PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Commuting - how far is too far?

Options
My partner and I are currently looking to purchase a house in the Manchester/Stockport area. At present we have no children, but this is likely to be something we consider in the near future.

We both work in the city and have a car. We would have loved to buy in South Manchester where we're currently renting, but we simply cannot justify the cost for the average 3 bed house. We've been looking further out, where the average commute to work will be around 40 miles a day. I currently live around 8 miles from work and although the traffic is bad, it isn't gruelingly so. I am very fortunate as my hours are flexible, so it isn't too big of an issue if I get caught in traffic. It takes me around 40 minutes from my door to my office.

The properties we are looking at are close to railway stations and only 40 mins into the city via train. It's also marginally closer to my family who live on the other side of the peaks. If we move further out, travel costs will increase significantly, but I have the option of driving or using the train. I will either have more petrol costs to pay, or a £1184 a year rail/tram/bus pass.

In the past, I've driven a 50 mile round journey, but this was with a small amount of city driving, then a swift zip down the M1/M18, so nowhere near as bad as the A6. I love the area we've looked at, have a house in mind but I have this fear that we'll buy a house there, love it for the first few months while it's all new, then dread the journey to work for the rest of the time I live there. I also worry about the future, if we choose to have children, and the additional time/cost travelling so far will add.

I hope this is in the right section, but I'm just looking for experiences of those who currently commute more than 30 miles a day to work, how you find this, and if you find it's worth the sacrifice :)

Comments

• ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I live in Stockton on Tees and work in Leeds, its a 59 mile trip each way to the office.

They do let me work from home most of the time though :money:
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I live south of Chester and drive to Liverpool each day. 80 mile round trip. Before that I've worked in Derby, 140 mile round trip. I hated the A50 at Stoke and Uttoxeter after that
  • KatieDee
    KatieDee Posts: 709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ashe wrote: »
    I live in Stockton on Tees and work in Leeds, its a 59 mile trip each way to the office.

They do let me work from home most of the time though :money:

Thanks for your response :) That's quite a distance! How do you find it when you do have to go into the office?

I too can work from home, although I am expected to be in the office a fair bit. I could make an arrangement with my employer to work from home on certain days of the week to reduce costs, but I would feel a bit cheeky doing this as a result of me choosing to move further away :rotfl:
    unforeseen wrote: »
    I live south of Chester and drive to Liverpool each day. 80 mile round trip. Before that I've worked in Derby, 140 mile round trip. I hated the A50 at Stoke and Uttoxeter after that

Wow, that is also quite a distance! This is starting to make me realise that maybe I'm worrying about nothing!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In the past, on a daily commute, I've driven 50 miles each way each day - BUT - I did it every day KNOWING .... that one day that car would break down and I'd be stranded somewhere in the middle, without the funds to repair the car and ability to get to work every day.

I was relieved when I was laid off ... as I was going to have to get a job closer to home.

In short: That job pays for everything - and you need to be AT the job daily. There's no phoning in saying "car's broken, see you in a few weeks"... you need the ability to have the funds available to get the car towed away, get it fixed/pay for that AND the funds for alternative transport -AND- for there to actually be a second way of getting to work for the times you're required.

If keeping your house relies on your car continuing to work without fault ... and/or if you've got enough spare cash sitting around to be able to buy yourself out of that problem if it happens.... then that's fine.

If ... your car being off the road for 2-3 weeks will lose you that job, then it's not really doable.
  • KatieDee
    Options
    In the past, on a daily commute, I've driven 50 miles each way each day - BUT - I did it every day KNOWING .... that one day that car would break down and I'd be stranded somewhere in the middle, without the funds to repair the car and ability to get to work every day.

I was relieved when I was laid off ... as I was going to have to get a job closer to home.

In short: That job pays for everything - and you need to be AT the job daily. There's no phoning in saying "car's broken, see you in a few weeks"... you need the ability to have the funds available to get the car towed away, get it fixed/pay for that AND the funds for alternative transport -AND- for there to actually be a second way of getting to work for the times you're required.

If keeping your house relies on your car continuing to work without fault ... and/or if you've got enough spare cash sitting around to be able to buy yourself out of that problem if it happens.... then that's fine.

If ... your car being off the road for 2-3 weeks will lose you that job, then it's not really doable.

Thank you for your reply, this is definitely worth thinking about, and I'm sure it's something that not many people think about.

In terms of how this would affect my situation, we are fortunate enough to have savings in the event of issues with the car, not to mention that I would be able to hop on the train in the event that my car wasn't available. I also have very understanding employers and as I said, the option to work from home if required, so this might not be a huge barrier.

Definitely something to remember though, as I am a born worrier and panic about my car breaking down almost every day on the way to work. I can only imagine the nightmare of the car dying on a busy A6, and the response I'd get from passersby as I delayed them even more :rotfl:
  • Cash-Cows
    Options
    Question is is it too far for you. Everyone!!!8217;s different. I would hate losing an hour a day for travelling to work while others think nothing of an hour each way.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You say that you can't justify the cost of a property in South Manchester which makes it appear you could afford one. I'd say your concerns about the daily commute would certainly justify the outlay.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's not so much the distance but the traffic/time it takes.

Any chance you could drive out to where you want to buy at 'going home time', stay overnight in a B&B and then drive to work in the morning? That would at least give you some idea if it is do-able or not.
  • KatieDee
    edited 10 February 2018 at 2:20PM
    Options
    Cash-Cows wrote: »
    Question is is it too far for you. Everyone!!!8217;s different. I would hate losing an hour a day for travelling to work while others think nothing of an hour each way.

Good question!

I can deal with the commute, as I don't think I've ever lived closer than 10 miles to my office. However, I've mostly rented for the past couple of years, so I've always had the ability to move on if the drive got too much. With buying, I need to be absolutely sure I can handle it, otherwise I'd be unhappy. Having been unhappy in a property I owned before, I absolutely do not want to run the risk of feeling like that again, as it caused me a lot of stress.

Renting over that way for a while might be beneficial, that way I can experience it without the commitment, but it's unnecessary cost at a time where the market is increasing, and I don't want to end up being priced out.

This is why I'm really keen on reading other peoples experiences. I know we're all different and some of us have a higher tolerance for commuting than others, but I'm looking for positives or negatives each way, so I can try and relate :)
    It's not so much the distance but the traffic/time it takes.

Any chance you could drive out to where you want to buy at 'going home time', stay overnight in a B&B and then drive to work in the morning? That would at least give you some idea if it is do-able or not.

This is a great idea - we actually chose to drive over after work to view a property and it wasn't as bad as I anticipated. However, that was just one journey, with no other stresses, so I'd need to do it several times to truly feel the rage of being stuck in traffic!
    parkrunner wrote: »
    You say that you can't justify the cost of a property in South Manchester which makes it appear you could afford one. I'd say your concerns about the daily commute would certainly justify the outlay.

We probably could afford one, but it would be the top end of our budget for a very basic house, probably not in the best area either. There are three bedroom houses going in, I hate to say it, less desirable areas that are edging on £240k. For £50k less, we could get the same size property, in a quieter and greener area - the main reason for this being the nightmare commute of course.

It's such a hard decision to make. Luckily we're not under any pressure to buy immediately, but seeing how fast the market is moving, it's hard not to panic.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    KatieDee wrote: »
    ... some of us have a higher tolerance for commuting than others....
    You're right - and that is, in part, to do with disposable income/ability to buy your way out of things and to have a more comfy car.

I know somebody whose almost daily commute is 90 miles each way. 1½ hours on a day without road events, each way. 3 hours/day.

It'd drive me mad.... but then I don't have a music system in the car, nor a really comfy car/ride ... and I'm also not a higher rate tax payer like they are. When their car breaks down they get it dealt with and their local dealer provides them with a car at the drop of a hat .... because it's them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure