Aqua Card closes my account no notice sent

Options
Hi,

i do not know how to start but here it goes...

I have been in a severe health problem for most of half a year which led me to stop paying into my aqua card. The health part of it has played a huge role as before that, i had no problems what so ever.

It was 5 month that my account was on arrears and over £98 from my £500 limit.

I did get letters sent asking to pay or more charges will incur, I did call them and told them about my situation which they considered but literally 4 days ago, i made a payment of £550 online assuming my card is still working and i was back at work and need to settle my debts.

The same day, i called them up asking how long wil it take for it to show up as available to spend, the staff said wait till tomorrow. I asked him if there is any issues with my card and if i can order a new pin. He said to me , as you are not in arrears anymore, your account is back to normal (something along that line) and to call back once the balance shows up.

So i wait a day, money shows up but i called them the day after as for some reason, i couldnt make an online payment on a website.

I was told AT FIRST, my account was closed on the 6th of february and a letter was sent to me on december 2017 stating my account will be closed. This shocked and got me into panic mode. I have every aqua letters and once i found out, i made the guy wait on the phone until i open them all and not one letter mentions closure of my account. The only letter was a warning that my account will be sold to a debt collector agency (that is what he said but letter claimed they were the agency). So i wanted proof of this letter and why i was told my account was in good shape first time. I need that money as well.

HE sends me over to a relative department , a women speaks and now she could not tell me of any letter sent that time and she goes that they sent the letter out about the closure although she found it difficult to find any proof. The funny thing is, i was getting text and emails this month that indicated my account was still active, not even a hint of closure.

I then spoke to a senior manager, she goes to me that the letter was sent out on october and account got closed on december 2017...

I requested SAR , but they kept sending me statements etc even after those dates and i cannot find any closure letters nor can they answer me on that.

Im afraid of losing that money... if i knew my account was closed, i would not risk my financial situation by paying that much into my card.

Is there anyway i can get my money back from them? or atleast parts of it as i cannot wait weeks for the SAR to arrive plus i need advice on how to go about it.

My main priority is to get that funds back. 3 different answers was misleading... nothing i can find about closing my account and the 2nd guy stated that they were going to sell my account but they decided not to....

someone please help me! if i lose this amount... im screwed.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You haven't lost the money - it has cleared the debt you had with them.

Ask them to confirm the balance on your account. If you overpaid and it is in credit, you can ask for that back, but it doesn't seem likely from what you have said.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So you owed them money, you paid it. They then closed your account and you want the money back. Is that a fair summary?
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    So let me pick up on the salient points:
    • You had an Aqua card.
    • You stopped making payments for five months
    • You owed circa £600 (not sure this is the correct figure)
    • You made a payment of £550
    • They had closed/did then close your account
    • You want the money back

You state that you are 'afraid of losing that money' but it was their money, wasn't it?

If you overpaid and put the card in credit then they should refund the credit. If you have simply paid your debt and they've closed your account then it's no longer your money.

What does it matter when the card was closed? Be grateful you've paid it off and they're not fleecing you any longer.
  • gloryninja
    Options
    I think you guys misunderstood...

OF course, i owe them money , but there was no mention of my account being closed and was confirmed that it was perfectly fine for me to use.

I do want my money back, mainly because as mentioned, i told them about my situation and was given some support by them to freeze charges.

They said they sent those letters out but cannot find any proof of it. I Also forgot to mention, my pin number arrived today for some reason (i did request) and it came quick. If my card is closed, why would i be given a pin number as well (card is blocked however) .

IF i knew my account got closed, due to my financial situation... i would not paid that much but i did so to start improving my score and the requirements of a credit card as well.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gloryninja wrote: »

OF course, i owe them money , but there was no mention of my account being closed and was confirmed that it was perfectly fine for me to use.

I do want my money back

It’s not your money...
    ====
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You won't get the money back. It's not your money. It's theirs.

Visit the DFW boards if you need advice on budgeting for the next few weeks.
  • A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    I think the OP paid off the whole balance but planned to re spend the money. Perhaps funds to live on. If the OP had known she couldn!!!8217;t use the credit she wouldn!!!8217;t have paid so much. Now this had caused financial difficulties.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A4445 wrote: »
    I think the OP paid off the whole balance but planned to re spend the money. Perhaps funds to live on. If the OP had known she couldn!!!8217;t use the credit she wouldn!!!8217;t have paid so much. Now this had caused financial difficulties.

No, OP's caused financial difficulties.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A4445 wrote: »

It’s an unfortunate set of occurrences for the OP, but it’s not their money, it’s money they owed the bank.

Aqua is designed for poor credit users, they are unlikely to allow a customer to go over limit and 6 months in arrears and still allow that high risk customer to keep the card...
    ====
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    gloryninja wrote: »

Nobody has misunderstood. You were 5 payments behind - this must have been expected?

If you had a letter saying they had sold your account to a debt collector you must have known your account had been sold.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure