Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 4th Feb 18, 10:10 PM
    • 3,024Posts
    • 6,078Thanks
    Smodlet
    My Furry Baby's Gone
    • 4th Feb 18, 10:10 PM
    My Furry Baby's Gone 4th Feb 18 at 10:10 PM
    Charlie died today, aged 18 and a half. We are devastated. I can't bear it. He will never snuggle against me in bed again. Please, somebody, say something.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
Page 2
    • doodle-bug
    • By doodle-bug 5th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    doodle-bug
    So very sorry... I lost one of mine (well, he was a stray that visited daily!) a few days before Christmas, so know what you are going through. Sounds like he had an incredible life with you - he was a very lucky cat. Thinking of you.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 5th Feb 18, 10:01 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    jackieblack, Deep In Debt, doodle-bug, thank you all so much for your kind words and for sharing your furry tales with me. I was in two minds about posting but have been warmed and humbled by everyone's kindness. It really is appreciated, you guys. Thank you.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • KiKi
    • By KiKi 5th Feb 18, 10:34 PM
    • 4,957 Posts
    • 8,043 Thanks
    KiKi
    I'm so, so sorry to hear about your loss. Last September I noticed my beautiful 16 year old cat was having mini-strokes. She was diagnosed with a tumour near/on her heart, and stage 4 kidney disease. They couldn't operate on the tumour because of its location, and her routine blood tests in June hadn't shown any problems. I was distraught, but convinced with meds and lots of care I could keep her going, because in the June she was so unbelievably healthy. In fact, looking back now, she was a completely different cat even two months earlier.

At the end of October her quality of life had deteriorated to the point where all she could do was lie down, eat a bit, and use her litter tray. I couldn't bear to let her suffer and I chose to put her down. She could probably have lived for a couple of months longer, but she was clearly unhappy, and it was the last good thing I could do for her. I was devastated, and still am. And I feel so terribly guilty for taking her life, even though I know she was unhappy and in pain.

Her sister is still around, and still super healthy (and plays like a kitten!), but I miss M desperately. I had her cremated and her ashes sent back to me. I talk to them! #tragic I don't know if I'll be able to do it again once her sister is no longer here. I kinda hope a needy cat will then turn up on my doorstep, too!

The one thing that someone said to me that really helped was "I'm so glad she's got you caring for her" - because not every owner loves their pets as much as we do. So: he was lucky to have you. It might take a long time to get over it but that's okay. 18 years is a long time to love.
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 5th Feb 18, 10:38 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Thank you, Kiki, what a lovely post. I am so very sorry for your loss too. Your tiggers were and are lucky to have such a wonderful human.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Feb 18, 7:12 AM
    • 20,043 Posts
    • 53,767 Thanks
    Pollycat
    My last boy died 6 years ago next Monday, too young at only 12 years old but he'd had a hard life.
    My boss had a cat who was 18 and looked like a kitten, she never went out.
    My bruiser was out as soon as the birds began to sing, catching rats and voles and fighting anything that crossed his path (including a Stagecoach bus ).
    I said his cat was like the Queen Mum, pampered and protected, and mine was like Oliver Reed, carousing through life and living it to the full.

I have his photo as my screen saver, sat on the top of the shed surveying his kingdom. I talk to him often.
    Charlie will always be with you.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 6th Feb 18, 7:21 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 3,524 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    So sorry Smodlet. I know how heartbreaking it is to lose much loved pet. Over 40 years we always had a cat or cats, once up to 3 cats, one of whom had just turned up and adopted us. They gave us so much pleasure, and were all deeply missed when they died.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Feb 18, 9:36 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    ScarletRibbons, thank you so much for your kind words. They mean a lot.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Feb 18, 9:38 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    My last boy died 6 years ago next Monday, too young at only 12 years old but he'd had a hard life.
    My boss had a cat who was 18 and looked like a kitten, she never went out.
    My bruiser was out as soon as the birds began to sing, catching rats and voles and fighting anything that crossed his path (including a Stagecoach bus ).
    I said his cat was like the Queen Mum, pampered and protected, and mine was like Oliver Reed, carousing through life and living it to the full.

I have his photo as my screen saver, sat on the top of the shed surveying his kingdom. I talk to him often.
    Charlie will always be with you.
    Originally posted by Pollycat

That is a brilliant tail, Pollycat ; thank you for sharing. Lisa is the wallpaper on the one and only computer, hiding in a clump of daffs having just espied a bird. It is OH's favourite pic he ever took of her. I asked him if he could make it alternate with one of Charlie but neither of us has a clue how to do that so my three fave pics of him are on the desktop. There is one of him on the garden waste bin looking like a king on a throne, graciously holding court for his humans. Another of him lolling in front of the keyboard, unequivocally saying, "you will use this machine when and only when I feel like moving."

Please don't be embarrassed about talking to your tiggers! We have never stopped talking to Lisa, who died four years and three weeks before her brother. I know what you mean about feeling cheated when they die relatively young, she was only 14.

Please keep the stories coming, everyone, they are really helping at the moment. OH has (unusually) read some of them and passes on his thanks to you all.
    • SuperMoose
    • By SuperMoose 6th Feb 18, 11:23 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    SuperMoose
    In memory of all my and everyone here's gone but never forgotten furbabies.
    You are so very loved and missed

• Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 6th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    That had me in floods, SuperMoose.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 7th Feb 18, 8:44 AM
    • 20,043 Posts
    • 53,767 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Smodlet
    I hope this doesn't upset you too much but I posted this back in August 2011 on a thread about when is the right time to let a pet go.
    It's about the cat we had before Murphy, his name was Scamp and he was loved by everyone who came into contact with him (unlike Murphy who was a feline sociopath who loved me, tolerated the OH and refused to accept the existence of anybody else).

We still have the same neighbour and she still remembers Scamp (dead these past 18 years) as well as Murphy, who she referred to as 'The Boss'.

You'll always remember Charlie with love and affection.
    Commiserations to all those who've recently had the very distressing experience of losing a beloved pet.

My 'old boy', went from being a healthy cat to a bag of bones in less than 2 weeks.
    The vet said his kidneys had failed and there was nothing we could do but take him home and love him.

He lost interest in his normal food so we fed him on bits of king prawn (his favourite).

He sort-of staggered into his water bowl one day and stood with his paws wet through and looked up at me said his look clearly said 'I don't know about you but I've had enough of this'.

It was Halloween 2000 and we told our next door neighbour what we'd decided when she 'trick-or-treated' with her youngest and she told all the neighbours who all called round to say 'Goodbye' to him.
    It really was the saddest and most emotional night of my life.

The next day, we took him to the vet who said 'I think he'll go a few more days' but I said 'no, he's ready and so are we - it has to be now'.

Almost 11 years on, I still miss him.

OP, I hope you 'know' when it's time and do the right thing.

Best wishes.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Feb 18, 9:07 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    OMG, Pollycat, thank you for posting that. Yes, a "bag of bones" is exactly how he was, poor little mite and, at the end, they go downhill so fast, don't they? With hindsight, we should have let him go last Friday. I have been beating myself up with guilt but at least we got the vet to come to him on the Sunday evening (she has children so could not come earlier) so his last moments were peaceful. I am certain, had we taken Charlie to her, he would not have survived the journey. I remember how distressed Lisa was on her final visit to the vet and vowed I would not do that again.

Thank you all again, so much, for being so lovely.
    • mentaljessie
    • By mentaljessie 7th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    mentaljessie
    I lost my big kitten 24-11-16 and my big tom 30-11-17. My Jessica and Rocky meant the world to me and whilst not moneysaving Rocky was named as the 3K kitten, as he cost us this much to explore his epilepsy prognosis.

In the prior 4 years to our kittens demise we spent on average 400 on meds and treatment for our kits per month. They were loved profoundly, private funerals were provided. Subsequently we have semi fostered a five week old kitten from the RSPCA and miss naughty no nippies has been a welcome addition.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Feb 18, 10:31 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Thanks, mentaljessie. What lovely names. Best of luck with Miss Naughty No Nippies.
    • SuperMoose
    • By SuperMoose 10th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    SuperMoose
    Hello

Just to say hope you and Mr Smodlet are as OK as you can be x

I found this and thought it was lovely - especially the cat's expression

• Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 10th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    SuperMoose, that is so true, thank you for that and for thinking of us; it is much appreciated.
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 11th Feb 18, 3:07 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    helcat26
    I am really sorry to hear about Charlie.
    At least he was lucky enough to have a long life in a good home with people who loved him
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 11th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Thank you, helcat26.
    • Daydreambeliever
    • By Daydreambeliever 13th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Daydreambeliever
    Hello, I am so sorry for the loss of your furbaby Charlie, I truly am. I had to make the heartbreaking decision to let my eldest furbaby go on the 16th January, he was 17 and a half, I know exactly the pain and guilt you feel. My boy had thyroid and kidney problems. I've struggled so much with the guilt of letting him go, and then the guilt that I should have let him go sooner, did I let him suffer on too long. I have one furbaby left, snuggled beside me here. She's 15 and just after Christmas was diagnosed with advanced kidney disease, so I know I face losing her but for now she seems to have picked up. It's so hard, they really do take over your heart. Sending you love and hugs, Charlie had an amazing life with you and wouldn't want you feeling sad and guilty. Take care xx
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 14th Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 6,078 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Deeply sorry for your loss! Remember that none of us come to live forever and its all about what we do and experience while we are alive. I'm sure Charlie was lucky to have you as his owner and loved every moment he spent with you. Be happy that you gave him the best when he was with you and he was as happy as he could be while with you!
    Originally posted by Abi_J

Thank you, Abi_J, I hope you are right. I still feel as if I let him down.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,732Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin