Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Firsttimebuyer2018
    • By Firsttimebuyer2018 4th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Firsttimebuyer2018
    Should we use a local solicitor?
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    Should we use a local solicitor? 4th Mar 18 at 7:11 PM
    We have just put in an offer on a house, hopefully it'll be accepted! Either way we are looking at properties around an hour away from where we currently live, would it be better to use a solicitor local to ourselves or close to the property we are buying?

Haven't bought a house before so we aren't sure!
Page 1
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 4th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    • 2,997 Posts
    • 6,030 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    On the one hand, conveyancing is conveyancing. You could, in theory, buy a house in Cornwall and use a solicitor in Berwick-upon-Tweed; not Scotland though, as their laws are different. In practice, how much does being able to go into an office and bang on a desk matter to you, should the need arise?

Perhaps the best way to decide is to get quotes from at least a couple of firms in both locations, ask around for recommendations (do not just go with whoever your EA suggests; it will cost you more as they will get a kick-back)

Another way might to think where you will be most while the sale is progressing to make banging on that metaphorical desk more convenient.

Good luck.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 4th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    I'd go for someone near your current location as it really helps if you can drop documents into their office easily and pop in to sign things.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 4th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 11,248 Thanks
    Hermia
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    I've done both. Having a solicitor local to where I live was very handy for dropping documents off and did speed things up as we got near the end. Having a solicitor where I was moving to was handy because he knew all the estate agents really well and also knew the area well. That did speed a couple of things up.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 4th Mar 18, 9:36 PM
    • 58,442 Posts
    • 51,813 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:36 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:36 PM
    I find it easier to speak face to face when it comes to potentially complex matters, if there's a number of people involved. Just a personal preference as generally more time efficient and avoids misunderstandings.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin