My Furry Baby's Gone

Options

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jenny-wren, donnac2558, thank you both so much. Very best wishes to your lovely furry ones; they are in the best hands if they own humans like you.

Very much appreciated, guys, thanks.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Charlie died today, aged 18 and a half. We are devastated. I can't bear it. He will never snuggle against me in bed again. Please, somebody, say something.

The Rainbows Bridge Poem

RainbowBridge.com

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm not really a cat person but tears are streaming down my face as I remember how devastating it is to lose a pet, especially that very very special one. Yes, even if you don't have favourites there is usually one animal who seems to have that special affinity with you.

In my case I had to get another dog a few months down the line because I had a pining dog.........

What can I say that isn't trivial? You have lost a very very much loved baby. I assume you had had him for many many years, and that makes it even harder. I'm sure there is a cat shaped hole in your heart.
    Remember all the wonderful times you had together, all his funny habits and look at the photos

and maybe.... some time in the future you will decide that there is some poor little homeless cat wanting a home with you.........

Take care.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • CamelLady
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Charlie died today, aged 18 and a half. We are devastated. I can't bear it. He will never snuggle against me in bed again. Please, somebody, say something.

They steal our hearts don't they and when they leave take a piece with them.
    What a beautiful age and what a lucky boy to have had you to love him all those years..

there is a lady on facebook called ashes to glass..she does some lovely things..

much love and hugs xxxxxxxxx
  • Smodlet
    Options
    sheramber, Katiehound, CamelLady, thank you all so much for your kindness and understanding. You are making me cry again but it's therapeutic, right?

If the Rainbow Bridge (which is really beautiful, thank you) means what I think it means, I wish I believed in an afterlife, I really do. If there is such a bridge, I don't think it will be too long before I see Charlie and Lisa again. I just don't have the years to give to another young, healthy cat and can't bear the thought of taking on one I know I am going to lose sooner rather than later. I also don't think I would let myself love another one the way I loved those two and you can't stint on love.

Are we not privileged, though? It is a given that, if you fall in love, sooner or later your heart will be broken. Rather that than never to fall in love.

Thank you all for being so kind and for knowing how we feel, OH and I. He was vacuuming earlier, went to move the scratching post and fell apart. He said he could not get rid of it; I asked why he should have to so it is staying.

Katiehound, yes; we had Charlie and his sister, Lisa from new. We first saw them when they were days old: Tiny, little things with the tips of their ears still folded over, all a uniform pale grey in colour. You could not tell what they were going to look like. Charlie turned out to be a beautiful grey and white tabby with black stripes, a white bib, white mittens on his front paws and white gauntlets on his hind ones, with gingery, coppery bits around his face and a lovely spotted bengal sort of stripe down his white belly.

Lisa looked like no other cat I have ever seen until I saw a picture of snow chocolate-spotted Bengal. She was not one, she was a moggie but I think Daddy might have been a special breed. We have a picture of their Mom, Abby, sitting between a large, cream-and-caramel tabby and a large, black-and-white cat... The other two in the litter were black and white. Abby lived life to the full. ;) We went to see them every other evening, must have driven Abby's humans nuts. We counted the days until they were eight weeks old, by which time they knew us so we carried them home in our arms (all of twenty-five yards on a very quiet, little street) I carried Charlie and OH, Lisa. She was a Daddy's girl, loved him to bits. Maybe it was a kind of impression, do you think? Like when geese hatch?

Lisa ruled the roost; she ganged up with this big, black, not-too-bright cat we already had, Montly, and bullied Charlie. He would retreat to the top of a wardrobe to sleep to get some peace from them. Lisa was too small and Montly too fat and lazy to jump that high. That was the only time he would walk away from a fight. He would take Montly on from the very start, although he towered over Charlie. Every year, Charlie ended up at the vet's because he had got into a scrap with another cat but he was lovely to humans.

When the carpet fitting guy came to measure up and failed to fuss Charlie quickly enough, Charlie used his leg as a scratching post to get his attention! :o The guy was very nice about it, being a dog and cat person himself.

I have probably sent you all to sleep by now so will stop but thank you all so much. It does help to remember the good times when you can talk about them. Thanks, you lovely people.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. He will be forever with you in your memory. That love will never go.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Thank you, pearl123.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 5 February 2018 at 8:08PM
    Options
    I understand.

Five years ago this week I lost my Rufus - not sure of his exact age but he'd lived with me over 18 years after turning up on my doorstep as an undernourished young cat one November morning. (I always loved that he chose us.) He was my constant companion, knew whenever I was pregnant before I did and always knew when I was ill or feeling down.

He became quite elderly, a bit deaf, his eyesight wasn't what it had been, he developed some arthritis and his kidney function wasn't great but he was happy and eating well.
    The vet felt 'a large mass' in his tummy when I took him for his annual vaccinations in the January. Although he still seemed fine at that point, he deteriorated quite quickly and one day a few weeks later he looked at me and I just knew it was time. It broke my heart.
    I buried him in my back garden in his favourite sunny spot, marked the place with a large stone/small rock and planted a hebe like the one in my front garden that he loved to sleep under. I still talk to him whenever I'm out in the garden. I couldn't ever move because it'd mean leaving him.

For several months I regularly used to think that I saw him out the corner of my eye, curled up on the sofa or wandering around.

I made a photobook containing all my favourite photos of him, which really helped me. Now when I think about him I can remember him and feel the love and joy he brought me. I still miss him but not with the same grief that I felt at the time.

It will get easier, but it will take time. And one day, I hope, you will think of Charlie and remember the love and not just the loss, just as I do with Rufus.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    So sorry to hear your sad news. I do feel for you right now and I have tears.

I lost one of my old ladies last year. Died suddenly, but peacefully in her sleep in her favourite place and I have a huge amount of comfort that she didn't suffer and had been fine up to that point and no signs of illness. I still miss her dreadfully.

Her sister was diagnosed with kidney problems in August last year. She seems fine at the moment but I know that she could go down very quickly so I am relishing the time I have with her at the moment. She's going to be 18 later this year so she's had a good life but I know time is precious.

Both were rescues, sisters from the same litter, had a bad start in life and were just over a year old when I adopted them. I know that I will eventually adopt another cat or two but it will be a while until I do.

My mum lost her 20 year old rescue cat a couple of years ago. She said she would never get another cat as she had developed a special bond with her cat. Mum is in her 80s and eventually adopted an older cat with a lot of health problems. He was the most overlooked cat at the rescue centre and had been there months. She adores him now and wouldn't be without him. We don't know his age but he is old but loves his home and my mum.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • doodle-bug_2
    Options
    So very sorry... I lost one of mine (well, he was a stray that visited daily!) a few days before Christmas, so know what you are going through. Sounds like he had an incredible life with you - he was a very lucky cat. Thinking of you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure