My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well can I say it certainly pays to pay attention to your finances ,I got my actual pay slip yesterday when I got back to work and normally I just chuck it in my bag to be found unopened months later. My new money saving self decided I needed to check it to make sure it was correct and they had taken a double payment for my bus pass this month:eek: so that was £96 instead of £47 and something pence,I phoned payroll and he thinks they did it last month too,I will have to check because I didn't notice it last month,they are going to refund me but I won't get it until next month wages which is a bit naughty but I didn't think to argue at the time
    I was also looking at the site today and came across a bit about claiming expenses for washing my uniform,apparently I can get tax relief because I have to wear a uniform and wash it myself on further reading it seems nurses get £12 a year allowance for shoes and tax relief on RCN payments,so I'm going to get right on that and claim,it can be backdated for 4 years too :T
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well can I say it certainly pays to pay attention to your finances ,I got my actual pay slip yesterday when I got back to work and normally I just chuck it in my bag to be found unopened months later. My new money saving self decided I needed to check it to make sure it was correct and they had taken a double payment for my bus pass this month:eek: so that was £96 instead of £47 and something pence,I phoned payroll and he thinks they did it last month too,I will have to check because I didn't notice it last month,they are going to refund me but I won't get it until next month wages which is a bit naughty but I didn't think to argue at the time
    I was also looking at the site today and came across a bit about claiming expenses for washing my uniform,apparently I can get tax relief because I have to wear a uniform and wash it myself on further reading it seems nurses get £12 a year allowance for shoes and tax relief on RCN payments,so I'm going to get right on that and claim,it can be backdated for 4 years too :T

Lucky you noticed about the bus pass, hopefully sorted soon. Brilliant news that you found out about the extra tax relief as well...as My T says....Every Little Helps...:)
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Lucky you noticed about the bus pass, hopefully sorted soon. Brilliant news that you found out about the extra tax relief as well...as My T says....Every Little Helps...:)
    Yes it was,I'm learning that paying attention pays off :j
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Today turned out to be a lazy day,I was supposed to go riding but cancelled yesterday because I wasn't feeling too good, one of the symptoms of Fibromyalgia that I get is Neuralgia in the right side of my face,I was in agony all day at work yesterday but managed my whole shift,when I got in I had a hot shower as the heat on my head sometimes get rid of the pain then I went to bed,I was in bed by 9pm and didn't wake up until 10 am this morning,my face is still a bit painful but not as bad as yesterday, I was feeling quite tired though so had a relaxing day for a change
    I finished reading the Debt Free Roll Of Honour today and found it really inspiring,I also found a couple more diaries to read of people who have cleared their debts as I find it helpful to read about others experiences, one of them tries to have and records regular NSDs so I think I will try this as well
    I'm off to bed soon because I have work in the morning so need to try and get some sleep,my DD is out on a night out though so will probably wake me up later
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Yet another day yesterday with the headache from hell, I dosed myself up with painkillers and went to work anyway,I managed to last until 6 pm then had to leave because I couldnt stand it anymore,the bonus was I had a NSD,there is a Smiths in the hospital where I work and I very nearly went in on the way out to buy some chocolate but I made myself walk past,it was funny I was heading into the shop before I even realised what I was doing it's such a habit,but I resisted so saved money and my waistline

This morning we had to get up early to take DD to see a house she is moving into for 7 weeks while she does a uni placement it's in a town about two hours away and too far to travel to on public transport so she has rented a room,it's a really nice house and the landlady seems really nice and chatty too. We were very naughty and went to Maccy Ds for pancakes for breakfast so I spent money and broke my diet:eek:
    When we got back I went and met my mum for lunch and had a mooch round town,I didn't buy anything though,then I came home and sat down with a coffee for a bit,the dog then had to have an unscheduled bath because DDs boyfriend took her out for a walk and she rolled in something smelly,she is a proper dog,she rolls in smelly stuff if she gets the chance,hunts small animals and would kill them if given the opportunity and generally behaves in a proper doggy fashion, I dont let her off the lead much because of her chase and kill instinct but he does and then she goes and rolls in all sorts of stinky things, she loves fox poo and it's the worst thing to try and wash off,the smell lasts for weeks even if she has a bath,I had a nice relaxing evening planned that did not include bathing the dog,I had to chase her round the house first as she hates it:rotfl:
  • arsenalbarnie
    Options
    Hi OBL you're doing great, I love your diary keep up the good work and well done for checking your payslip. Happy Easter. Re the fox poo rubbing tomato ketchup on them takes the smell away then shampoo off. So all you can smell is ketchup lol. My yellow lab loves to eat the poo but occasionally loves a good roll in it. :p
    Total weight lost 6.5/73lbs starting yet again. Afds August 10/15. /8 Sept.
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Hi OBL you're doing great, I love your diary keep up the good work and well done for checking your payslip. Happy Easter. Re the fox poo rubbing tomato ketchup on them takes the smell away then shampoo off. So all you can smell is ketchup lol. My yellow lab loves to eat the poo but occasionally loves a good roll in it. :p
    Awww thanks,it's nice to know someone is appreciating my ramblings, I did not know about the tomato ketchup,I will try that next time,it truely is an awful smell isn't it,shes quite partial to a bit of chicken poop too but only to eat and people wonder why I don't let her lick my face:eek:
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I forgot to write about this yesterday but for our second coffee of the day my mum took me into John Lewis,while in there I had a look in the haberdashery dept for some needle threaders,I did get some but they were much more expensive than I would pay...£1.40 for two when I get them for 22p each in the craft shop at the other end of town,I,would have left them but mum insisted on buying them for me as she thought that was cheap:eek: anyway while queueing at the till I noticed a display of designer kitchen wear there was a bread basket for :eek:£75:eek: who the hell buys these things,there was also an egg cup for £27 even pre LBM I wouldn't not pay that much money out for a bread basket, it was only a woven willow type thing and I get paying for handcrafted products but this looked mass produced,people are fools if they are buying this stuff
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Today has been a good day,I had a lovely lie in this morning then a leisurely breakfast and a read of my magazine that my mum treated me to yesterday,I haven't bought a single magazine since embarking on this journey but my mum buys me a couple of the monthlies every month so I do still get my fix,I found that I had so many magazines at one point I just couldn't read them,I would buy them because of the anticipation of what was inside but then they would just pile up on the floor waiting to be read now I don't buy them any more I am enjoying the ones I do get much more,she also gives me the ones she buys for herself when she has finished with them so I now have a couple of gardening mags to read too
    I took the dog for a lovely walk round the local lanes this morning and she managed not to roll in anything stinky today thank god
    I also had to clean the chickens out today so got that done and while I was out there I decided to make a start on clearing the garden up ready for the nice weather we are definitely going to be getting soon:j.I have really neglected the garden over the winter as I've not been feeling great,my garden is surrounded by deciduous trees so every autumn I have lots of leaves to sweep up I normally find this quite therapeutic and they all get collected and made into leafmould for the garden,this year I just didn't have the energy so I swept them all down into my patio into a big pile for the chickens to dig about in,after a couple of weeks they are broken down with all the scratching and covered in chicken poop, this then normally goes into a compost bin for the garden,but this year I left them on the patio so it was a mess out there,this afternoon I have been out and cleared them all up and put them on my borders around the garden so they don't get wasted,they had broken down quite nicely but have left a lot of mud behind,I need some very heavy rain now to wash the mud off the patio if not I'm going to have to go out and do it myself
    The garden is starting to look better already just by tidying up the patio,there was some rubbish out there too which I have got rid of so altogether a pretty productive day
    I'm now sitting down with a cup of tea and am going to have a mooch around on here for a bit
    Today has also been a NSD so Im pretty happy about that too,I need to check my bank as well to make sure all is running smoothly so will do that later :)
  • milann
    milann Posts: 10,614 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just been reading your diary - sounds like things are coming together nicely:T
    January spends - £587.58
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure