We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Data breach at Hargreaves Lansdown???

Options
Is anyone else aware that HLs online isa withdrawal facility has been unavailable since last week?
I've spent over 3 hours on the phone since Monday and the 'customer service' ineptitude trumps anything I've suffered with the well known repeat offenders we know and love.
Even though the fault is with their it dept (300 award winning,highly motivated and skilled professionals according to their blog) only that dept can make a bacs transfer....... But even their own colleagues have been unable to contact them (in the same building!!) since last week.
Nobody is the least concerned about withholding my money, nor that their platform is broken, suspect there is something more sinister going on here.
Let's pray it's not a data breach they're trying to cover up, although all the indications point to thst
I haven't tried to contact them today, but the platform still says online withdrawals are currently unavailable.
I have not had responses to the 3 emails and the registering of an official complaint I made yesterday.
In a similar vein, online sipp withdrawals have been unavailable since March 2017.
Every month means a call usually of 40 minutes or so to set one up. I did this month's a week ago. So far there is no acknowledgement it will be actioned.

Is anyone else experiencing this woeful level of service.?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nobody is the least concerned about withholding my money, nor that their platform is broken, suspect there is something more sinister going on here.

Sinister or maybe MiFID coding requirements have created an unexpected error and they are looking to fix it.

Aviva platform is going down for withdrawals for over a week later this month.

Half the platforms out there have software issues/quirks at some point (or even constantly).
    Let's pray it's not a data breach they're trying to cover up, although all the indications point to thst

Really? And what evidence do you have to make such an allegation?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,598 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Given the detail on another thread, one suspects it's Mifid II at play.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5777048
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,765 Forumite
    Options
    Byallmeans wrote: »
    Is anyone else experiencing this woeful level of service.?
    No, I was speaking with them about drawdown options last week and as always (in my experience) their customer service was excellent. But I don't hold any ISAs with them. It might be best to retitle your thread as it is somewhat misleading. As a large SIPP holder it caused me concern to see this thread, maybe you could retitle it "Anyone else experiencing issues with HL ISA withdrawals?"
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Not good but why did you jump to a data breach, sounds like a massive and unwarranted leap in logic when something do with MIFID II directly or indirectly is surely more likely?
  • Byallmeans
    Options
    Well, evidence is hard to come by when the perp is floundering and has gone into lock-out, taking clients money with it
    They could have sorted this out temporarily with a bank transfer, but they ( uk's 70th largest company) say they aren't able to do that at the moment.
    Draw your own conclusions.
  • Peter314
    Peter314 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    I transferred a SIPP from HL to Alliance Trust Savings towards the end of last year.

Previous transfers in to HL from Fidelity and Standard Life had been implemented swiftly and easily, using online features on HL's website. The transfer out was less easy. Not possible to do online.

Alliance Trust sent a bunch of forms to fill in and return to them, after which it went quiet. A call to AT brought confirmation that they had had all they needed and had sent the necessary forms to HL.

Calling HL I was told that they still needed a form signed by me, which they proposed to send by post. After some discussion, they agreed to send it by email instead, and in the meantime, AT re-sent certified copies to HL.

I'm not sure who was at fault here, but it cost me a few extra weeks out of the market as I had liquidated my holdings when sending the original forms to AT. I naively assumed that the transfer out would be as quick as previous transfers in, and that transferring cash would further speed things up.

Can't fault the telephone support from either HL or AT though...
  • Byallmeans
    Options
    Nothing to do with FCA rules.
    This concerns a company's IT department of 300 people shutting down its platform and going into lockdown; not even communicating with their colleagues in the same building since last Friday.
    Apparently it's not company policy that the IT dept speaks to the public.
    Most astonishing thing in this fiasco is that an IT dept is the dept that manually processes bank transfers. Still trying to get my head round that one. Unless I'm being deliberately misled of course?
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 January 2018 at 5:04PM
    Options
    I just logged in to my account.

Unlike the allegation in the OP, there is no warning that online withdrawals are unavailable.

They say that online withdrawals are by Faster Payments, unlike the OP's remark about BACS transfers.

I went to pretend I would make a withdrawal, the uninvested change from some dividend reinvestments. I have to nominate a bank account, and their security process involves sending a confirmation code by post. So I didn't bother. But again there are no warnings of any problems.

http://www.hl.co.uk/help#fund-and-share-account/fund-and-share-account/managing-your-vantage-fund-and-share-account/how-do-i-withdraw-money-from-the-vantage-fund-and-share-account
  • neirajones
    Options
    This is their twitter reply:
    twitter[dot]com/HLInvest/status/953661687894339584
    (sorry I can't post direct URLs as a new user...)
  • Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Byallmeans wrote: »

What a pathetic and blatant sensationalist post.

Why don't you forward your indications and other evidence to someone like the Financial Times then if you think it's so serious?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport