Car Hire - £700 for a windscreen?! .

Options
Saver92
Saver92 Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 27 January 2018 at 8:56PM in Flights, currency & car hire
Hi all,

I have just come back from a holiday in Iceland which was great - except the Car Hire! (Green Motion/Iceland4x4 at Keflavik)

I hired a car and followed advice to get my own insurance policy to cover any excess.

On picking up the car I did a check (did not take photo's) and despite the company not noticing a huge dint in the door I agreed with the amount of damage on the vehicle. The Company took a £2000 deposit to cover any damages for the three day hire period which would be reimbursed on return.

On returning the vehicle to the company earlier today they have some how spotted a small chip in the corner of the windscreen (less than 1mm in size) which i'm pretty sure was there before due to how efficient he was in finding the defect. Anyway, after a long debate I was given little choice other than to pay for a new windscreen. This was not a problem as I had insurance which would cover this however I did question £700 for a new windscreen?!

When I was handed the paperwork I did not get chance to look over this correctly as my flight was due anytime which I'm sure is a benefit for them as you are pressured into signing the paperwork or risk missing your flight. I made my way to the airport and looked through the paperwork when I got home.

You can imagine in addition to this I was shocked when I noticed the company had given me an invoice from 17/10/2017 addressed to a different person, for the same amount stating the full amount had already been paid on the very same car, for the very same damage - A chipped windscreen. I also noticed that the invoice is addressed to the Reykjavik branch whereas we hired the car at the Keflavik branch. None of the paperwork I have been given is valid.

Having researched this a little further on sites such as Trip Advisor and others it appears the company in question is well known to spot damages and charge for them even when they have been proved to be there before.

I am now a little stuck - I have an invoice in the name of a male who I am not - so therefore the insurance will not pay out for until the document is amended however Green Motion are not answering my calls.

The money has already been taken from my account so I can not cancel this.

Having called the company the phone number they gave me on the day was incorrect and the one number I did get through to was more than useless and directed me to another number.

If I am honest I am pretty sure this damage was already there but have no way to prove otherwise. I am content that my insurance cover will pay for the damage however my irritation is that they have given me a fraudulent invoice, I do not want this to happen to anybody else so I will persevere until I have proof of the repair.

Does anyone have any insight on the best way to go for this please?

In short - I have been charged £700 for an invoice which has been issued to me which was not mine.

For info - I paid this via Credit Card and they are going to help me dispute this claim.

Thanks,
Matt.

Comments

• gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't got an answer for you....but will watch this post with interest.......would love to hear the companies response when you point out the invoice for other person
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like fraud to me but gawd knows how you proceed now !!
    Sorry I cant be or more construtive help.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    CC will likely refund and it will be up to Green Motion to produce the correct invoice.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’d read reviews that GreenMotiom were complete cowboys, and they were even featured on the TV recently for it. But this is complete fraud. They are clearly charging multiple customers for the same damage and not repairing it! And you have the proof!

It depends how far you wish to go with them, but you could consider the following, after hearing back from them, can’t wait to hear what they say.

- Credit card - tell them the transaction is fraudulent
    - Social media
    - Reporting to Icelandic Trading standards
    - Repoting to Icelandic Tourist Board

Obviously you don’t have to do all, of these, depends on how much you want to get back at them!
  • Saver92
    Options
    Thank you for your responses.

I am going to call Green Motion Head Office in the morning and ask them to provide the reports for the vehicle which i believe they can do - especailly on the date which the incorrect invoice has been given to me to see if the "Chip" had already been recorded and paid for.

Having translated the invoice into English I have also found the company who repairs the windscreen so it would be interesting to speak to them to see if the vehicles do actually go in for repair.

Tomorrow i'll be speaking with:
    - My bank again to see how best to progress this matter.
    -Green Motion (head office) - It will be interesting to see if they actually have records of my transaction!!
    -The insurance company to begin my claim just in case the above does not go to plan and I do end up losing money.

Bagand96, thank you for your input. I'm keen to hear what they have to say too and depending how the conversation goes, i will certainly be considering your above points.

I'll keep you all in the loop.

Thanks,
    Matt.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Usually your CC will freeze the payment so that you don't have to pay that via your CC bill. Then they retrieve the money themselves. You just have to fill out a fraud/dispute form and send them the erroneous invoice.
    Then it will be up to Green Motion to present the correct invoice to take the payment, which you can then present to your insurance company.
    If your CC institution does anything less, they need a kick.
  • Saver92
    Options
    Hi all,

Just a small update.

I have contacted Green Motion HQ who state in order to contact customer services i need to write to them, and expect a reponse within two weeks. Needless to say i have not yet done this.

Thankfully i have sourced the number for Green Motion Iceland. I have called them and expained to them the situtation regarding the incorrect invoice and questioned if this damage is historical before my car hire. They state the invoice was correct and was from a different chip on the car windscreen, what a coincidence. They have however emailed me the correct invoice now.

What i did find interesting was when i asked for them to send me an invice from the garage for the repair price they could not provide this. When i asked why they stated the car was now out on hire! Only two days after i dropped it off and it had not yet been in for repair. They only repair them when they get chance to do so. Call me synical but i wonder how many times they have charged for this chip!

Credit Card company are happy to dispute the payment so fingers crossed I will get somewhere with that. However now i have the correct docs for insruance this is not as pressing.

Its just furstrating as i do have to question how genuine the company is with these damage reports, especailly with others reporting the exact same on trip advisor.
  • irc
    irc Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Says it all when some excess insurance companies won't cover some Green Motion places.

" Kindly note, we are unable to provide insurance if you are renting from Green Motion Leicester, Green Motion Luton, Green Motion Leicester and Noleggiare."

Can't link as new user. Quote is from Direct Car Excess Insurance.
  • AlwaysHere
    Options
    irc wrote: »
    Says it all when some excess insurance companies won't cover some Green Motion places.

" Kindly note, we are unable to provide insurance if you are renting from Green Motion Leicester, Green Motion Luton, Green Motion Leicester and Noleggiare."

Can't link as new user. Quote is from Direct Car Excess Insurance.

https://www.direct-carexcess.co.uk/europe-excess-insurance/

I couldn't agree more.
  • irc
    irc Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't forget the ball is in your court. They are trying to get your. cash. If you are willing to go to small claims court worst case scenario is you end up paying what they ask plus small fees.

They need to use their time to make a claim, then prove that a clutch which normally fails gradually was broken by you in 30 miles.

Don't phone them. Make further communication in writing. Keep a copy with proof of postage

Tell then you don't accept liability and aren't paying.

Thereafter you don't need to respond to anything short of a letter before claim.

Cars break it happens. If the engine had failed would they be trying to get you to pay for it?

You have nothing to lose and much to gain by fighting this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure