No phone socket

We're about to move in to a flat we purchased recently and noticed there weren't any phone sockets / BT "master" socket to plug in an internet router...

The flat is in a ~50 year old building. We don't understand how it can be that there is no phone socket in the property - how did the previous owners get internet? There is no trace of any virgin media either..

I've called Sky to arrange an engineer to come and activate the line and put a new socket, I'm just curious to know if this has happened to anyone else..

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It may be hard to believe, but not everyone has internet or even a phone.

My sister ,who was with PlusNet, moved to Sky, because their moving costs were a lot less, but she did lose her number of many years, as the previous owner of the property she moved to, did not have a physical line (as opposed to a cut service), so there was no line to migrate to.

She wasn't charged for the line installation, possibly as Sky originally misunderstood the situation, but she was already contracted with them at the time of the move.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    GMNN wrote: »
    We're about to move in to a flat we purchased recently and noticed there weren't any phone sockets / BT "master" socket to plug in an internet router...

The flat is in a ~50 year old building. We don't understand how it can be that there is no phone socket in the property - how did the previous owners get internet? There is no trace of any virgin media either..

I've called Sky to arrange an engineer to come and activate the line and put a new socket, I'm just curious to know if this has happened to anyone else..

Has the flat been refurbished before you moved in ?, often any existing phone sockets/wiring are just ripped out and discarded, so although the place looks 'new' , you have the 'problem' of getting a new line installed, even though the phone company system may say a line should exist.
    Sky are a user of Openreach products, so the 'phone' engineer will be an Openreach employee working on Sky's behalf, any enquirys you may need to make ( if no one shows up on the day Sky say the 'line' will be installed for example ) will have to be via Sky as you cannot contact OR directly...or as already stated , perhaps the previous occupant never wanted or needed a 'line' for phone/internet
  • Is there an external line to the building? If so try and follow it into the house and trace the wire.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Ask a neighbour whose flat has the same layout and orientation where their socket is, if they have one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure