Benefits and Mortgage? Confused?!

Hi, so I'm genuinely confused on the current situation I am in, please no judgement or being rude..

I am a single parent to my 2 year old daughter claiming universal credit (housing benefit, child tax credits, child benefit and income support). My landlord is selling the property I am currently renting and wants me out within 2 months. I am wanting to move in with my boyfriend and make a joint claim based on his wages, however he currently owns a 1 bedroom flat and is still paying the mortgage. Obviously it isn't suitable for all 3 of us to live in (I have just found out I am pregnant so will be 4 of us) so he is going to put it on the market in hopes of buying a house for us all. In the meantime though we will have to rent together until his flat is sold (god knows how long it could take?) my question is because he owns another property would we be entitled to any benefit top ups in the meantime? If we was just to live on his wage (just above national living) we wouldn't survive so can't afford to do that? I am so confused on what we can do and have got less than 2 months so get things sorted.. would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• BAFE
    BAFE Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Your child and working tax credits and would be dependant on the household income but as his income is low and yours in nil then you should receive the maximum WTC and CTC and obviously you'd still get child benefit. Your boyfriend won't be eligible for housing benefit because he owns a property.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You may be eligible for housing benefit depending on the amount of equity in his existing property. Do you know how much the property is worth, and how much mortgage he has outstanding?

But what you first need to do is check if you would be in a universal credits area, as if you are then capital could exclude you from the equivalent of tax credits also.
  • !!!55357;!!!56834;!!!55357;!!!56834;!!!55357;!!!56834; and I presume you've led a perfect life and probably born with the silver spoon in your mouth, so sorry we can't all be perfect !!!55357;!!!56842; Don't judge people's situations when you have no idea what life they have lead to get to that point!
  • Thank you to the two people who have actually taken their time to be helpful-I really appreciate that!
    If we received working/child tax credits then I'm sure we could afford the rent so not receiving housing benefit wouldn't be the end of the world.. plus we would only be claiming what the government says we are entitled to so I don't see any shame in that.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    plus we would only be claiming what the government says we are entitled to

That sounds familiar....surely Andy isn't striking again!
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Teahfc wrote: »
    Now you have got that off your chest how about step down and leave the opening poster to get some assistance on her question.
    If you have a problem with people and benefits then go to the the discussion thread and vent your un called for rant to fellow bigots.

I have no problems with "people and benefits" and don't think I'm a bigot for expecting adults to take responsibility. The OPs partner owns a home, maybe not ideal for an increased family but that was a choice they made. Why should others pay for that choice?
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You say your claiming UC & many other old style benefits that's not right it's one or the other but not both together, so is it UC or Income Support?

And check using your postcode if your area is a full UC area yet here https://universalcreditinfo.net/
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    xylophone wrote: »
    That sounds familiar....surely Andy isn't striking again!

There's nothing in the OP's posts that suggests a troll. It's certainly not one of andyandflo's tall tales.

Danilou, please check whether you will fall under Universal Credit or the old style benefits, as your entitlement could differ significantly.

LilElvis, wind your neck in! The OP has asked a valid question, not for your comments on her life circumstances.
  • Sorry I wasn't very clear, I claim full universal credit (was switched over from the old style in December), how would this affect me? Like I have said the housing benefit I wouldn't need to claim anyway, it is more along the lines of WTC and CTC... I am just a normal working class person who genuinely has found herself in this situation who needs advice, I don't really need a 'telling off' about my life situation, I wouldn't have posted on this site if I wasn't in need of help.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't worry about it, I don't think you were being 'told off'...it's just incredibly difficult to give pertinent advice if the situation isn't made clear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure