Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 4th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    • 1,358Posts
    • 2,765Thanks
    Tygermoth
    Artificial grass - Opinions
    • 4th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    Artificial grass - Opinions 4th Mar 18 at 9:05 AM
    So while looking at the design trends thread i was surprised to see how many people were very very anti fake grass.

I am currently saving up to do over our garden and after a year wrestling with the grass (we have a tree that drys out one end of the garden (under a tpo) and a marshy area at the other with sun being scant on one side - keeping the grass nice was almost impossible - even with a lawn treatment company coming in every few weeks.

So I had my heart set on some fake turf (the best quality we could afford so its not greengrocer grass!) but seeing how many of you were very veheminant against it got me wondering if i'll be making a mistake.

Would artificial turf put you off a House? (it will be landscaped into the garden - so not a weirdly perfect square of green)
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
Page 3
    • steph2901
    • By steph2901 5th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    steph2901
    Personally I don't like fake grass, I've walked past a few houses around here that have it and some look ok, whilst others don't.
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 5th Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 1,199 Thanks
    gingercordial
    It is absolutely a personal opinion but I hate it. I don't like the look of it, but my primary dislike is because of the wildlife aspect. One of my greatest pleasures is watching the wildlife in my garden and gardening for that purpose; if I thought about buying a place with artificial turf I would not only be thinking about the cost and hassle of turning it back to natural plants but also that all the wildlife would have long since moved out and it might take months or even years to attract anything back.

I have seen plenty of examples round where I live and even the ones which are clearly expensive are unmistakable and very much not to my taste.

If a house was otherwise perfect and amazing in every other way I would still struggle and would be reducing my offer by quite a bit.

But if it's what you want in a garden you are going to live in and enjoy, do what works for you.
    • Nadeshkarine
    • By Nadeshkarine 5th Mar 18, 5:34 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Nadeshkarine
    I'm not a fan, but it wasn't a deal breaker for us. The house we're buying is half patio and half artificial lawn - so nothing 'alive', which disappoints me. But it is a lot less hassle for when we first move in and is just another thing on the 'to change to our tastes' list.

We were surprised at how many gardens we saw had no lawn or majority covered up: about 1/3 had fake grass, and another 1/3 all patio or gravel. These are all small urban gardens though, 5mx25m max. Definitely becoming more common as before this I'd never heard of it in residential gardens.

It makes me think of sports pitches from school tbh, but I'll admit that the quality is actually pretty good and it didn't look or feel that bad. Hence why I'm not planning on ripping it out straight away. I don't feel that it impacted what we were willing to offer (at least not on its own).
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 5th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    NicNicP
    Id love some nomow! My son had ruined our once lovely grassy gardens playing football. And to think Id never have to mow the lawn again whilst suffering from hay fever.
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 5th Mar 18, 6:51 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    Mnd
    We've had it put front and back and we have no regrets at all.
    Looks good
    Didn't have cheap stuff though and we were having the whole garden done anyway

We have no intention of selling so we have not had to consider what other people think of it
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 5th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 30,710 Posts
    • 58,177 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    We have sowed our front lawn with wildflower seeds and will let it grow into a meadow. A haven for wildlife, especially caterpillars.

(We will mow it round the edge so that it doesn't look as though we just haven't bothered!).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

178Posts Today

1,629Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin