Faulty board, then accident damage in packaging

Options
2»

Comments

• usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing changed at all, you just want to cause a argument the fact they disposed of it makes no difference, it still comes under the fact they didn't want to return it to me (BECAUSE they disposed of it)

I noticed you gave zero advice so far instead looking for something to dig

Does it make you feel special to try and get one over on people?

When people have to find something to boost their own ego I call Billy no mates.

Quite simply, the thread should just be "I returned a faulty motherboard and they claimed no fault and just disposed of my motherboard."

I have given no advice because you didn't post the full details. If you had just told the truth there would be nothing to 'dig'.

The only thing you can do is follow Le_Kirks advice.

If you do ever return with another problem, my advice to you would be to tell the whole truth from the outset.

These boards are full of stories that 'evolve' like yours and I am not alone in looking for discrepancies in posts.
  • stanthealien
    Options
    usefulmale wrote: »
    Quite simply, the thread should just be "I returned a faulty motherboard and they claimed no fault and just disposed of my motherboard."

I have given no advice because you didn't post the full details. If you had just told the truth there would be nothing to 'dig'.

The only thing you can do is follow Le_Kirks advice.

If you do ever return with another problem, my advice to you would be to tell the whole truth from the outset.

These boards are full of stories that 'evolve' like yours and I am not alone in looking for discrepancies in posts.

You mean you are not above trying to find fault in order to get one over on someone.

Look I was tired when I wrote the post, and I have various disabilities physical and learning difficulties that mean I don't come across as clear as I should it doesn't mean someone is lying.

Maybe you yourself should study up on certain things.

Also did you know theres a limit on what you can write as a title! I hit the limit with that title alone.
  • societys_child
    Options
    My son once worked as an engineer in the returns department of a large on-line seller, he couldn't believe the number of damaged main-boards that are allegedly sold everyday . . . no damage to the cover but the pins were all bent . . . honestly ;)
  • stanthealien
    stanthealien Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2018 at 12:00PM
    Options
    My son once worked as an engineer in the returns department of a large on-line seller, he couldn't believe the number of damaged main-boards that are allegedly sold everyday . . . no damage to the cover but the pins were all bent . . . honestly ;)

Not saying it doens't happen but in this case it was, I have had various contracts over the last few years from tech support to fixing pcs for local businesses, had pcs in that businesses report as no longer working for the physical motherboard to be snapped in half, or at least cracked in places which implies something like it was dropped, most common was spills inside pcs like coffee.

Up to a few years ago I could get boards that were dead on arrival quite often, even bought boards that people shipped in a envelope that were of course dead.

But like I said earlier it would be stupid to just damage a board to replace it, given it happened on day 1 I got it when theres a returns window for a no fuss return, then admit the error to the company so they knew exactly what to look for.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    What value does a motherboard with damaged pins have? That's all you could recover from them.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Putting aside any point of blame. If you opened a SNAD rather than a change of mind return on eBay and they accepted the return, providing you have returned it and have the tracking showing it was delivered (or attempted) then you can escalate it to eBay who will refund you*.

*If the seller is one who offers free returns with change of mind returns, then they can withhold some of the payment, but not all.

Now I am not say that is what you should do but that is the eBay system. That's how it works.
  • askmeaboutsofas
    Options
    Surely if they've disposed of it they owe you the value of the board in the condition it was returned to them, i.e. with bent pins. How much is a board with bent pins worth? I'm sure there must be a few for sale on eBay. A letter before action is certainly worth a shot, as long as the value of the broken item is more than the cost of postage. Or if you haven't already, a SNAD through eBay will almost certainly work as all it has to show is proof of delivery to the seller.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Surely if they've disposed of it they owe you the value of the board in the condition it was returned to them, i.e. with bent pins. How much is a board with bent pins worth? I'm sure there must be a few for sale on eBay. A letter before action is certainly worth a shot, as long as the value of the broken item is more than the cost of postage. Or if you haven't already, a SNAD through eBay will almost certainly work as all it has to show is proof of delivery to the seller.

A modern board with bent pins is typically virtually worthless.
    You cannot use it in a PC with the bent pins, and the pins are extremely (if not nearly impossible) to straighten out due to how thin they are, the spacing requirements for them to work, and the number in place.
    It's a job that could take several hours of very fiddly work to straighten, assuming it's not too bad (and none break) with no guarantee it'll work as you need to get every one exactly right.
    I think the only guaranteed fix is to replace the socket which typically has to be done at the factory and can cost nearly as much as the board.

The reason they started doing the pins on the board was because CPU's were frequently arriving damaged (but the pin density on CPU's was just at the limit of being able to be fixed with care*), and they knew it was going to get worse with newer designs that had more pins per inch.
    So they moved the pins to inside the socket on the motherboard because that offered them far more protection during shipping and fitting.

*Razor blade (or similar stiff but very thin metal to get alignment)), propelling pencil (slip over individual pins), time, luck and a lot of sweating and cursing. I had to do it several times for friends and I cannot imagine doing it on a motherboard, inside the confines of a socket (the "tricks" I used to help get the alignment wouldn't work).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure