Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stanthealien
    • By stanthealien 7th Feb 18, 2:17 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 8Thanks
    stanthealien
    Faulty board, then accident damage in packaging
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:17 PM
    Faulty board, then accident damage in packaging 7th Feb 18 at 2:17 PM
    Bought a new motherboard on Ebay, it didn't work so I opened a returns case seller gave rma fast so thought good, during repackaging I was placing the cpu cover back on and the plastic slipped, bent about 6 pins on the board, which I instantly went online and mentioned on the returns case.

A few days pass and get generic messages from the company like "return recieved, item with engineers for testing"

Then today a message of "the fault on the product was due to bent pins therefore we will not refund or replace" They ignored my 2 messages before stating this happened during packing and to be fair I did expect a issue as its hard to prove but now they are refusing a refund or to return the item to me so I am £130 out of pocket, I am worried Ebay may close case in their favour as I have admitted the damage during return.

Any rights?
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 10,519 Posts
    • 4,444 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    You damaged it .
    Not sure how you can proof the original fault .
    Obviously RMA cannot test this original fault .
    • stanthealien
    • By stanthealien 7th Feb 18, 3:10 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    stanthealien
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:10 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:10 PM
    The point now is though they have the board, and are refusing to return it either so I have neither the board to attempt my own fix, to go to the manufacturer or do what I want with it.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 7th Feb 18, 3:29 PM
    • 2,416 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:29 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:29 PM
    You need to send them a pre-paid label so they can return your board.

Why would you expect them to return it at their expense?
    Signature removed by ForumTeam again
    • stanthealien
    • By stanthealien 7th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    stanthealien
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    Did I say I wanted it back for free?!
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 7th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 5,934 Posts
    • 12,586 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    Originally posted by stanthealien
    Your first post doesnt mention anything about 'asking to pay for them to post it back' only that they ignored your messages saying 'it happened during packaging' (which is irrelevant, it doesnt matter if you damaged it during packaging, or whilst using it as a hammer, its damaged)
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 7th Feb 18, 4:58 PM
    • 2,416 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:58 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:58 PM
    So, have you told them you will be sending a pre-paid label then?
    • stanthealien
    • By stanthealien 7th Feb 18, 5:31 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    stanthealien
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:31 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:31 PM
    So, have you told them you will be sending a pre-paid label then?
    Originally posted by usefulmale
    Notice you know you can't win the argument so you have to ask another question without knowing the whole situation, you shouldn't think of yourself as clever as you think.

They have refused to let me have it back, not specifically for them to return the item, they claimed that since its damaged they have disposed of it.

The flow of the conversation was after they told me its damaged so they won't replace or refund I asked what happened to the board, I could have it since I paid for it, they said it was disposed of.

So I offer them a pre paid label for a item they have binned?! And before you mention it I never mentioned it in the original post as like below I was trying to keep a response short and simple, too simple it seems for some people

Your first post doesnt mention anything about 'asking to pay for them to post it back' only that they ignored your messages saying 'it happened during packaging' (which is irrelevant, it doesnt matter if you damaged it during packaging, or whilst using it as a hammer, its damaged)
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    Because of the communication breakdown they had with me I used the word return on here meaning "let me have it back" or it being returned to me, basically to cover any reason but in future I will bear in mind and use something like "let me have it back at all" But regardless they are refusing me access to my own property and acting like its theirs that was the original intention of their words.

I could of also lied and said it arrived damaged but it was dead on arrival, my own fault for trying to be safe and put the cover back on as its stated on the label its there to protect the pins from damage, and a few years back sent back a faulty board to a seller who refused a refund because I didn't put the cpu cover on so it might of been damaged in transit.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 7th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    It strikes me that they have destroyed YOUR property without your permission. Maybe you could ask them which part of the Consumer Rights Act gives them the right to do that. We all know it was damaged and that you did it (you even told them so) but they should have offered it back to you. Maybe you can try the small claims court preceded by a Letter Before Action as a shot across their bows.
    • bris
    • By bris 7th Feb 18, 7:18 PM
    • 7,675 Posts
    • 6,678 Thanks
    bris
    Well the way they see it you put the CPU in the wrong way. Bent the pins then tried to con them.

Bent pins are a common mistake to make so they will see this regularly like every other motherboard seller.

Bent the pins repackaging it is a tall story and as there is a protective cover over it so it's hard to see how it could happen.

You can save the hassle now, it's impossible to fix and the manufacturer would see it the same way as the retailer so there is no scope to win this one.
    • stanthealien
    • By stanthealien 7th Feb 18, 7:30 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    stanthealien
    Well the way they see it you put the CPU in the wrong way. Bent the pins then tried to con them.

Bent pins are a common mistake to make so they will see this regularly like every other motherboard seller.

Bent the pins repackaging it is a tall story and as there is a protective cover over it so it's hard to see how it could happen.

You can save the hassle now, it's impossible to fix and the manufacturer would see it the same way as the retailer so there is no scope to win this one.
    Originally posted by bris
    The cpu only goes in one way so it can't go in the wrong way, and I have been building pcs for 18 years as well as building them and tech support for the past 3 years, in my own history only once did bent pints occur in the past and that was when a cpu wasn't aligned correctly and lifting it back up grazed the pins.

But the general point was they have disposed of my property without giving me option to get it back, the main point was checking the legality of that.

If someone wanted to con they would struggle to bend just 6 pins, then admit it straight away even more so when its free returns and unless someone knew what bent pins looked like they wouldn't know even I barely noticed them.

The actual issue was when I was clipping the protective cover back on it slipped, combination of me not being the most alert at the time and trying to slide the cover.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 7th Feb 18, 7:46 PM
    • 2,416 Posts
    • 4,469 Thanks
    usefulmale
    Nothing changed at all, you just want to cause a argument the fact they disposed of it makes no difference, it still comes under the fact they didn't want to return it to me (BECAUSE they disposed of it)

I noticed you gave zero advice so far instead looking for something to dig

Does it make you feel special to try and get one over on people?

When people have to find something to boost their own ego I call Billy no mates.
    Quite simply, the thread should just be "I returned a faulty motherboard and they claimed no fault and just disposed of my motherboard."

I have given no advice because you didn't post the full details. If you had just told the truth there would be nothing to 'dig'.

The only thing you can do is follow Le_Kirks advice.

If you do ever return with another problem, my advice to you would be to tell the whole truth from the outset.

These boards are full of stories that 'evolve' like yours and I am not alone in looking for discrepancies in posts.
    • stanthealien
    • By stanthealien 7th Feb 18, 7:49 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    stanthealien
    Quite simply, the thread should just be "I returned a faulty motherboard and they claimed no fault and just disposed of my motherboard."

I have given no advice because you didn't post the full details. If you had just told the truth there would be nothing to 'dig'.

The only thing you can do is follow Le_Kirks advice.

If you do ever return with another problem, my advice to you would be to tell the whole truth from the outset.

These boards are full of stories that 'evolve' like yours and I am not alone in looking for discrepancies in posts.
    Originally posted by usefulmale
    You mean you are not above trying to find fault in order to get one over on someone.

Look I was tired when I wrote the post, and I have various disabilities physical and learning difficulties that mean I don't come across as clear as I should it doesn't mean someone is lying.

Maybe you yourself should study up on certain things.

Also did you know theres a limit on what you can write as a title! I hit the limit with that title alone.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 7th Feb 18, 8:31 PM
    • 5,225 Posts
    • 5,773 Thanks
    societys child
    My son once worked as an engineer in the returns department of a large on-line seller, he couldn't believe the number of damaged main-boards that are allegedly sold everyday . . . no damage to the cover but the pins were all bent . . . honestly

• stanthealien
    • By stanthealien 7th Feb 18, 9:07 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    stanthealien
    My son once worked as an engineer in the returns department of a large on-line seller, he couldn't believe the number of damaged main-boards that are allegedly sold everyday . . . no damage to the cover but the pins were all bent . . . honestly
    Originally posted by societys child
    Not saying it doens't happen but in this case it was, I have had various contracts over the last few years from tech support to fixing pcs for local businesses, had pcs in that businesses report as no longer working for the physical motherboard to be snapped in half, or at least cracked in places which implies something like it was dropped, most common was spills inside pcs like coffee.

Up to a few years ago I could get boards that were dead on arrival quite often, even bought boards that people shipped in a envelope that were of course dead.

But like I said earlier it would be stupid to just damage a board to replace it, given it happened on day 1 I got it when theres a returns window for a no fuss return, then admit the error to the company so they knew exactly what to look for.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 08-02-2018 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 7th Feb 18, 9:22 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    stragglebod
    What value does a motherboard with damaged pins have? That's all you could recover from them.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Feb 18, 7:11 AM
    • 12,221 Posts
    • 8,255 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Putting aside any point of blame. If you opened a SNAD rather than a change of mind return on eBay and they accepted the return, providing you have returned it and have the tracking showing it was delivered (or attempted) then you can escalate it to eBay who will refund you*.

*If the seller is one who offers free returns with change of mind returns, then they can withhold some of the payment, but not all.

Now I am not say that is what you should do but that is the eBay system. That's how it works.
    • askmeaboutsofas
    • By askmeaboutsofas 8th Feb 18, 1:10 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    askmeaboutsofas
    Surely if they've disposed of it they owe you the value of the board in the condition it was returned to them, i.e. with bent pins. How much is a board with bent pins worth? I'm sure there must be a few for sale on eBay. A letter before action is certainly worth a shot, as long as the value of the broken item is more than the cost of postage. Or if you haven't already, a SNAD through eBay will almost certainly work as all it has to show is proof of delivery to the seller.
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 8th Feb 18, 5:31 PM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    Nilrem
    Surely if they've disposed of it they owe you the value of the board in the condition it was returned to them, i.e. with bent pins. How much is a board with bent pins worth? I'm sure there must be a few for sale on eBay. A letter before action is certainly worth a shot, as long as the value of the broken item is more than the cost of postage. Or if you haven't already, a SNAD through eBay will almost certainly work as all it has to show is proof of delivery to the seller.
    Originally posted by askmeaboutsofas
    A modern board with bent pins is typically virtually worthless.
    You cannot use it in a PC with the bent pins, and the pins are extremely (if not nearly impossible) to straighten out due to how thin they are, the spacing requirements for them to work, and the number in place.
    It's a job that could take several hours of very fiddly work to straighten, assuming it's not too bad (and none break) with no guarantee it'll work as you need to get every one exactly right.
    I think the only guaranteed fix is to replace the socket which typically has to be done at the factory and can cost nearly as much as the board.

The reason they started doing the pins on the board was because CPU's were frequently arriving damaged (but the pin density on CPU's was just at the limit of being able to be fixed with care*), and they knew it was going to get worse with newer designs that had more pins per inch.
    So they moved the pins to inside the socket on the motherboard because that offered them far more protection during shipping and fitting.

*Razor blade (or similar stiff but very thin metal to get alignment)), propelling pencil (slip over individual pins), time, luck and a lot of sweating and cursing. I had to do it several times for friends and I cannot imagine doing it on a motherboard, inside the confines of a socket (the "tricks" I used to help get the alignment wouldn't work).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,691Posts Today

8,589Users online

Martin's Twitter