What would you do with 50k?

Options
Mortgage is paid off, no credit cards, no debts. If you had 50 k savings, what would you do with it with plans to save and invest not necessarily spend it?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Without knowing objectives nobody can really answer that. If you do get answers then those people will be looking at their objectives and that isnt very helpful for you.

However......
    What would you do with 50k?

I'd be more worried about where the rest of it went. ;) -
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd genuinely have no idea what I'd do with it long term, so I'd look to have it in an easy access savings account until I made my mind up. Probably a one year NSI account so I can get at it if I did decide the house needs a new roof or a loft extension. I wouldn't invest it because there's plenty of things I could decide to do with it in the next few years.

I'm not sure that helps you though.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    I'd give it all to the dogs trust and ask them to open a kennel in my name
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I!!!8217;m just looking for peoples own opinions. I currently have some in ns&i lotto draw bonds. A regular saver. ISA. But still access to it all without penalty, so I!!!8217;d be interested to hear what others would do if they were in the position to make this decision. No suggestions are wrong or crazy, but interesting to hear. 18cc... are you my mum ? Haha !!!55357;!!!56397;bless you on that !
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,579 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd start squirrelling away some of it in current accounts which either have access to RS or pay interest-even both- that would take up at least half of it. Generally earning more than most savings accounts
    Enjoy spending a bit. Decorate house? Re-jig garden? Go on a fabulous holiday
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    If you want access to it without penalties, then essentially you have little option beyond savings accounts and similar. Some will give good rates but only on modest sums, and usually/always for a short period such as a year, so you could spread it around multiple such accounts.

Or blow most of it on fast cars, booze, and women/men. Then squander the rest.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stuff it all in stocks and shares ISA, invest money in diversified global portfolio.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • GT85
    GT85 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if this is a speculative question or whether you're contemplating investing and looking for generic/popular opinions.

Scenario A - Average DIY investor with time on your side:
    - Stick it in an stocks and shares ISA for that tax protection (or increase pension contributions), and invest in a low-fee index tracker. Don't aim to beat the market, but replicate it. Age and goals/time frame of wanting to withdraw the money will dictate your asset allocation.

Scenario B - approaching retirement/retired:
    - I'd be emphasising the importance of compound interest on investments and have my children/grandchildren doing the same from as early age as possible. If I was well off, I'd use it to help get them involved in the markets. If I was invested myself, generally speaking you'd be in more bonds than equities to have 'locked in' gains from stock growth over the years.

Scenario C - Rich tycoon:
    If I had a lot of disposable income, or had enough assets in all to see me through to retirement, I'd invest in something I was interested in. Sponsoring local bike racing teams, buying into local football clubs etc, or companies with good business plans that you are interested in etc.
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I like scenario C, I!!!8217;m keen to invest in businesses but ones that shed a return. I have invested but not stocks and shares as I don!!!8217;t know much about them. My question is both speculative as I!!!8217;m keen to hear what others would do in the same circumstances as some suggestions are really interesting and relevant, also interested to hear investing suggestions. Thank you
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Smb3088 wrote: »
    I like scenario C, I!!!8217;m keen to invest in businesses but ones that shed a return. I have invested but not stocks and shares as I don!!!8217;t know much about them. My question is both speculative as I!!!8217;m keen to hear what others would do in the same circumstances as some suggestions are really interesting and relevant, also interested to hear investing suggestions. Thank you

If you are keen to invest in businesses on which you can reasonably expect a return, then investing in equities is the obvious way forward, but not in buying individual company shares because that is very high risk. Instead, investing in a diversified portfolio either through ETFs or OEICs would be more sensible. Perhaps you would benefit from spending a little time learning about stocks and shares.

However, if you really want to be hands on with your investments in small businesses that interest you, then be prepared to do a lot of research on those businesses and the market they operate in. Also be prepared for the fact that they may well fail and you could lose all of your money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure