Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • samsung laptop
    • By samsung laptop 4th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 300Posts
    • 21Thanks
    samsung laptop
    Does community speed watch scheme work
    • 4th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    Does community speed watch scheme work 4th Mar 18 at 10:47 AM
    I've just read that a town I drive through daily is starting a community speed watch scheme but do they work. They say the watch is run by members of the community with the support of the police neighbourhood policing team. Recruited volunteers receive full training in using a speed monitoring device and is given a training pack with details of roads that have been risk assessed and a high viz jacket.There is no time limit, volunteers can stay on site as long as they like and leave when they see fit. When speeds have been recorded, all the results are sent back to the officers in charge and warning letters are issued to the registered owner of the vehicle if there is a second occurrence of speeding.
Page 2
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 4th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 2,240 Posts
    • 3,054 Thanks
    Robisere
    All the critics talking about "old codgers" and "old farts" trying to slow down speeders, ignores what happens in my village. The village is built within a series of sharp, winding bends along a single-carriageway 'A' road, which is a holiday route. Out of season, locals stick to the 30 mph limit, 20 past the school. And we do stick to it. However, once the holiday season begins, we get caravans, cars and mobile homes racing through our village at well over the limits. There is a village shop on the other side of the road from our bungalows, which are Sheltered Housing. Therefore we old codgers are forced to run the gauntlet when we cross the road: is this what some here might consider as reducing the population of old farts?

At the moment, the situation is going to be made worse by the building of new homes, which will have a new exit road. On the crown of a 'blind' bend. Despite hundreds of letters and opposition by the Parish council, this went ahead. The homes will be built and the exit road in use, by the summer season. The consequences are obvious.

Sometimes old codgers have a genuine desire to live longer.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 4th Mar 18, 6:55 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    All the critics talking about "old codgers" and "old farts" trying to slow down speeders, ignores what happens in my village. The village is built within a series of sharp, winding bends along a single-carriageway 'A' road, which is a holiday route. Out of season, locals stick to the 30 mph limit, 20 past the school. And we do stick to it. However, once the holiday season begins, we get caravans, cars and mobile homes racing through our village at well over the limits. There is a village shop on the other side of the road from our bungalows, which are Sheltered Housing. Therefore we old codgers are forced to run the gauntlet when we cross the road: is this what some here might consider as reducing the population of old farts?

At the moment, the situation is going to be made worse by the building of new homes, which will have a new exit road. On the crown of a 'blind' bend. Despite hundreds of letters and opposition by the Parish council, this went ahead. The homes will be built and the exit road in use, by the summer season. The consequences are obvious.

Sometimes old codgers have a genuine desire to live longer.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Traffic lights.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 4th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 3,740 Posts
    • 4,364 Thanks
    Johno100
    Old codgers and NIMBYs it gets better.
    • discat11
    • By discat11 4th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    discat11
    Why would they need photographic equipment?

People were successfully prosecuted for centuries before the camera was invented, and still are.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    They aren't police, therefore it would be the same as someone completely random reporting you for something equally random that you could be prosecuted for.

I have no issue with those who are properly trained & officially allowed to submit reports for prosecution, however in my case it would have been a complete miscarriage had it been taken to prosecution and a waste of taxpayers, police & my time.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 4th Mar 18, 8:17 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    They aren't police, therefore it would be the same as someone completely random reporting you for something equally random that you could be prosecuted for.

I have no issue with those who are properly trained & officially allowed to submit reports for prosecution, however in my case it would have been a complete miscarriage had it been taken to prosecution and a waste of taxpayers, police & my time.
    Originally posted by discat11
    No itís not, they would have a type approved device to measure the speed and the authority of the Chief Constable. So exactly the same as the police.
    • discat11
    • By discat11 4th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    discat11
    No itís not, they would have a type approved device to measure the speed and the authority of the Chief Constable. So exactly the same as the police.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    Well perhaps a FOI request for how many of their 'reports' are discredited later would be enlightening compared with proper traffic police?

IIRC they don't actually have either proper evidence gathering equipment or properly calibrated speed detection equipment in any case.

I'm happy it keeps them happy, but IMHO that is all it is designed to do.

It's a bloody nuisance to those who get misreported though that's for damn sure.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 4th Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Well perhaps a FOI request for how many of their 'reports' are discredited later would be enlightening compared with proper traffic police? Give the scheme hasnít started yet it would be a waste of time.

IIRC they don't actually have either proper evidence gathering equipment or properly calibrated speed detection equipment in any case.They will have.

I'm happy it keeps them happy, but IMHO that is all it is designed to do.

It's a bloody nuisance to those who get misreported though that's for damn sure.
    Originally posted by discat11
    Itíll be a big nuisance when it costs them £100 and three points.
    • discat11
    • By discat11 4th Mar 18, 9:16 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    discat11
    what part of misreported does this apply to?
    If I received 3 points and a£100 fine for something I didn't do because someone mis reported a vehicle you may be damn sure I wouldn't be paying or suffering any such thing.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 4th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    • 2,610 Posts
    • 3,331 Thanks
    unforeseen
    A NIP cannot be issued from a community speed watch report. Police say they will 'actively' target a serial 'offender' but evidence from the community people is insufficient to begin a prosecution.

See

http://www.staffssaferroads.co.uk/my-community/community-speed-watch

https://www.trafficchoices.co.uk/traffic-schemes/community-speed-watch.shtml
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 5th Mar 18, 7:07 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    After seeing this thread, I did a bit of research and found out that our village has a community speed watch.

Our village is 30mph, but I would estimate the average speed of drivers to be 40-45mph. I regularly get overtaken when driving home. But through the night, cars go through at 50-60mph+.

I have my training next week and, as someone who often doesn't finish work until after midnight, I'm going to enjoy then going out and recording some speeds.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 5th Mar 18, 7:12 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    locals stick to the 30 mph limit, 20 past the school. And we do stick to it. However, once the holiday season begins, we get caravans, cars and mobile homes racing through our village at well over the limits.
    Thing is, all those cars that speed through your village will stick to the limit in their village, and complain about all the people that speed through their village.

And I would hazard a guess that many of your neighbours that stick to 30 in your village, speed elsewhere.

The problem is that humans are selfish. They don't like people speeding through their village, but they will speed through others because they need to get home to put the dinner on.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 5th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 934 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    After seeing this thread, I did a bit of research and found out that our village has a community speed watch.

Our village is 30mph, but I would estimate the average speed of drivers to be 40-45mph. I regularly get overtaken when driving home. But through the night, cars go through at 50-60mph+.

I have my training next week and, as someone who often doesn't finish work until after midnight, I'm going to enjoy then going out and recording some speeds.
    Originally posted by Deastons
    Thatís not going to happen.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Mar 18, 7:47 AM
    • 17,395 Posts
    • 15,762 Thanks
    AdrianC
    If it took research to discover, can I suggest they're not particularly visible, which means not particularly effective?
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 5th Mar 18, 7:49 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    If it took research to discover, can I suggest they're not particularly visible, which means not particularly effective?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Because they need more volunteers, which is why I volunteered.

To be fair, I've only lived in this village since November, so it's not unreasonable that I'd not have seen them yet.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 5th Mar 18, 7:52 AM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 934 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Because they need more volunteers, which is why I volunteered.

To be fair, I've only lived in this village since November, so it's not unreasonable that I'd not have seen them yet.
    Thereís probably a simple reason why you havenít see them.
    • samsung laptop
    • By samsung laptop 5th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    samsung laptop
    The point I was trying to make is that a 20mph limit could benefit the whole village. I don't know why the lower limit wasn't extended to the school, maybe it should be, but trips on foot to the school will (at least partially) now be made on a road with a 20mph not 30mph limit. Perhaps the OP (with local knowledge) could shed some more light on the matter?
    Originally posted by Mids_Costcutter
    The road is 30mph and most people exceed the speed limit but I don't know how big the problem is but I think it's from the residents when they are taking the kids to school or coming home from work.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 5th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 1,502 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    I remember reading a story about a village where they'd campaigned for years for a speed camera and once they got one it was mostly the villagers who campaigned for it who were caught speeding.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Ha ha, I'm an ex traffic cop and went to one location due to a letter from a resident. Guess who was the first person I stopped for speeding?

He took the ticket graciously but a little sheepish!
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 5th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    It is certainly the case that locals are as bad at speeding as other people. Our neighbourhood police reckoned that was the case.

I reckon they work in two ways:

1) If the driver is half aware, they are conscious of a speed camera being used and it makes them think about their speed.

2) Ditto, the letter makes them sensitive to speeding in that area, especially as you can't simply ignore the yellow coat up the road.

However, I am not sure what instigates the mindset change from "self-important, must save every second I can behind the wheel" to "Do you know what? This speeding is a waste of effort." I've made that transition myself, and it was a combination of being caught a handful of times over 30 years (yet, the first time my response was definitely annoyance that the time I was caught it was trivial in comparison to my normal pace!) and I think what changed me more was the realisation that my driving had got sloppy and I was making unnecessary mistakes - I'd have some sort of unpleasant but unnecessary interaction most long journeys.

So speeding is just one side of an attitude to driving where you hold yourself as more important than anyone else on the road - on a road full of clones of yourself. Once you realise that you aren't psychic and don't really know the evil intentions of every other road user conspiring against you, trying to make your life hell, then things become a lot easier.

I guess my point is, they help in putting the thought into your head that your driving is being judged and found wanting, but there has to be a willingness to moderate your behaviour. Unfortunately, the typical response seems more often to be to declaim the injustice of being checked for going to fast and how unfair and unreasonable speed limits are.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 5th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 2,240 Posts
    • 3,054 Thanks
    Robisere
    Traffic lights.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    It's an A road and a main holiday route. Highways have been asked and will not fit them, nor will they give us a pedestrian crossing. As I stated, there is a series of sharp bends through and at either end of the village, some hidden.
    a much bigger hammer.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 5th Mar 18, 9:21 PM
    • 2,240 Posts
    • 3,054 Thanks
    Robisere
    Old codgers and NIMBYs it gets better.
    Originally posted by Johno100
    We are not NIMBY's and do not object to the new homes: we welcome new residents. It is a village with a thriving population of all ages, with a large Junior School and a popular, award-winning Nursery.

What we (young and old) object to, is the placing of an exit road from those homes, on the crown of a sharp bed, with one bus stop nearby (within 5 metres) and another across the road. There are accidents waiting to happen and the Council Highways could not see it: they would not even visit the scene.

I wish people who post here would not make asinine comments regarding an area and a situation they do not know and have not seen.
    a much bigger hammer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

52Posts Today

3,033Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin