Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • freeman3030
    • By freeman3030 12th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    • 196Posts
    • 91Thanks
    freeman3030
    Rules of the road
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    Rules of the road 12th Feb 18 at 7:23 PM
    Hi,
    On my way home tonight, I felt as if I had done something wrong so would like to get another opinion.
    I'm sat queuing at a set of traffic lights at a 3 way junction. I'm in the left lane and van driver is in the right lane. When going through the traffic lights the road remains 2 lanes and approaches another set of traffic lights about 100m further down the road.
    Once you pass the first set and approach the 2nd set, the left lane is used for left turn and straight ahead and the right lane is for right turn only.
    The first set of lights turn green so both lanes start to pull away and said van driver then decides to indicate to come into my lane (he probably knew before the first set of lights that he was going to need to be in the left lane, but does it to get ahead).
    Anyway there is about a 4 to 5 meter gap between me and the car in front of me that he's attempting to get into. He indicates and starts to veer into my lane so I sound my horn for about 2 seconds to alert him of my presence.
    I am correct in thinking that it is my right of way as I'm currently in the lane and hes trying to cut me up?
    I'm annoyed because when I sounded my horn, he brakes quite sharply (probably because he didn't even look in the near side mirror) and when I'm along side him, he sticks his middle finger up at me. He then pulls in behind me and flashes his lights a few time. A mile down the road, I need to turn left and he proceeds to beep his horn at me again as he passes me. Obviously he's angry, but am I in the wrong for not braking and letting him into my lane? I mean, the courteous thing would have been for me to slow down and allow him in ahead of me. But how is that fair?
    If I'm wrong, I'm glad I asked because I've learned something, but at the same time I'm annoyed he beeped at me because I didn't let him cut me up.
    DEBTS:
    *Sainsburys: £0/£924.28
    *Tesco: £1,000/£1,200
    *Amex £1000/£1015.90
    *Barclaycard £1,898.58/£1667.23
    *My partner: £200/£2,000
Page 1
    • Roland Sausage
    • By Roland Sausage 12th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Roland Sausage
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    That's the problem with the roads. Too many people trying to protect their "right of way" instead of doing the courteous thing.

Would it really have made a difference to you to let him in?
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 12th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 3,496 Posts
    • 6,017 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    Sounds like both of you were in the wrong.

Next time be more chilled, driving is not a contest to be the first at the next lights.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 12th Feb 18, 7:55 PM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:55 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 7:55 PM
    He was in front trying to merge into your lane?

You presume he knew before hand he would need to move left and just used the right lane to "get ahead" so thought !!!!!! that I'm not letting you in?

(when in fact, even if he did know, there could be many reasons he was in that lane, ie ignorant idiots not letting him merge or maybe thought he would use the whole of the road network like it's supposed to be)

You were turning off the road in a mile, what difference did being a van length back make? .5 second on your journey? Even if it made you miss the next set of light 1 minute, 2?

Yes he probably shouldn't have reacted aggressively to your aggression but that's how these things start.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 12th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    Should have got out of the car and shot him two or three times, it seems to work okay in the U.S.

Or maybe not

People on the road are stupid in their metal boxes, let him in and smile and think serene thoughts, it`s better for your health and your driving.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 12th Feb 18, 8:42 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:42 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:42 PM
    He was in front trying to merge into your lane?
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    Did it have 'freeman3030' written along it?

The incident was potentially dangerous, because the OP could see what the driver in front was going to do, but decided not to allow it; it was a van - often longer and harder to judge distances.

No harm done this time, so all is well.

• RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 12th Feb 18, 8:48 PM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 4,308 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:48 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:48 PM
    Did it have 'freeman3030' written along it?
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Well the OP claimed it in the first post and was prepared to defend it from the nasty van driver who was trying to steal 3 or 4 meters of it.

Must admit it's got a nice ring to it, "take the next left on the freeman 3030"
    • aggi
    • By aggi 12th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    aggi
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 8:53 PM
    I have been driving to work for 3 years with similar frustrations EVERY DAY. after few months I have adapted motto!!!8217;can!!!8217;t beat them, join them!!!8217;
    certainly helped my blood pressure. not saying it is the just thing to do but you never know who is behind the other wheel. new sat nav? desparate person in pain trying to get somewhere in an emergency or just a voilent thug that may harm you for silly reason... as Elsa said. !!!8216; let it go let it go!!!8217;
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 12th Feb 18, 10:19 PM
    • 2,941 Posts
    • 1,864 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:19 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 10:19 PM
    Hi,
    I am correct in thinking that it is my as I'm currently in the lane and hes trying to cut me up?
    Originally posted by freeman3030
    No, you're not correct. The Highway Code tells us that no one ever has "right of way".

It also tells us to be considerate to other road users.
    • Gellerbing
    • By Gellerbing 12th Feb 18, 10:27 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Gellerbing
    I probably wouldn't have beeped my horn, but i wouldn't have let him in either. He should have waited for a gap not force his way in.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 12th Feb 18, 11:11 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I probably wouldn't have beeped my horn, but i wouldn't have let him in either. He should have waited for a gap not force his way in.
    Originally posted by Gellerbing
    3 or 4 meters
    Might just squeeze in

• George Michael
    • By George Michael 12th Feb 18, 11:28 PM
    • 3,056 Posts
    • 4,135 Thanks
    George Michael
    I probably wouldn't have beeped my horn
    Originally posted by Gellerbing
    To be fair, the Op didn't beep their horn. They gave a 2 second blast which IMO is far longer than would have been required if the intention was simply to advise another driver of your presence.
    • facade
    • By facade 13th Feb 18, 5:26 AM
    • 3,156 Posts
    • 1,659 Thanks
    facade
    I wouldn't let in a huge van, belching filthy smoke into my heater intake and making it impossible to see what is going on in front either.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 13th Feb 18, 8:26 AM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    If the van was in a lane marked for a direction other than they took then they committed an offence of driving without due consideration. However, if there are two lanes then these are provided to get everyone across the junction efficiently.

I'm not averse to being awkward if it is obvious that a driver is aggressively and obviously trying to force their way through traffic but in the end there is a point where you give in with good grace.

I learned my lesson a long time ago when I simply sounded my horn at an Arsenal fan who drove at right angles across the slip road just in front of me so he could drive up the hard shoulder to get round queuing traffic (before hard shoulder running). He eventually trapped me, got out and amusingly shouted "What's your problem?"

It is not our job to police the roads - and it is quite clear as a cyclist that those who take the role on don't know the law.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 13th Feb 18, 10:25 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    Is it worth having an accident over? Just let them in next time.
    • Senseicads
    • By Senseicads 13th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Senseicads
    I think it depends, did he indicate and then just pull in, or did he indicate and wait for you to realise that he was wanting to pull in? from the sound of it I think it sounds like he indicated and then tried to force his way into a gap that wasn't really there and just expected everyone to get out of their way. I think I am on the OP's side with this one, they could have probably been a bit less aggressive with the horn, but I would have beeped too. Either way his manoeuvre has caused others to brake, and his reaction seems ridiculous!!! he must have known he'd done something stupid, just accept your lumps and get on with it. The OP could have probably been a bit more patient, but it's aggressive driving like the van driver that causes accidents.
    • stator
    • By stator 13th Feb 18, 11:08 AM
    • 6,241 Posts
    • 4,122 Thanks
    stator
    As the driver changing lanes the onus is on him to complete the manoeuvre safely. IF he can not do that then he cancels the manoeuvre.
    However you should also be on the look out for drivers changing lanes and if he started indicating then you should allow him space to complete the change.
    If there was an accident it would probably be marked down as his fault since he was changing lanes.
    However if either of you were taking your driving test you would have failed.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • rocketrob5
    • By rocketrob5 13th Feb 18, 11:45 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    rocketrob5
    Too many inconsiderate drivers around today. I also hate people who just push their way in to beat a bit of a que (was that not made an offence...?).
    If I find myself in the wrong lane, I will indicate and wait for someone to let me in (or a gap), which would be considerate.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 13th Feb 18, 12:15 PM
    • 3,822 Posts
    • 4,044 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    You only have to read this forum to see the expense and hassle involved if you have an accident.

I will do anything to avoid an accident as I don't have the time to deal with it and I want to get to where I am going on time.

I don't care it is my right of way or not.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 2,519 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    You only have to read this forum to see the expense and hassle involved if you have an accident.

I will do anything to avoid an accident as I don't have the time to deal with it and I want to get to where I am going on time.

I don't care it is my right of way or not.
    Originally posted by SuzieSue
    Exactly. A bit of dented pride, a moment of indignation and a few seconds added to your journey, versus smug self-satisfaction with the risk of weeks or even months of hassle and expense. “But I was in the right, so it was worth it.”
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

553Posts Today

5,631Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin