Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    • 650Posts
    • 3,042Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    My journey to a debt free life
    • 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    My journey to a debt free life 31st Jan 18 at 12:15 AM
    Well Iíve been reading everyoneís diaryís and thought itís such a good idea I would start one myself,Iím hoping to use it as a way to record my journey to freedom from debt and also to have somewhere to come and just offload stuff
    My financial meltdown happened two weeks ago when I realised I just canít afford to pay my debts off properly,Iím sinking under the strain and jut adding more and more onto the total because itís just not sustainable. I came here and was given some brilliant advice then I went away and procrastinated for a week while pooping myself some more about what I am about to do I finally got my !!!! in gear this week and started the ball rollin by registering on the SC site and partially filling out the budget form,I then came unstuck because some of the info wasnít to hand,Iíve now sorted that and can proceed with finishing the budget form which I am doing tomorrow,by the end of this week I want to have contacted SC and set the ball rolling to set up a DMP.
    I then had problems with my online account for one of my creditors but I sorted that out this morning whilst also finding out exactly what I owe them,it was actually not as much as I thought but still too much so swings and roundabouts 😊 actually sorting that out today took me ten minutes but itís taken me days to do it,I just get overwhelmed and put stuff off then before I know it another week has gone by and nothing has changed. Still Iíve done what I set out to do today and tomorrow is budget form day then I will see where I go from there
    In other news I changed my phone provider on Saturday so now have a sim only deal for £9 a month instead of £20.02 plus I cancelled the insurance at £6 a month,Iíve also paid for the phone now too so there is a small saving,two weeks ago my phone contract was costing me £35 so Iím quite pleased with this new deal.
    Ok I think thatís enough waffling for one day and I need to try and get some sleep,letís see what tomorrow brings
Page 25
    • Gilli1976
    • By Gilli1976 6th Oct 18, 11:21 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gilli1976
    Hi. Sorry to ask but how do I start my first post on here? Ty x
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 10th Oct 18, 11:10 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Well my lack of motivation this month has cost me and I've had to transfer £100 from my emergency fund into my bank account to last me until payday,all my bills bar my mobile are paid so this is for food and any meds I have to pay for,Im not going riding this month as I just can't afford it,I'm spending my time either working,babysitting or crafting and I'm trying really hard not to panic
    I'm really tired at the moment as work is busy but I just have to get Friday at work over with and I've got a week off with a trip to work on Wednesday for a study day,I'm not dealing with my finances until Monday when I'm off and have time to think,I'm going to redo my budget and call SC to tell them I need to reduce my payments as the current payment is just not feasible at the moment
    I know paying off my debt is a high priority but I also need to live and I also need to save money in case anything major goes wrong,I'm giving myself another month and if I can't make it work I am increasing my hours back up to what they were before
    It's not good me working less if I'm getting so stressed out that I'm worried all the time,I just need a bit of breathing space to sort things out then hopefully will be back on track
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,306 Total Now Owed = £16,324
    Emergency Fund = £250 Xmas savings = £380
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Oct 18, 11:19 PM
    • 2,001 Posts
    • 11,496 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Originally posted by Gilli1976
    At the top of this page is a link to the board, (Main site > Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Debt Free Diaries) so if you click on there it will take you to a page with a 'New thread' button which I think is in pink at the upper left. Click on that and you have a ready-made box to write in (don't forget to fill in the title of your thread too)
    Hope that helps!
    MFW #30 Paid off £3,200.24/£3000 as of 5/10/18
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th Oct 18, 4:34 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    At the top of this page is a link to the board, (Main site > Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Debt Free Diaries) so if you click on there it will take you to a page with a 'New thread' button which I think is in pink at the upper left. Click on that and you have a ready-made box to write in (don't forget to fill in the title of your thread too)
    Hope that helps!
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Thought I was going bonkers then, I was thinking why is she giving me instructions on how to post,then noticed the post asking for instructions
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £1,306 Total Now Owed = £16,324
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th Oct 18, 4:35 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Originally posted by Gilli1976
    Hi sorry I didn't see your post,I hope,you don't think I was ignoring you,Cherry fudge has answered so hopefully we will see you posting soon x
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th Oct 18, 4:52 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    It's a miserable soggy day here today,I had to go out this morning to post some bits for DD so got a bit wet.i have spent the rest of the day at home pottering about,I've just cleaned the chickens out and topped up their food and water so I won't have to do it in the morning before work
    I've taken the dog out even though she wasn't keen in the rain,she hates wearing her coat but also hates getting wet so rock and a hard place for her
    I've just chopped up some carrots,swede, potatoes and an onion to roast for tea to have with green beans and a nut roast,I'm hoping to have roast parsnip as well but they aren't mine so I have to wait for DD to text me to say if I can pinch one,I can't remember if they are earmarked for a recipe or not
    We have been watching bake off over the last few weeks and this week because the theme was vegan baking I had a go at making vegan chocolate brownies for us to munch on while watching
    ,I've never made brownies before and I was quite impressed with how they turned out,they don't keep well though as they dried out a bit but that was soon resolved by bunging one in the microwave......soooooo yummy
    This weeks crafting acitivitis have included knitting a small throw to go on one of the beds in the dolls house and sewing some more of my cross stitch,I was looking for something in my craft desk the other day and found some Xmas decoration kits I bought ages ago and still haven't made so I will be doing those soon too,now the weather is getting more autumnal I feel more like being indoors crafting instead of outside in the wind and rain
    Just keep swimming
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 12th Oct 18, 7:21 PM
    • 4,318 Posts
    • 22,869 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Lovely to hear you are using up your craft stuff, OBL. I've really enjoyed making inroads into my big yarn stash over the last couple of years. My current project is a big chunky pair of hiking socks for mr f. Even though I'm using a mixture of leftover aran & chunky, they seem to be coming out nicely. He likes them, anyway.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £358
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Oct 18, 8:33 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Lovely to hear you are using up your craft stuff, OBL. I've really enjoyed making inroads into my big yarn stash over the last couple of years. My current project is a big chunky pair of hiking socks for mr f. Even though I'm using a mixture of leftover aran & chunky, they seem to be coming out nicely. He likes them, anyway.
    F x
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    I'm liking the sound of those socks,I have a yearning to knit myself some socks but I'm waiting for my DD to show me the shaping for the heels and toes ,ive never knitted socks before so havent a clue what I'm doing,I'm trying really hard not to buy any craft goodies until I have finished everything I already have ........it's really hard though
    Just keep swimming
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 12th Oct 18, 8:40 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 14,112 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Another one here got craft things out. I am doing g a few Christmas cards for the family. It is something to keep me occupied on the dark nights.
    CC1 £3609
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Oct 18, 8:46 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Today got off to a dodgy start when I nearly overslept,luckily DD was awake and woke me up.i totally forgot to set my alarm,I had an awful nightmare last night so didn't get a good nights sleep, I tend to have nightmares if I'm stressed out so this is not a good sign,Im already worrying about going to bed tonight in case it happens again,it was so horrible I woke myself up by crying out and slapping at my duvet,I was so relieved when i woke up
    I also have a patch of excema that has flared up on the inside of my elbow,again this is a stress response, I need to chill out and try to stop thinking too much about money and the lack of it,I can't sort anything out until Monday anyway so there's no point,I wish my body would realise this though
    Work was busy today but I was on an early so got to finish at 3.30,it was lovely leaving early knowing that I now have a week off
    The weather here today has been awful,just pouring with rain and so windy,outr nearest seafront is floodedand one of the coastal train lines was battered by the sea all day,we were going to take the dog to the beach this weekend but we won't be able to now,I was looking forward to it as we can't take her on there in the summer becasue dogs are banned,this is the first week we can go back so it's a shame for her as she loves it,never mind we have got all of winter to go to the beach so will try and make up for it later
    Tonight I was going to do some sewing but I'm too tired and when I'm tired I make mistakes so I'm going to be patient and wait until tomorrow,I'm hoping to make lots of progress with it this week especially if the weather stays like this
    I love those rainy windy days where you don't have to go out and can stay in in the warm doing something creative
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Oct 18, 8:50 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Another one here got craft things out. I am doing g a few Christmas cards for the family. It is something to keep me occupied on the dark nights.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    I love dark nights spent indoors doing crafty things,I have some felt Xmas decorations that need to be made so I might make a start on them this week as well,they won't take very long and they have been in my desk drawer for ages
    I'm also thinking I work my way through my craft stash it will stop me spending money on things I don't need hopefully
    Just keep swimming
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 13th Oct 18, 12:23 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 3,015 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Another one here thinking about crafting... I need to recover the dining chairs and make roman blinds for the kitchen window and door. Got everything I need except the 'oomph'

Hope you have a better nights sleep tonight. X
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Oct 18, 4:15 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Another one here thinking about crafting... I need to recover the dining chairs and make roman blinds for the kitchen window and door. Got everything I need except the 'oomph'

Hope you have a better nights sleep tonight. X
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    Thanks Crystal,I slept really well last night
    I know what you mean about having everything but the oomph, I still haven't picked my sewing up,I'm thinking tomorrow now as I'm at home all day and haven't got anything planned,once I start I will be ok but it's getting started that's the problem
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Oct 18, 4:24 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    What a weird day weather wise,it's been grey and miserable looking as well as windy but it's really really warm,even the wind is warm,I went out with no coat on today as I just didn't need it, ''twas lovely though
    Myself and DD had a trip into town today becasue she needed a dress and some shoes for a wedding reception she is going to tonight,we were lucky and found a dress in the first shop we went in and shoes in the second,this never happens,we usually walk round all day and then go home empty handed,she bought a lovely dress that also fits me,so I will be able to borrow it for our Xmas party if I end up going
    I'm now home and chilling out with a coffee for a bit before I take the dog out for her evening walk,then it's home shower and pjs on,I have a bar of fruit and nut to keep me company and the house to myself later
    I still haven't picked up my sewing as I'm too tired but I am determined to make a start on it tomorrow,I might do some later if I wake up a bit but I don't want to mess it up and end up having to unpick my work
    I also have a new book to read it's the follow on from The Bear and The Nighingale,it's called The Girl In The Tower,it's new but DD managed to find it in our local library so now we get to read it for free which is a massive bonus
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Oct 18, 9:32 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I've just been catching up on the diaries that I'm subscribed to tonight and I'm feeling inspired again,so I am going to try to aim for some NSDs again and try to remember to record them here,I think also from next payday when I do my budget I will record all my spending here as well,I have tried to keep receipts and totally spends every month but I always lose them or forget to get one,so I think recording spends as they happen might be the way forward,hopefully this will make me more mindful of how much I'm spending and what I'm spending on
    I've really lost the plot over the last couple of months and have not been paying as much attention as I should,but I'm determined to get back to business and crack on with being frugal
    I have to say thanks to Cumbria lass as it's her diary that has inspired me this evening
    Just keep swimming
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 14th Oct 18, 4:27 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 3,015 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Glad you've got your positive head back on, and I'm sure it won't take you long to get yourself back on track. ((hugs))
    I Believe.....
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 14th Oct 18, 4:44 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Glad you've got your positive head back on, and I'm sure it won't take you long to get yourself back on track. ((hugs))
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    I think I just need to keep coming here and stay focused,I'm looking at my budget tomorrow to see if I can make any adjustments that will allow me to stay on my reduced hours,I have until the end of the month to make up my mind
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 14th Oct 18, 5:07 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 3,042 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Another wet windy day here,I was going to say miserable but it's not actually,I'm at home in the warm watching the weather through the window knowing I don't have to go out if I don't want to

I didn't get to bed until really late last night and then woke up at 7.30 with a really painful throbbing arm,it plays up every so often and is really horrible,it's a nerve causing the problem, this mornings cure was to let my arm hang out the side of the bed,gravity seems to help apparently,it worked because I went back to sleep until 10.45 am sprayed it with deep heat and that seems to have stopped it for now
    Today's plans were to clean the house and change my bed,so I've polished and hoovered everywhere,cleaned the bathroom and washed my bedding,I've just got to remake my bed and I'm all done

I've got a load of washing to put on the airer and a bit of ironing to finish then I'm all caught up.
    I'm on holiday this week so I'm hoping to chill out a bit over the week,I have things to do but I'm not busy, although I'm on holiday I have to go to work on Wednesday for a training day,it's for basic life support and I don't want to miss it so agreed to do it during my holiday,I've already claimed the time back

This afternoon I've finally got on with some sewing, a few years ago I bought a different frame to put my embroidery on while I was stitching it,I was at a craft show and this frame looked amazing as all you did to hold the material in place was to use some clips,the woman told me I would never use my old frame again, well she was wrong....I hate the new frame and wish I hadn't bought it,my old frame is wooden and has a stand it's a bit of a faff to put together but once it's up it's ok,you also have to sew your embroidery onto the frame to hold it in place which I found a faff,I liked the clip idea but they mark the fabric really badly and I have to take the material off the frame every time I've finished because if you don't you can't get the marks out,well today I went back to my old frame and it's soooo much better,I will stick to using that one now I think as I can leave the sewing on the frame and just pick it up as and when I want, the new frame was yet another thing I bought on my flexible friend that I didn't actually need,Im not sure what I will do with it yet,it will probably end up at the charity shop
    While I was sewing I was thinking about how far I've come on my debt free journey and you know what I think so far I'm doing ok,I haven't used a credit card for 8 months and I haven't run up any more debt ,I have paid off a good amount and just need to keep focused
    My problem at the moment is I don't live in the moment,I live in the past and the future so I'm either regretting all the money I wasted or I'm worrying about the future and how I'm going to manage,then I had an enlightening moment,the future arrived today and I'm still here,nothing bad has happened today and nothing bad happened yesterday,I just need to take it one day at a time
    Today has also been the first of my NSDs
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 14-10-2018 at 5:21 PM.
    Just keep swimming
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 14th Oct 18, 5:38 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 3,015 Thanks
    Chrystal
    It might be worthwhile trying to sell some of your stuff on 3Bay OBL. Surprising how much money can be made, especially at this time of year, and you may as well try and recoup some of the money you spent. X
    I Believe.....
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Oct 18, 6:56 PM
    • 4,318 Posts
    • 22,869 Thanks
    foxgloves
    I think that's a really insightful post, OBL, about regretting past wastefulness with money & worrying about future solvency. Like you, I came to my budget senses later in life & I have to try & accept the wasteful decades. We can't change them, so we can only learn from them & move on. I suppose one way of looking at it might be to think what our future security would look like if we hadn't had our LBMs at all. A scary thought, since our income has halved since then due to public sector 'austerity' cuts.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £358
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,892Posts Today

9,276Users online

Martin's Twitter