BT/Openreach fiasco

Options
i wanted to make people aware of what is going on with myself incase others are also in a similar position.
after joining BT for my broadband, i already had line rental with it, in 2016 and being given the usual BS about what speeds etc i could expect (i am 1.1-1.2km from the exchange, cable route-wise, NOT in a straight line) i was told to expect around 42mbps. i got this for 2 days and promptly dropped to 32mbps. although a bit disappointed, it was expected. anyway, things stayed reasonably like this until i renewed the contract last year. buried inside somewhere, the speed had been lowered to 28mbps but i didn't see that drop until around October last year. i complained, went through all the hoops, was spun another load of BS which i didn't accept, knowing a bit about the subject and not a total idiot and eventually had engineers round on 3 different occasions. one of them didn't even know that the speed BT advertised had been increased 'up to' 52mbps (not that it's achievable). anyway, still unhappy, had a 4th visit and had a lift and shift done in the exchange and voila! back to close to 32mbps! nice and stable, no reboots/ip address changes steady speed, all good for 20days! during this time, my neighbour opposite had problems start with his broadband. engineer turns up supposedly sorts out his problem, returns the next day because neighbour's phone still not right. in the meantime, i paid for 1 year line rental and agreed to stay on BT broadband. funny that as soon as i did that, my speed magically dropped back down to 28mbps (forgot, sorry, speed had dropped to 23mbps before had 1st engineer visit last November-ish). noise margins were going absolutely nuts with 4.5db fluctuations continuously every few seconds, causing constant router reboots. in fact, at one point, for well over 1 hour, i couldn't get the router to even stay up, it just wouldn't connect at all. BT tried to tell me the noise margin changes were usual, insyead of admitting that the problem was severe errors on the line that the noise margin changes were trying unsuccessfully to correct, which then caused the constant reboots. anyway, i complained yet again and have another visit booked for tomorrow. this, according to BT, is the last one and if they cant correct or find and correct whatever is wrong, i have to put up with the problem because of the refusal to force Openreach to replace the 60yearold cables (some are aluminium!). how can this be right? Seeley i think is the boss of Openreach has been blowing his trumpet about how well they have done to complete the target set by the govt to give whatever speed they were told to provide by this year to however many houses in whichever parts of the country. that's all well and good but what about the rest? doing half a job, yet again is ridiculous! even worse, he is now blowing that same trumpet, stating that by 2020, 3million customers will be on 100mbps ultrafast fibre broadband. the same tech guy from the executive customer complaints dept at BT told me, just 2 days ago, that to get that speed, a customer will have to be within 150meters of the exchange! what the hell is the point of that? if lucky, that'll mean about 10 houses, the resy will be on the same p**s poor connections we have atm! and what is the point of even thinking about this ultrafast stuff when Openreach refuses to renew cabling to give even 32mbps? it cant maintain that speed let alone anything else! there needs to be some serious backside kicking done and BT/Openreach made to do their jobs properly, not allowed to keep fobbing customers off and putting profits/share holder dividends first! that same tech guy also told me that while it isn't viable, cabling wont be changed, meaning that we, as customers, will just continue to be screwed. and remember, most of us have no option but to use an ISP that uses the same crap cables, so, like changing gas and elec suppliers, the only changes made are the names on the bills!!
good old 'RIP OFF BRITAIN!'

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    jimbo49 wrote: »
    i wanted to make people aware of what is going on with myself incase others are also in a similar position.
    after joining BT for my broadband, i already had line rental with it, in 2016 and being given the usual BS about what speeds etc i could expect (i am 1.1-1.2km from the exchange, cable route-wise, NOT in a straight line) i was told to expect around 42mbps. i got this for 2 days and promptly dropped to 32mbps. although a bit disappointed, it was expected. anyway, things stayed reasonably like this until i renewed the contract last year. buried inside somewhere, the speed had been lowered to 28mbps but i didn't see that drop until around October last year. i complained, went through all the hoops, was spun another load of BS which i didn't accept, knowing a bit about the subject and not a total idiot and eventually had engineers round on 3 different occasions. one of them didn't even know that the speed BT advertised had been increased 'up to' 52mbps (not that it's achievable). anyway, still unhappy, had a 4th visit and had a lift and shift done in the exchange and voila! back to close to 32mbps! nice and stable, no reboots/ip address changes steady speed, all good for 20days! during this time, my neighbour opposite had problems start with his broadband. engineer turns up supposedly sorts out his problem, returns the next day because neighbour's phone still not right. in the meantime, i paid for 1 year line rental and agreed to stay on BT broadband. funny that as soon as i did that, my speed magically dropped back down to 28mbps (forgot, sorry, speed had dropped to 23mbps before had 1st engineer visit last November-ish). noise margins were going absolutely nuts with 4.5db fluctuations continuously every few seconds, causing constant router reboots. in fact, at one point, for well over 1 hour, i couldn't get the router to even stay up, it just wouldn't connect at all. BT tried to tell me the noise margin changes were usual, insyead of admitting that the problem was severe errors on the line that the noise margin changes were trying unsuccessfully to correct, which then caused the constant reboots. anyway, i complained yet again and have another visit booked for tomorrow. this, according to BT, is the last one and if they cant correct or find and correct whatever is wrong, i have to put up with the problem because of the refusal to force Openreach to replace the 60yearold cables (some are aluminium!). how can this be right? Seeley i think is the boss of Openreach has been blowing his trumpet about how well they have done to complete the target set by the govt to give whatever speed they were told to provide by this year to however many houses in whichever parts of the country. that's all well and good but what about the rest? doing half a job, yet again is ridiculous! even worse, he is now blowing that same trumpet, stating that by 2020, 3million customers will be on 100mbps ultrafast fibre broadband. the same tech guy from the executive customer complaints dept at BT told me, just 2 days ago, that to get that speed, a customer will have to be within 150meters of the exchange! what the hell is the point of that? if lucky, that'll mean about 10 houses, the resy will be on the same p**s poor connections we have atm! and what is the point of even thinking about this ultrafast stuff when Openreach refuses to renew cabling to give even 32mbps? it cant maintain that speed let alone anything else! there needs to be some serious backside kicking done and BT/Openreach made to do their jobs properly, not allowed to keep fobbing customers off and putting profits/share holder dividends first! that same tech guy also told me that while it isn't viable, cabling wont be changed, meaning that we, as customers, will just continue to be screwed. and remember, most of us have no option but to use an ISP that uses the same crap cables, so, like changing gas and elec suppliers, the only changes made are the names on the bills!!
    Pardon!!!!
  • I cannot begin to fathom this post out.

Take your rant to the BT forums
  • ladigue
    Options
    jimbo49 wrote: »

Thanks jimbo49 I found your post most helpful as ive been encountering the same problem and due for a lift and shift next week. Hopefully that will resolve my broadband issues.

As for the other two responses, I dont know why people have to be so catty and need to get a life beyond a forum.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's pretty hard to read. Not much in the way of punctuation.

Capital letters are missing and a few paragraphs or line breaks would make it a lot easier to read
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    It's pretty hard to read. Not much in the way of punctuation.

Capital letters are missing and a few paragraphs or line breaks would make it a lot easier to read

But, you didn't quote the whole post to tell us that, like two above did!!! ;):p:D
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 December 2018 at 10:57AM
    Options
    The OP seems to be under a few misapprehensions , they presumably are on a FTTC connection , given the speed they periodically get , and the lower speed the connection drops too are both still in excess of ADSL2 speeds, yet they state a lift and shift in the exchange briefly got their speed back up , if a lift and shift was done it would have been in the FTTC cabinet....the OP states the distance they are from the exchange , but it's not relevant with FTTC.

The OP seems to think that for the 30p a day they in effect pay OR for line rental , that OR should replace the 60 year old cables in their area and that OR boasting about 3 million homes with access to FTTP by 2020 hacks them off, although the OP is mistaken again as they think FTTP only benefits those within 150m of the exchange, when the exchange distance is again irrelevant with FTTP.

In short , the OP is a bit of a rant, they think they should get better speed, their ISP has sent OR out many times , so presumably what they get is as good as it gets, (presumably there are now more customers on their FTTC cabinet than previously, perhaps crosstalk has reduced the OP sync speed) but they don't want to accept that....BT ( their ISP) has said that they won't fund anymore OR visits if there isn't anything wrong.

If the OP is merely having a rant, I doubt they will be back, but if they are looking for 'advice' , perhaps they could post the estimate speed for their phone number from
    https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and post the router stats, to see how close to the estimate they get
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    iniltous wrote: »
    If the OP is merely having a rant, I doubt they will be back, but if they are looking for 'advice' , perhaps they could post the estimate speed for their phone number from
    https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and post the router stats, to see how close to the estimate they get
    The original post was back in February, and they haven't posted since, so you are clearly wasting your time offering any advice and they were only having a bit of a rant about BT. ladigue at least appeared to find it helpful.... ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure