Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 14th Feb 18, 5:56 AM
    • 1,466Posts
    • 14,629Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 14th February 2018
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:56 AM
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 14th February 2018 14th Feb 18 at 5:56 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 14th Feb 18, 6:03 AM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 14,629 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:03 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:03 AM
    Morning everyone

Iíve just had to reset my password again. It said that I had to do this because it was over five days old. I do hope that we are not going to have to do this every five days. I know it was only five days ago but I couldnít remember it and had to go through the email procedure to get given a new one so I could log in .

There was fun and games over the road again yesterday afternoon with the people who seem to keep arguing. I think things may have got a bit more serious than in the past. Suddenly there was two police cars there followed rapidly by an ambulance. I find it sad that two people have come to this point, and hope that whoever was taken away in the ambulance is ok.

I've just finished a book I was reading so thought I would have some tea and surf the net for a while.

Today I want to see if my neighbour wants to come for a sort of afternoon tea. I know she eats at lunchtime and likes a sandwich and cup of tea with a piece of cake late afternoon. I havenít really seen her to talk to for a couple of weeks now. For a lady in her mid nineties she is very with it and really interesting to talk to and I greatly enjoy her company.

Other than that, I donít have any plans for today so will just see how the day unfolds.

I hope that those who are unwell are starting to recover now.

Have a good Wednesday everyone whatever you are doing.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 14th Feb 18, 6:28 AM
    • 3,973 Posts
    • 27,115 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:28 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:28 AM
    Morning HOLLY - I too had the same palaver with the password change yet again. I hope this isn't going to be a regular occurrence as it's getting to be a right pain!

I don't sleep well at the best of times but last night I was driven mad by the smoke alarm in the hall giving battery warning beeps all night! And I couldn't face going through into the garage to get the little steps to get up to it. Mr TA seems to be sleeping through it ok!

Our trip to Wharfedale hospital for his pre-op went seamlessly - from the hw for bp, temp, swabs etc to the nurse going through health history etc to the cardiolologists for ECG and finally Pathology for bloods. No waiting for any of them. And free tea or coffee and bikkies if we wanted them! We enjoyed a 'Spoons late steak day lunch afterwards so no cooking to do when we got home.

Today we have an appointment at the kitchen place to go through the kitchen on screen that the chap has designed!! I somehow think this is going to cost far more than we had anticipated and he will be asked to come up with something less grand before we agree!

Whilst we are out and about we thought we may as well bring the shopping day forward a day and go on to Aldi afterwards. Doing well at sticking to my plans of eating from the freezer so just f & v and fridge stuff on my list.

It will be the usual hm soup and sarnie for lunch and jacket spuds for tea. I'll get some prawns out to defrost for Mr TA's but I prefer tuna mayo.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) as always for all in need. Take care all and wrap up warm it's flippin' cold out there xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 14th Feb 18, 6:31 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 18,978 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:31 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:31 AM
    Morning all and thank you for starting the thread Hollyharvey.

I've been up and reading since 4 but was asleep by 930 so that's a decent sleep, just not exactly sociable.

I am working today, mostly paperwork and meetings but there is a lunch for a colleague who is going on maternity leave and I have made a little bear for her wearing a bear-type babygro.

It is -2į here and I have just put the heating on, not very frugal but even in pjs and a velvet dressing gown, I was so cold. It is meant to get above freezing soon. I know it is really cold, the skin on my ancient hands is cracking, despite repeated slathering with cream. And tge arthritis has cranked up a notch. I never quite know what to wear for work on really cold days, it is so cold on the way but the actual office tends to be boiling. Layers and layers - I arrive bundled up like the Michelin Woman and slowly get smaller as I remove layers, then it all gets reversed when I leave.

I've had an extra day off this week and it was lovely so can't wait for the summer when I plan to stop.

There is a card and gift for me on the table and this has reminded me why I should have gone out yesterday. Am now total failure as wife/romantic partner.

Had lovely Skype chat with DS yesterday, he is having fun.

Hope everyone has a good day

ps have just logged out to see what would happen, logged back in without ant difficulty, bet I get the 5 day message next time

Ps have just looked at the flylady thread and scared self half to death, think will just sit here and imitate a potato instead
    Last edited by ancientofdays; 14-02-2018 at 6:41 AM. Reason: To add things
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 14th Feb 18, 6:46 AM
    • 3,973 Posts
    • 27,115 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:46 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:46 AM
    AOD I once had a peep in the Flylady thread and felt a complete and utter failure. I steer clear of it now! xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 14th Feb 18, 6:53 AM
    • 3,835 Posts
    • 46,043 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:53 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 6:53 AM
    Morning All

It's blowing a gale, outside, appears to be dry at the moment but probably not for long.

Half term here has finished, it's an in-service day today, should get lots done without constant interruptions.

My friend and I went for a lovely Indian meal yesterday, a bargain at £9 for 2, three lovely courses. I have another voucher so must book that up soon.

Not much else happening, didn't have a very good sleep so feel a little sluggish at the moment.

Glad all went well yesterday TA.

Have a good day, take care. XX
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 14th Feb 18, 7:07 AM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 42,102 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:07 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:07 AM
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, dry but cold.

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early, both boys still in their pits. DH said I was awful in the night, I can remember parts of a dream, that woke me with a start.

Dinner last night was fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg. I remembered to get the pork steaks out of the freezer, I'll be braising them in the oven in stock, which I'll then use to make the gravy, we'll be having mash, carrots, LO cauli/broc cheese and LO yorkshires with it, there's still some apple crumble for dessert.

I'm working all day which should be fun, as I seem to be on the winning side of my cold now, but this morning my voice is going, so trying to talk to people all day will be fun! One of my colleagues had another customer who wasn't very nice but we've done all we can and the customer has been given numerous chances and now all the agencies are saying we can't do anymore, not a nice situation to be in. Looking forward to finishing tonight and then being on days' off until Monday.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 14-02-2018 at 7:10 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Feb 18, 7:10 AM
    • 6,411 Posts
    • 40,521 Thanks
    Gers
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:10 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:10 AM
    Good morning.

Still windy and rainy here, fingers crossed that the snow doesnít arrive.

I too had to ,changeí my five day old password but I just used the same one. Every five days is a bit extreme.

Off to Oban this morning, I just hope the students are there, they havenít turned up on Monday or Tuesday.

I recorded Shetland last night as I was very tired and wanted to sleep. Iíll catch up tonight.

Hope everyone is doing well or getting better. Happy Wednesday.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 14th Feb 18, 7:12 AM
    • 6,674 Posts
    • 92,949 Thanks
    redruby
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:12 AM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:12 AM
    Morning all

I too have had to change my password again this morning I do hope this is not going to be a regular thing its quite annoying.

Off to work for me today its very cold and frosty here but meant to rain later on, which means we will be quiet again.

Not sure about dinner tonight will go and look in the freezer after this there is plenty in there so we wont starve.

TA good luck with the kitchen man, its very exciting but I don't envy you the chaos which will ensue !

Have good days everyone xx
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 14th Feb 18, 7:14 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 6,769 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    Had to reset my password again too. What is going on?
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 14th Feb 18, 7:45 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 5,505 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Asked me to reset my password but when I tried it said

You have entered an invalid username or password

but realised I'm logged in ?? Site looks different

I'm too old for this
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 14th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 4,010 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning Everyone,

I too have had to change my password again after 5 days too. The Forum team are aware - so hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Sunny and cold outside - rain forecast for later.

No real plans for today.

Have a good day x
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 14th Feb 18, 8:49 AM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 20,022 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

What is going on with this site, change your password its 5 days old and has expired, if this does not stop I will be walking, its so annoying. I logged in using my old password eventually. I can feel a lot of frustration coming from people using the site.

Its a very cold frosty morning.......central heating blaring away the sun is out, but no real heat in it. The sitting room was so cold yesterday I lit the fire and turned the rad off. We have decided to replace the open fire with an electric one, so I have coal to use up.

Nothing on today, tomorrow I have to take OH to have his cataract assessed, not looking forward to him having the op, something is bound to go wrong..........as he cannot drive anymore, If I have to have my second one done later, I will have to use the volunteer transport.

Very tired this morning OH was awake and drinking tea at 1am, I could not get back to sleep again, so have had about 4 hours sleep if that.

No idea what OH wants for supper. He had chicken and rice last night and 2 1/2 lemon pancakes.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 14th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    • 2,001 Posts
    • 20,433 Thanks
    snoozer
    They're going to lose a lot of members if they don't resolve this password issue quickly. I've changed mine again but I won't do it for much longer.

It's nice to be home even if it's just for one day. We're trying to support DD while her DH is in India - he's left her dealing with the insurance repair on a flat they own.

I need to go, DH has just com in ready for the gym so I'm ging with him as the Lidl is just across the road.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th Feb 18, 8:54 AM
    • 1,917 Posts
    • 15,411 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning,

After a busy day in work yesterday, I headed home to get changed and disappear back out for birthday celebrations with my gran.

83 she now is. I love her to bits. She's always smiling, like always. Probably due to her boundless energy and positivity. I used to think of her as the personification of Mother Nature, as she would always tend to her lovely front and back garden, which has sporadic birdhouses - and she even used to have a rabbit hutch. She still to this day puts out some raisins on the doorstep of her porch to feed a blackbird which has a bad leg and is seemingly bullied by the other blackbirds. Not to mention that she continues to spoil me. As her only grandchild, I look to show how much I love and appreciate her. I'm not sure how much a bouquet of flowers, chocolates and a card can do that, but I hope it goes someway.

Tonight I won't have the luxury of going out for a nice meal. Playing football tonight with diminished numbers, as I think a lot of the boys are out treating their respective other halves. I don't miss a relationship - just yet.

Camelot - Bargain indeed!! Groupon?

ps - i haven't had to change my password, yet.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 14th Feb 18, 8:56 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all
    Well i seem to be back to my old self but how long will it last i had to change passwords again and the computer had remembered it so changed it again i hope i remember it as reset is a nightmare
    Dolly has been walked with one of her chums and is snoozing
    DS has an interview on friday so fingers crossed as i am going mad already with him at home and as he has mild aspergers when he isn't busy he is a nightmare
    The toilet broke last night the water kept running and it was so noisy its a concelealed cistern so at 11pm DH wasn't too impressed so buckets at the ready today
    Off to the flat so the blinds can be replaced for the correct ones then will see whats in the freezer for dinner
    Have a great day whatever you are up to stay warm and safe x
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 14th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 25,599 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Another one here who has had to change a 5 day old password, it's ridiculous and will drive people away
    Anyway, early start as yet another BT engineer this morning, don't suppose for a minute he's solved the problem but was happy to drink our coffee and pretend he has! Think the main problem is none of them are willing or able to check the wire between each of our telegraph poles so just go over the same old thing time and time again. Ok, rant over
    Cold here today but dry at the moment with a little sunshine, the jackdaws have clearly managed to move some of the cowling as once again one has got stuck under the floorboards in the study so had to be freed first thing. Oh the joys of living in the country!
    We have taken advantage of the £20 Mr Sparks meal deal so will be having some of that tonight, way the day is going will be hitting the plonk sooner rather than later

Glad to read that the appointment went well yesterday TA
    Speky your love for your Gran shines through and brought a tear to my eye reading about her, reminded me of my lovely Grandma, long gone but never forgotten x

Right, time to clear the study of the presents left by Mr Jack, have a good day folks x
    • poppy811
    • By poppy811 14th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    poppy811
    Good morning all. Still very cold here in the Cotswolds. the odd snowflake falling. The Galapagos talk was superb. The man giving the talk had fabulous photo's of the wildlife. He is 80 this year and is already planning another trip to the Antarctic!
    I am off to the village coffee morning for a natter and gossip. I am restarting my little business this afternoon. I have rented a small area in an Antiques Centre to sell mainly Art Deco/ nouveau items. Have a good day everyone.
    • dp1
    • By dp1 14th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    • 261 Posts
    • 2,093 Thanks
    dp1
    Morning everyone
    I went to Glasgow on Monday and really enjoyed my overnight stay...could have done with a little bit more time on Tuesday really as my train left at 1pm, but never mind I can go back. Had a lovely long wander round the Kelvingrove museum...lots of interesting bits though I missed the stuffed animal section out, as I really don't like them.
    I spent a large part of my weekend fixing my dads' laptop only for it to stop working again on Monday! The wifi is working fine with other devices in the house but can't get it to work on his laptop. He is 82 and has dementia so he'll have pressed something but who knows what! Anyways he decided he wanted to go back to a big 17 inch screen...I've ordered a refurbished one from Tesco outlet at Ebay this morning with a 12 month guarantee. It was half the price of a brand new one of the same size. Hopefully it will be here on Friday so I can get him sorted before I'm back to work on Monday.
    My oven has broken but luckily its still under guarantee..I rang and was very surprised a man can come tomorrow! I'll get a text tonight with a four hour slot and then he'll text again when he's half an hour away. Doesn't matter for today as my mam and dad are treating me to lunch out, so I can just have a sandwich tonight.
    I have a dentist appointment before lunch...I need to make the decision whether to have all my remaining teeth out! I only have 7 left - 4 at the bottom and 3 at the top. However one of the top ones is a crown which quite often has to be repaired and the other 2 have veneers on them.I have dentures to fill in the gaps but have to polygrip them in place. Its just I'm only 50 and it just seems drastic to have no teeth at all! Any advice if anyones had a similar experience?
    Well I'd better move
    • Elona
    • By Elona 14th Feb 18, 11:31 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    Elona
    Really pleased as the small presents I ordered for middle dd have just arrived as have the crystals for cousin's birthday at the weekend. I need to get a pretty card and wrap up one lot of presents by Friday as dds are collecting me early on Saturday.

Have chicken veg noodles to heat for lunch and going to wash my hair before getting changed and doing library volunteering.

AOT

Have you tried mixing a little lemon juice with sugar into a paste and applying it to your hands- put on gloves and leave for 30 minutes then rinse with warm water. It stings but really helps. A gentler solution is using olive oil and sugar.

Hugs to all
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

338Posts Today

4,014Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin