Best way to save £20k?

JohnLock
JohnLock Posts: 74 Forumite
edited 7 February 2018 at 11:16AM in Savings & investments
Hi,
We have 20k in savings sitting in a Halifax every day bank account.

I'd just like to know what would be the best way he could save this (in ISA or bank account etc) to get the maximum amount of interest every year?

Thank you.

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It depends on how long he wants to keep it. If intending to buy a house at some point then a HTB or LISA should be looked at. If it will be needed in the next 10 years or so then probably not S&S.
    If he can get multiple banks account then following the savings guide at the top of the page and using interest paying current accounts and regular savers is probably the best.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • JohnLock
    JohnLock Posts: 74 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2018 at 11:29AM
    Hi mally

We basically looking for an account or ISA that will give us the highest interest rates.
    We don't need to access it - we just want to lock it away somewhere where it can accumulate at the highest rate.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you really want to get the highest interest rates you will need to open several accounts as all the good ones have restrictions on maximum balance or monthly deposit. There are several 2% to 5% accounts you could spread your money over and will take a little effort on your part. You could put it into fixed term 1 year accounts for just under 2%. If you want a single high rate easy access account they don't exist and you will have to settle for around 1.35%. Have a look at the How to Start Saving Get max interest from every penny link at the top as suggested by MallyGirl in post #2. Forget cash ISAs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure