Just bought a new 4k TV

I've just bought a new 4k TV and although the HD channels both on Freeview and Sky look great the SD channels from Sky look like crap compared to the Freeview SD channels.

Is this a ploy by Sky to get you to subscribe to their HD channels?

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,100 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Also just got a 4K tele.

Now to ditch Sky
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    st999 wrote: »
    I've just bought a new 4k TV and although the HD channels both on Freeview and Sky look great the SD channels from Sky look like crap compared to the Freeview SD channels.

Is this a ploy by Sky to get you to subscribe to their HD channels?

Your SD channels are stretched over more pixels,much more.
    Also a lot of the image quality is down to your Tvs upscaling.
    I dont find our SD channels that bad on a standard Sky (not Q) box/55" screen.
    Is it all channels or some in particular?
  • Is this a ploy by Sky to get you to subscribe to their HD channels?

Wouldn't surprise me, the audio is terrible compared to the HD version too. We have a HD TV rather than 4K but the SD channels tend to look horrible in comparision.
  • Hoogle
    Hoogle Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 February 2018 at 9:39AM
    Wait until sky go to tv over internet you will get a lot better picture quality (assuming you have decent broadband speeds) I struggle to even get free view in my place and as it is rented I am not allowed a dish. I was not a fan of virgin tv but love their broadband so I found NOW TV, AMazon Prime Video and Netflix

Now TV has pretty much best of Sky with a few live tv stations but offers more of a sky catch up service showing lots of box sets. The base is around £7.99 a month and you can add on sky cinema/movies for an additional £10 a month but there is always offers on like 3 months for the price of 1 or get movies and entertainment for the price of £7.99 etc. I like it and have had it for about 6 months but never paid for it yet as I got 3 months free with my xbox and 6 month free trial with my tv.

I order a lot on amazon so I have amazon prime which gives me a lot of free streaming movies and tv show, probably not quite as good as netflix but they are also partnering up with a lot of other companies so it is getting better. Amazon usually do an amazon prime day around July which will allow you to get the a year of prime for around £35 the problem is you have to be a prime customer to get the deal so either take out monthly until then or wait til they announce the date and sign up for a 30 day trial then.

Netflix I have a love hate relationship with I pay top price for it to get the 4k ultra hd streaming, but that doesnt mean everything is capable of it in fact it is quite limited. The things you would expect to be in 4k like all modern action movies etc arent but cooking shows and stand up comedy are..... So my advice is you dont need the 4k Version.

All comes in less than a typical sky package and gives you literally everything you could ever want to watch.

The only live tv I watch these days are usually special live events.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We had Sky until the end of 2017 and noticed no difference in sound quality between SD and HD on Sky or Freeview . The Sky broadcasts are low in volume though (due to a decision some years ago where Sky didn't want to be prosecuted for damaging viewers' hearing),meaning a blast of sound if one forgot to lower the volume before switching to non-Sky Freeview.

We have 42" and find HD and SD (except where the SD is old footage) hard to distinguish, but I can tell when my son's tv is not on HD as the picture is fuzzy. His tv is a 50",but viewed from further away , so the difference does surprise me. (Part of this could be due to the quality of the set though )
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No doubt that some channels in SD are worse when watched thru the Sky box. We find BBC2 Wales broadcasts almost unwatchable and Sky's Pick channel is as bad.
  • How much did you get the tv for? About the HD channels, you are correct. You only get to enjoy your hd if you have the high def channels.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure