Sharelink

Hello, I'm trying to trace shares purchased through Sharelink in about 1988 by my partner's deceased father. As far as we know he never sold the shares but we're wondering who now deals with shares bought through Sharelink?? Thanks :)

Comments

• were the shares bought as certificates, or held in a nominee account run by sharelink?

if it was certificates, then you can ignore sharelink, and (if any certificate is lost) ask the current registrar of the company the shares are in (if it still exists - or any successor company) whether he's still recorded as a shareholder.

if it was a sharelink nominee account, then a quick websearch suggests that sharelink was taken over by charles schwab in 1995, and schwab went on to sell their UK stockbroking business to barclays in 2003. so any nominee account might have ended up with barclays stockbrokers (which still exists).

either way, if the investment continued to exist, you'd expect there to be some postal communications from either the company registar or barclays stockbrokers. unless the shareholder moved house and they never had his new address.
  • were the shares bought as certificates, or held in a nominee account run by sharelink?

if it was certificates, then you can ignore sharelink, and (if any certificate is lost) ask the current registrar of the company the shares are in (if it still exists - or any successor company) whether he's still recorded as a shareholder.

if it was a sharelink nominee account, then a quick websearch suggests that sharelink was taken over by charles schwab in 1995, and schwab went on to sell their UK stockbroking business to barclays in 2003. so any nominee account might have ended up with barclays stockbrokers (which still exists).

either way, if the investment continued to exist, you'd expect there to be some postal communications from either the company registar or barclays stockbrokers. unless the shareholder moved house and they never had his new address.

Thank you very much for your reply :)

The only documents we have are 'Contract Note and Tax Invoices' so I'm unsure as to the answer to your question! Unfortunately I have absolutely no knowledge of share dealing!

I'd got as far as you and ended up working out that Barclays took over Schwab who took over Sharelink but two calls to Barclays have drawn a blank.

He passed away suddenly in 1990 so we have no idea whether any correspondence was sent to his address since he purchased the shares.

I've tried contacting Equiniti but am struggling with the fact that it's hard to find out who is the registrar for the different companies, and also when companies have been merged/taken over it's even harder!

Any further thoughts very much appreciated!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've tried contacting Equiniti but am struggling with the fact that it's hard to find out who is the registrar for the different companies, and also when companies have been merged/taken over it's even harder!

Any further thoughts very much appreciated!
    There are many resourceful and knowledgeable folk on here who will often be able to help in situations like this, but you'd obviously need to name the companies you're referring to!
  • eskbanker wrote: »
    There are many resourceful and knowledgeable folk on here who will often be able to help in situations like this, but you'd obviously need to name the companies you're referring to!

Good point :)

The companies are Hanson, Tarmac, Jaguar and someone called Raglan Property, who I've been unable to work out if they even still exist!

I've contacted Equiniti about Hanson, and also mentioned the Jaguar shares as I know they're now owned by Tata. Tarmac/Lafarge are the ones I'm not sure of.
  • I used to deal with Sharelink and it was all certificated back in those days. If you can't find the share certificates then he may have sold them anyway. However ask each company registrar if your father is listed as a shareholder. Also if he still is then post should have been coming regularly like reports and accounts and dividend cheques. If none of that is there also then he may well have sold them on.
  • I used to deal with Sharelink and it was all certificated back in those days. If you can't find the share certificates then he may have sold them anyway. However ask each company registrar if your father is listed as a shareholder. Also if he still is then post should have been coming regularly like reports and accounts and dividend cheques. If none of that is there also then he may well have sold them on.

Part of the difficulty is that he died in 1990 just two years after buying the shares, and his house was sold, so any relevant post would not have reached the family.
  • jscol
    jscol Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Did Tarmac not become Carillion ?
  • jscol
    jscol Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    In 1999 Tarmac demerged into Tarmac and Carillion.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    I thought that Lafarge and Tarmac (at least part of it) had merged, became Lafarge Tarmac before becoming Tarmac Holdings.

Is Tarmac Holdings not a subsidiary of CRH PLC along with most of the other Tarmac and Lafarge companies?
  • I've just emailed CRH Investor Relations to see if they can point me in the right direction. Same with Jaguar.
    Thanks for your help :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport