Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lee274
    • By Lee274 9th Jan 18, 3:23 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Lee274
    Selling house. Want to leave vacant and save money
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:23 PM
    Selling house. Want to leave vacant and save money 9th Jan 18 at 3:23 PM
    Good afternoon all,

Myself and my wife have decided to sell our house and move to a bungalow because she was seriously ill last year and it left her with some side effects. We are mortgage free

Our idea is to sell pack all our belongings into storage, and move in with my wifes parents which will enable us to save a bit more as we will have no bills to pay. Electricity, Gas, Water and perhaps even council tax will save us quite a bit of money over 3-6 months and help us to put a bit more into a new house. Even if it saves us 4-5000 it will give us that little more on our next house. Ive looked at storage and we are looking at 100 per month for the first 2 months and 200 per month after. Even with this outlay we can save a lot.

Are there any charges from the Gas,Elec and Water companies if we do this?? Is there a standing rate?

Is Council Tax discounted?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Regards

Lee
Page 2
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Jan 18, 8:31 AM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 24,219 Thanks
    Slinky
    If there's a worse idea of trying to save money to be able to move house, I'm struggling to come up with it.

We had a sale fall through in December just before we had to move for a job move. We were moving to a property we already owned so we moved with the minimum amount of furniture and stuff that we could live with in order to leave the old place furnished. A friend house-sat for a few days a week whilst we slept on an airbed and sat on the plastic garden furniture in our new house for 3 months.

We still had a couple of low offers from people who thought we might be desperate because of our circumstances (we weren't) and in the end sold it for more than the offer we'd previously accepted.
    • Lee274
    • By Lee274 17th Jan 18, 12:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Lee274
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. It is much appreciated.

Ill be honest, its probably a silly idea but im not happy with the house anymore, and it has bad memories for me as I nearly lost my wife to a severe illness last year and It has left me struggling severe depression and anxiety. Every time I enter our room, it hits me again. Some people might laugh at this, but it was a horrific time and even our children are not too keen anymore. My wife did survive the illness but she finds it hard to cope with stairs etc now and we need to find somewhere more suited to her.

We have now listed the property as chain free, and even if we decide to move out we will be leaving our 21 year old son to care for the house until a sale goes through so it will still be lived in.

We wont be sponging of in laws either, I wasn't brought up like that and will be contributing. I know that is is a crazy idea, but if we can somehow save a bit each month then it will be great. My in laws are more than happy for us to stay, and as they are elderly it would be great for our children to spend time with their grandparents.

Again, thanks for the advice and I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply. Some people can cope with things better I suppose, but something like what we went through can really knock you for six.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,061Posts Today

7,691Users online

Martin's Twitter