Benefits and Mortgage? Confused?!

Options
2»

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Danilou92 wrote: »
    Sorry I wasn't very clear, I claim full universal credit (was switched over from the old style in December), how would this affect me? Like I have said the housing benefit I wouldn't need to claim anyway, it is more along the lines of WTC and CTC... I am just a normal working class person who genuinely has found herself in this situation who needs advice, I don't really need a 'telling off' about my life situation, I wouldn't have posted on this site if I wasn't in need of help.

You'd need to switch to a joint claim and owning property other than the one you live in will directly affect the amount you receive.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    These are your options:

1. Stay where you are until the landlord gets a court order to remove you. This is dependent on what steps your landlord has taken to get possession. Please tell us what has happened. Has your LL issued a section 21? Your partner can then sell his flat asap and find somewhere bigger to live.

2. If number 1 proves difficult for any reason then you move in with parents/friends as a temporary arrangement until new house is ready.

3. You move in with partner and 'manage' until house is sold. Your daughter can stay in the bedroom/share with you/you and partner sleep in lounge.

4. You get a rented place together and make a joint claim. You may be eligible for some UC (including housing costs depending on equity in his property)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    I have no problems with "people and benefits" and don't think I'm a bigot for expecting adults to take responsibility. The OPs partner owns a home, maybe not ideal for an increased family but that was a choice they made. Why should others pay for that choice?
    I should imagine he bought a one bed flat as a single bloke. He wouldn't know at that point, he'd meet someone who is a single parent. Ok the pregnancy adds to the issue, but if it was just them and the unborn baby they'd have the length of the pregnancy plus until the baby was several months old to manage in a 1 bed place. It's the addition of a child that is already there, that makes the place not big enough for them all plus the landlord selling up, meaning the OP can't stay there with both kids until the 1 bed flat is sold and a larger property purchased.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,474 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's the addition of a child that is already there, that makes the place not big enough for them all

It might not be ideal but I'd have thought that two adults, a two year old and an infant could manage in a one bedroom flat until it could be sold and a larger home purchased?
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Like I have said the housing benefit I wouldn't need to claim anyway, it is more along the lines of WTC and CTC...
    The moment you become a couple and move in together, whether a 1 bedroom flat or a 5 bedroom house, you will have to claim tax credits as a couple.
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You would need to claim UC as a couple.

If his house is up for sale and your renting somewhere else while it is up for sale, the value of his property will be ignored by UC so some help with your rent might be due depending how much he earns.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    It might not be ideal but I'd have thought that two adults, a two year old and an infant could manage in a one bedroom flat until it could be sold and a larger home purchased?
    It's not always the amount of bedrooms that's the issue but the amount of space allocated to a 1 bed place. It might not be big enough for the storage of 2 adults, 2 kids clothes for example, or nowhere for a pushchair, or the living room not big enough for a bed settee and the bedroom not big enough for a double bed, junior bed and cot.

When I was single I bought a house, that was enough space for me, was ok when I married, manageable for a baby (but only by sending various furniture to be stored elsewhere and being very, very creative with baby paraphernalia) and would have been impossible for a family of 4, even with the youngest a newborn and that was a 1910 2 bed mid terrace.
  • Afraid_of_Kittens
    Options
    1) You can claim Housing Benefit as a couple despite your partner owning another property - as long as the property is for sale.

2) The property is disregarded in full for 6 months from the date it went up for sale - this timescale can be extended if active steps are being taken to sell the property.

3) Once sold the cash leftover can be disregarded for upto 6 months if active steps are being taken to buy another property. Leaving it in a bank and just saying it's going to be used to buy a home probably won't result in it being disregarded - there has to be documentary proof such as estate agents letters, solicitors letters etc.
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    1) You can claim Housing Benefit as a couple despite your partner owning another property - as long as the property is for sale.

2) The property is disregarded in full for 6 months from the date it went up for sale - this timescale can be extended if active steps are being taken to sell the property.

3) Once sold the cash leftover can be disregarded for upto 6 months if active steps are being taken to buy another property. Leaving it in a bank and just saying it's going to be used to buy a home probably won't result in it being disregarded - there has to be documentary proof such as estate agents letters, solicitors letters etc.

OP is not on housing benefit, she is on Universal Credit (I believe the OP has been edited due to the consistent references to tax credits and housing benefit, she does not get these)

Therefore unfortunately your post isn’t accurate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure