routinely track my husband and kids - it's very useful for when it comes to planning meal times, or when we go out for the day and get separated, e.g. the one who is doing the cooking can see how far from home the other one is and make a judgement on whether to put the pasta on yet.

My mum also uses it to keep tabs on my dad, who has mild dementia.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    That he's lying. If you've nothing to hide, why lie?
    But it wouldn't if it showed a bar or a restaurant or a caf! or whatever.

Look I don't know if he's having an affair or not, but if you question him every time he goes out (and you must to consider having a comparison address to track) then you will push him away for good.

Does he hide his phone, where he previously didn't? Does he get dressed up where he previously wouldn't? Who do you think it is - you must have an idea.
    • pushing40
    • By pushing40 5th Mar 18, 2:11 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    pushing40
    You can track phones with the Find Friends app, which is built into iPhones by default. But yes, he'd have to agree to let you track him.

I routinely track my husband and kids - it's very useful for when it comes to planning meal times, or when we go out for the day and get separated, e.g. the one who is doing the cooking can see how far from home the other one is and make a judgement on whether to put the pasta on yet.

My mum also uses it to keep tabs on my dad, who has mild dementia.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    Yes, I've seen that I have that app on my phone - but I don't seem to be able to see details of anyone else on there. That's what made me assume that they must have to do something on THEIR phone for me to be able to see it on MY phone.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 5th Mar 18, 2:11 PM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 7,080 Thanks
    Oakdene

What has made you suspect this?
    Hiraeth
    • pushing40
    • By pushing40 5th Mar 18, 2:12 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    pushing40
    But it wouldn't if it showed a bar or a restaurant or a caf! or whatever.

Look I don't know if he's having an affair or not, but if you question him every time he goes out (and you must to consider having a comparison address to track) then you will push him away for good.

Does he hide his phone, where he previously didn't? Does he get dressed up where he previously wouldn't? Who do you think it is - you must have an idea.
    All of those things: secretive with his phone, (it's always on his person or turned off - never left lying around), he goes out more, he's unavailable when I try to ring him when out, he's distant with me and disinterested in doing things with me, constantly texting someone with a smile on his face, the list goes on really...
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 5th Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 13,975 Posts
    • 26,741 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Yes, I've seen that I have that app on my phone - but I don't seem to be able to see details of anyone else on there. That's what made me assume that they must have to do something on THEIR phone for me to be able to see it on MY phone.
    You have to mutually agree to be able to track each other. Personally I'm OK with my immediate family being able to see where I am, but I can see why some people (even those with nothing to hide) wouldn't be happy with it. For example I'd never let my mum track me because she's nosy and she wouldn't be able to help herself from constantly asking me why I was in place XYZ.
    • pushing40
    • By pushing40 5th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    pushing40
    What has made you suspect this?
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    I've never met this "friend". He has plenty of friends who I regularly meet and chat to. But this one is one that I couldn't possibly confirm whether or not he was with them.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 5th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 3,291 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Originally posted by Lioness Twinkletoes

Don't waste your time doing this, this will spin it around on you, evidence is key, and go with your gut instinct - personal experience.
    • pushing40
    • By pushing40 5th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    pushing40
    Don't waste your time doing this, this will spin it around on you, evidence is key, and go with your gut instinct - personal experience.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Exactly. My gut tells me something is wrong. I just need some evidence. But I can't follow him and just wondered if there was someway of tracking his phone without him knowing.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 5th Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    All of those things: secretive with his phone, (it's always on his person or turned off - never left lying around), he goes out more, he's unavailable when I try to ring him when out, he's distant with me and disinterested in doing things with me, constantly texting someone with a smile on his face, the list goes on really...
    In which case it's time to talk.

If he's having an affair, which presumably would end the relationship for you, he may well be open about it.
    • pushing40
    • By pushing40 5th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    pushing40
    In addition, I don't want him to know that I suspect something. Forewarned is forearmed. If he knows I'm onto him, he'll just get cleverer with his deceit.
    • keith969
    • By keith969 5th Mar 18, 2:22 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    keith969
    google 'gps tracker'.
    Heaven wasn't built in a day
    • pushing40
    • By pushing40 5th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    pushing40
    google 'gps tracker'.
    Originally posted by keith969
    And do what with it? Put it in his car?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

420Posts Today

4,985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin