Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Danilou92
    • By Danilou92 4th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Danilou92
    Benefits and Mortgage? Confused?!
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    Benefits and Mortgage? Confused?! 4th Mar 18 at 7:57 PM
    Hi, so I'm genuinely confused on the current situation I am in, please no judgement or being rude..

I am a single parent to my 2 year old daughter claiming universal credit (housing benefit, child tax credits, child benefit and income support). My landlord is selling the property I am currently renting and wants me out within 2 months. I am wanting to move in with my boyfriend and make a joint claim based on his wages, however he currently owns a 1 bedroom flat and is still paying the mortgage. Obviously it isn't suitable for all 3 of us to live in (I have just found out I am pregnant so will be 4 of us) so he is going to put it on the market in hopes of buying a house for us all. In the meantime though we will have to rent together until his flat is sold (god knows how long it could take?) my question is because he owns another property would we be entitled to any benefit top ups in the meantime? If we was just to live on his wage (just above national living) we wouldn't survive so can't afford to do that? I am so confused on what we can do and have got less than 2 months so get things sorted.. would appreciate any advice.
Page 1
    • BAFE
    • By BAFE 4th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    BAFE
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    Your child and working tax credits and would be dependant on the household income but as his income is low and yours in nil then you should receive the maximum WTC and CTC and obviously you'd still get child benefit. Your boyfriend won't be eligible for housing benefit because he owns a property.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 4th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    You may be eligible for housing benefit depending on the amount of equity in his existing property. Do you know how much the property is worth, and how much mortgage he has outstanding?

But what you first need to do is check if you would be in a universal credits area, as if you are then capital could exclude you from the equivalent of tax credits also.
    • Danilou92
    • By Danilou92 4th Mar 18, 8:56 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Danilou92
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:56 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:56 PM
    !!!55357;!!!56834;!!!55357;!!!56834;!!!55357;!!!56 834; and I presume you've led a perfect life and probably born with the silver spoon in your mouth, so sorry we can't all be perfect !!!55357;!!!56842; Don't judge people's situations when you have no idea what life they have lead to get to that point!
    • Danilou92
    • By Danilou92 4th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Danilou92
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    Thank you to the two people who have actually taken their time to be helpful-I really appreciate that!
    If we received working/child tax credits then I'm sure we could afford the rent so not receiving housing benefit wouldn't be the end of the world.. plus we would only be claiming what the government says we are entitled to so I don't see any shame in that.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 4th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    • 25,374 Posts
    • 14,970 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:25 PM
    plus we would only be claiming what the government says we are entitled to
    That sounds familiar....surely Andy isn't striking again!
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 4th Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    • 3,558 Posts
    • 9,808 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    Now you have got that off your chest how about step down and leave the opening poster to get some assistance on her question.
    If you have a problem with people and benefits then go to the the discussion thread and vent your un called for rant to fellow bigots.
    Originally posted by Teahfc
    I have no problems with "people and benefits" and don't think I'm a bigot for expecting adults to take responsibility. The OPs partner owns a home, maybe not ideal for an increased family but that was a choice they made. Why should others pay for that choice?
    • bigbill
    • By bigbill 4th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    bigbill
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    You say your claiming UC & many other old style benefits that's not right it's one or the other but not both together, so is it UC or Income Support?

And check using your postcode if your area is a full UC area yet here https://universalcreditinfo.net/
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 4th Mar 18, 9:45 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:45 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:45 PM
    That sounds familiar....surely Andy isn't striking again!
    Originally posted by xylophone
    There's nothing in the OP's posts that suggests a troll. It's certainly not one of andyandflo's tall tales.

Danilou, please check whether you will fall under Universal Credit or the old style benefits, as your entitlement could differ significantly.

LilElvis, wind your neck in! The OP has asked a valid question, not for your comments on her life circumstances.
    • Danilou92
    • By Danilou92 5th Mar 18, 9:04 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Danilou92
    Sorry I wasn't very clear, I claim full universal credit (was switched over from the old style in December), how would this affect me? Like I have said the housing benefit I wouldn't need to claim anyway, it is more along the lines of WTC and CTC... I am just a normal working class person who genuinely has found herself in this situation who needs advice, I don't really need a 'telling off' about my life situation, I wouldn't have posted on this site if I wasn't in need of help.
    • NYM
    • By NYM 5th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 6,470 Thanks
    NYM
    Don't worry about it, I don't think you were being 'told off'...it's just incredibly difficult to give pertinent advice if the situation isn't made clear.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    • 5,639 Posts
    • 11,854 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Sorry I wasn't very clear, I claim full universal credit (was switched over from the old style in December), how would this affect me? Like I have said the housing benefit I wouldn't need to claim anyway, it is more along the lines of WTC and CTC... I am just a normal working class person who genuinely has found herself in this situation who needs advice, I don't really need a 'telling off' about my life situation, I wouldn't have posted on this site if I wasn't in need of help.
    Originally posted by Danilou92
    You'd need to switch to a joint claim and owning property other than the one you live in will directly affect the amount you receive.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 5th Mar 18, 9:57 AM
    • 11,499 Posts
    • 13,384 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    These are your options:

1. Stay where you are until the landlord gets a court order to remove you. This is dependent on what steps your landlord has taken to get possession. Please tell us what has happened. Has your LL issued a section 21? Your partner can then sell his flat asap and find somewhere bigger to live.

2. If number 1 proves difficult for any reason then you move in with parents/friends as a temporary arrangement until new house is ready.

3. You move in with partner and 'manage' until house is sold. Your daughter can stay in the bedroom/share with you/you and partner sleep in lounge.

4. You get a rented place together and make a joint claim. You may be eligible for some UC (including housing costs depending on equity in his property)
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 5th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    • 20,142 Posts
    • 33,333 Thanks
    Spendless
    I have no problems with "people and benefits" and don't think I'm a bigot for expecting adults to take responsibility. The OPs partner owns a home, maybe not ideal for an increased family but that was a choice they made. Why should others pay for that choice?
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    I should imagine he bought a one bed flat as a single bloke. He wouldn't know at that point, he'd meet someone who is a single parent. Ok the pregnancy adds to the issue, but if it was just them and the unborn baby they'd have the length of the pregnancy plus until the baby was several months old to manage in a 1 bed place. It's the addition of a child that is already there, that makes the place not big enough for them all plus the landlord selling up, meaning the OP can't stay there with both kids until the 1 bed flat is sold and a larger property purchased.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 5th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    • 25,374 Posts
    • 14,970 Thanks
    xylophone
    It's the addition of a child that is already there, that makes the place not big enough for them all
    It might not be ideal but I'd have thought that two adults, a two year old and an infant could manage in a one bedroom flat until it could be sold and a larger home purchased?
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 5th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    • 16,686 Posts
    • 41,275 Thanks
    FBaby
    Like I have said the housing benefit I wouldn't need to claim anyway, it is more along the lines of WTC and CTC...
    The moment you become a couple and move in together, whether a 1 bedroom flat or a 5 bedroom house, you will have to claim tax credits as a couple.
    • bigbill
    • By bigbill 5th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    bigbill
    You would need to claim UC as a couple.

If his house is up for sale and your renting somewhere else while it is up for sale, the value of his property will be ignored by UC so some help with your rent might be due depending how much he earns.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 5th Mar 18, 5:55 PM
    • 20,142 Posts
    • 33,333 Thanks
    Spendless
    It might not be ideal but I'd have thought that two adults, a two year old and an infant could manage in a one bedroom flat until it could be sold and a larger home purchased?
    Originally posted by xylophone
    It's not always the amount of bedrooms that's the issue but the amount of space allocated to a 1 bed place. It might not be big enough for the storage of 2 adults, 2 kids clothes for example, or nowhere for a pushchair, or the living room not big enough for a bed settee and the bedroom not big enough for a double bed, junior bed and cot.

When I was single I bought a house, that was enough space for me, was ok when I married, manageable for a baby (but only by sending various furniture to be stored elsewhere and being very, very creative with baby paraphernalia) and would have been impossible for a family of 4, even with the youngest a newborn and that was a 1910 2 bed mid terrace.
    • Afraid of Kittens
    • By Afraid of Kittens 5th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Afraid of Kittens
    1) You can claim Housing Benefit as a couple despite your partner owning another property - as long as the property is for sale.

2) The property is disregarded in full for 6 months from the date it went up for sale - this timescale can be extended if active steps are being taken to sell the property.

3) Once sold the cash leftover can be disregarded for upto 6 months if active steps are being taken to buy another property. Leaving it in a bank and just saying it's going to be used to buy a home probably won't result in it being disregarded - there has to be documentary proof such as estate agents letters, solicitors letters etc.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 5th Mar 18, 8:28 PM
    • 5,639 Posts
    • 11,854 Thanks
    marliepanda
    1) You can claim Housing Benefit as a couple despite your partner owning another property - as long as the property is for sale.

2) The property is disregarded in full for 6 months from the date it went up for sale - this timescale can be extended if active steps are being taken to sell the property.

3) Once sold the cash leftover can be disregarded for upto 6 months if active steps are being taken to buy another property. Leaving it in a bank and just saying it's going to be used to buy a home probably won't result in it being disregarded - there has to be documentary proof such as estate agents letters, solicitors letters etc.
    Originally posted by Afraid of Kittens
    OP is not on housing benefit, she is on Universal Credit (I believe the OP has been edited due to the consistent references to tax credits and housing benefit, she does not get these)

Therefore unfortunately your post isnít accurate.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin