Rules of the road

Options

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    n217970 wrote: »
    Once upon a time, after a minute or so of waiting at a T junction to turn left into standing/crawling traffic I made the decision to "force" my way in. A Landrover Defender was so determined that I was not to get in they actually drove straight into the back of the car in front of them. Hilarious (for me at least).
    With a name like that, they felt obliged to.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    with the risk of weeks or even months of hassle and expense.

Make that years when you take account of your increased premiums.
  • mark1959
    mark1959 Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What colour was the van?
  • aggi
    aggi Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    judging by driving probably this
    article-2247898-1681E31E000005DC-683_634x377.jpg
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    As a man with a mean stare once said ""Do you feel lucky punk"".

You might have felt justified in giving van man a beep of your horn...Van man might have felt justified slamming into you and stabbing you to death.

Yes its unlikely but scary thing is,it does happen...or you have someone pull up behind you when arriving home.

Road rage can come out of now where,so maybe in future be the bigger man and flash him him and give hima friendly wave.
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2018 at 9:19AM
    Options
    aggi wrote: »
    !!!8217;can!!!8217;t beat them, join them!!!8217;

I'm surprised you remember all that!

I sometimes drive a car and sometimes a van, and I would argue I drive the same in both.

I'm amazed in the difference in other people's driving around me. I'm overtaken much more when in the van, and people are quick to pull out in front of me. I guess the perception is that vans are slower and van drivers don't deserve being polite to.

The OP should have just let the driver in. Even the phrase "starts to veer into my lane" suggests the OP sees the road ahead as theirs, and they'll decide whether or not someone else is allowed to use it.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Deastons wrote: »
    the phrase "starts to veer into my lane" suggests the OP sees the road ahead as theirs,
    or possibly it's just a short-hand phrase for "the lane I am currently travelling in". What we can't tell without being there is whether there was a suitable gap for the van to move into or not and hence whether the OP was being impeded. There seem to be plenty of people (in all forms of transport) who have forgotten what Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre actually means and assume that all three can take place simultaneously and that the blinking light means "I am going there NOW so watch out" rather than "I intend to move/turn to the left/right".

As for perception of vans... You're probably right - many people just see a box that is blocking their way/view and want to get away from it. Plus stereotyping... a minority of van drivers behave like anal sphincters so others assume the majority will do the same.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    This sounds like a typical road rage incident.
  • IanMSpencer
    Options
    The other thing car drivers need to remember is that like lorries, vans are a nightmare to see backwards out of, van drivers do need to rely on cooperation at times.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    There seem to be plenty of people (in all forms of transport) who have forgotten what Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre actually means

Including yourself, it seems. It's MirrorS, plural.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure