PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Artificial grass - Opinions

Options

Comments

• aliby21
    aliby21 Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    If you want it, have it. First and foremost we live in our own houses and doing them for future buyers and trying to please all of them is pointless and just ends in compromise.

This. Unless you are doing up to sell, or have actual definite plans to move, then do what you would like, it is your home to live in.
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    True, as we looking to stay for some time that would make sense. I' will admit i was rather surprised at how many remarked it would totally put them off buying.

Being our house has already got some limitations to potential purchasers adding another by choice seemed a bit....
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Price is a big hurdle for fake grass. the cheap stuff just looks terrible but the good stuff can look amazing.

I have seen a small patch of the good stuff down and it does look great. Problem is it was £20 a square meter back when they got it and it hasn't came down much since then.

You also need to factor in the preparation costs which takes a lot of work too, so it isn't the best option for most lawns of any decent size.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    Problem is it was £20 a square meter back when they got it and it hasn't came down much since then.
    Ooof. So £12,500 for the OP's 25 x 25...
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    We looked at fake grass for our garden but ultimately to have it weak laid and good quality, it was cost prohibitive. I would be put off by 1980s style AstroTurf but well done I wouldn't. Even if it was truly awful, if the rest of the house was right, it would just be under the list of things to change. Better than a fridge freezer, car tyres and 10ft deep brambles in the back garden to tackle IMO.

One thing to note though is that the 'grass' can get very very hot in the summer sun. Something to bear in mind, esp with kids / pets.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'd buy a house with artificial grass in preference to an identical one that had decking all over it or was covered in pea shingle like our current garden was originally.

Artificial grass would, at least, be much easier to get rid off than the other two. I've had to manually shift several tonnes of pea shingle just to get some plants in and the soil beneath was compressed so hard it was like digging in concrete. Now most of it is cleared the garden drains much better than it did too (though that is probably down to the two or sometimes three layers of "semi-permeable" membrane that was underneath the shingle).

In any event, do whatever you want to make your garden better for you, constantly looking over your shoulder to see what "the market" impact would be is no way to enjoy living somewhere especially when you are talking about something that is relatively easily changeable.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Now most of it is cleared the garden drains much better than it did too (though that is probably down to the two or sometimes three layers of "semi-permeable" membrane that was underneath the shingle).
    VERY likely. I dug a French drain a little while back, after an underground spring changed course... The membrane the builder's merchant initially sold me was UTTERLY useless. It floated, rather than permeated (if that's not a word, it should be). Right stuff in, and it worked perfectly.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    someone in my village is trying to sell his house, he has artificial grass on one level and boulders on another. The grass might have been practical once but the 2 big dogs have pooped and pooped all over it, many many times, hardly ever removed and then it is played on by their children. Absolutely disgusting and any cat and dog mess would not be taken down by worms. I would not look past the garden, it would be a deal breaker, ie short cuts here in the garden, so what other shortcuts are there?
  • Skippy13
    Skippy13 Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We!!!8217;ve got it and it looks so much better than the hideous, sunken weed patch that was there before. We!!!8217;ve got a very narrow garden and it was a waste of time getting the mower out for it so we decided to go artificial. Ours was around £45 per metre so we wouldn!!!8217;t have been able to do it if the garden was bigger.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't be put off because I'd just plan to get rid of it and get turf, but it might affect how much I was willing to pay.

I don't particularly like the look, but that's not the main reason I am 'anti' fake grass, its the environmental/nature reasons that put me off.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jul/04/growth-in-artificial-lawns-poses-threat-to-british-wildlife-conservationists-warn

I love having birds in my garden for one thing, would never do anything that might reduce that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure