Duel rate vs single rate meter

Options
Bimbly
Bimbly Posts: 483 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 26 January 2018 at 9:25AM in Energy
My house came with a dual rate electric meter. I thought this was normal. Turns out that you can also get single rate meters.

I thought this meant I get cheaper electric at night. It does, but to compensate I'm told that electricity during the day is more expensive.

I don't use much electric at night, due to being asleep. Although the meter shows I am using some, probably due to freezer etc ticking over.

So I've basically got a deal that charges me more for the electric I use. Not much of a deal!

I asked electric company to change my meter to a single rate thinking this would be better for me. But I've waited in three times for an engineer to come to do this job and they've not turned up for various reasons. I have another appointment in two weeks but I am now fed up with the whole thing.

Due to all the missed appointments, I've been told that I can have a two hour appointment window instead of a four hour one. But when the meter company (who are contracted by power company) rang to confirm, they refused to give me a two hour window, saying it's four hours and would just add a note for the engineer. This is the engineer who keeps coming up with excuses not to turn up ("I couldn't find the house, so I left without ringing the client", "I rang first and no one answered--" I was in the loo "--so I didn't bother to turn up, or leave message.")

Is it truly worth it?

To add to the mix, I have solar panels and run machines like dishwasher/laundry in the middle of the day when electric is free (unless it's a grey January day).

My meters will probably be changed to smart meters when the second generation comes in. That could be a while, so back in November when I first booked an appointment it seemed a good idea to get the single rate meter done before the worst of the winter. Now, I don't know...

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You should be able to claim compensation for missed appointments - instead of whinging make a formal claim/complaint in writing.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Bimbly
    Options
    I have had three compensation payments so far.

I am not coming on here whingeing. I am asking if it is really worth changing to a single rate meter. Seeing as it has been such a hassle so far.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do the sums yourself - look at your tariff using E7 and then add you day and night figures together and put then into a comparison site and see how much a single rate tariff would cost for the same number of kwh.

We are all electric, heating as well and find that a single rate tariff is cheoper than an E7 because like you we dont use all that much at night whilst we are sleeping.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 January 2018 at 10:04AM
    Options
    Basic info: how is the property heated and hot watered? E7 is primarily used with night storage heaters and an immersion heater, if you have these and switch to single rate, your heating bills will triple. If you don't have them, then all your heating is being charged at peak rate, and a single rate meter is a must, unless your supplier will totalise from 2 separate readings. Some will, some won't.
    What is your current percentage split on each register, on an annual basis?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Bimbly
    Options
    Gas central heating and hot water.

Moved in in September. I don't know my annual spend.

Was told the same about storage heaters.

I haven't looked at my useage, to be honest. I've only read the meters since November. It's a bit difficult to tell. I suppose I could take another look.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2018 at 2:36PM
    Options
    Bimbly wrote: »
    Gas central heating and hot water.

Moved in in September. I don't know my annual spend.

Was told the same about storage heaters.

I haven't looked at my useage, to be honest. I've only read the meters since November. It's a bit difficult to tell. I suppose I could take another look.
    As Matalo says , do the sums on a comp site.Get your annual day and night usage correct before visiting .
    Then do a separate annual single rate comp site check with Uswitch for your electricity .
    You may be surprised to see that its cheaper to be on Eco 7 even with gas central heating with only say, 10% night usage.And that is without trying to be economical. With some timers in place for washer/dryers and showers used in the cheap rate it could be improved to use appliances between 12.30 am to 7.30 am.
    In BST the cheap rate would go to 8.30 am which is more usable for showers/appliances and BST lasts for 7 months of the year
    Iresa Energy offer good Eco 7 ates which would beat my suppliers single rate tariff. Their day rate tariff is cheaper than my single rate Eon fixed deal tariff with lower standing charges. If I had a 2 rate meter I would switch to them and use heavy use stuff such as showers, dryers, irons in the night rate hours.Win-win
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 January 2018 at 12:18PM
    Options
    My house came with a dual rate electric meter. I thought this was normal. Turns out that you can also get single rate meters.

I thought this meant I get cheaper electric at night. It does, but to compensate I'm told that electricity during the day is more expensive.

I don't use much electric at night, due to being asleep. Although the meter shows I am using some, probably due to freezer etc ticking over.

So I've basically got a deal that charges me more for the electric I use. Not much of a deal!...
    I have had three compensation payments so far.

I am not coming on here whingeing. I am asking if it is really worth changing to a single rate meter. ...

Consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you.

You say you are asleep at night, but that does not mean you don't use electricity at night as you have discovered.
    As a MoneySaving Convert, surely you realise that if you are benefitting from cheap rate electrricity for almost 30% of the day, it would be wise to shift as much usage to this time as possible.

Iresa, which is one of the cheaper electricity suppliers for many people actually charge less on E7 day rate, than they do on their equivilent single rate for the majority of supply regions ... and of course the low rate saves you a lot more still.

Here are the Iresa rates for their Flex 4 Fixed tariff
    Whilst it's not available to new applicants, their Flex 5 Fixed tariff follws a similar charging pattern
    http://www.iresa.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/IresaEnergyTariffs.pdf
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We don't need to know your annual spend, what we need to know is your annual usage, or at least, long term usage. You have nearly 6m of usage to work with, and you may already have had your annual statement. If not, just get your bills out and total the no. of kwh's on each register from date of occupation to now to calculate the split.
    Typically you need to be using 30% on night rate to benefit from E7, though it does depend on the tariff, and with gas CH and DHW, it's harder to get to that 30%.
    You cannot possibly work out what to do without first knowing your usage. Once you know that, simply use a comp site, doing the calculation for both E7 and single rate-it's a five minute task.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Bimbly
    Options
    I would prefer to run my appliances during the day using FREE electricity from my solar panels, rather than PAY for electricity during the night, regardless of the rate.

Also, running appliances during the night is inadvisable because of the small but real risk of fire.

I'm on a fixed rate tariff until June so will not be changing suppliers at the moment.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 January 2018 at 2:33PM
    Options
    I would prefer to run my appliances during the day using FREE electricity from my solar panels, rather than PAY for electricity during the night, regardless of the rate.

Also, running appliances during the night is inadvisable because of the small but real risk of fire.

I'm on a fixed rate tariff until June so will not be changing suppliers at the moment.

Well run your appliances during the day on FREE electricity produced by your solar panels :)

That will mean you only need to rely on the Grid for night time, most of which will be covered by the 7 hours cheap rate electricity on an E7 tariff :money:

If you are worried about a risk of fire caused by electrical items during the night, don't forget to turn off your fridge freezer at night before you retire.
    And disconnect the burglar alarm - you won't need that at night.

In fact, perhaps just switch all the electricity off at the consumer board just to be entirely sure no electrical items run whilst you are asleep.
    You can always use candles to see yourself off to bed then if it's dark ... :cool:
    Don't forget to rest everything in the morning that may have a timer, such as electric clocks, microwaves, ovens, Sky boxes, central heating, etc

Sleep well; don't have nightmares! Remember your tin hat!

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport