Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    • 5,919Posts
    • 12,573Thanks
    marliepanda
    How much are sellers allowed to charge for ‘packaging’
    • 6th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    How much are sellers allowed to charge for ‘packaging’ 6th Jan 18 at 1:37 PM
    I am the buyer here. I bought a few items (small items which from my own experience would have gone for Ł2.80) postage listed as Ł5 each.

I bought about 5 of these items and the revised postage was given as Ł12.00. When I got the items today Ł6.50 is the postage cost.

I have asked the seller to refund some of the difference however she has said that the postage cost includes postage and packaging. I don’t feel very happy to pay Ł5.50 for a reused BeautyBay box and a few bits of bubble wrap, and her ebay fee also. What are eBays rules on this?

In my opinion I’d have expected Ł4 back.
Page 1
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 6th Jan 18, 2:34 PM
    • 4,580 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:34 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:34 PM
    Sellers could add Ł1000000 postage and packaging for a 99p hair comb if they wanted. Its up to buyers to decide if they are willing to pay this.

You should have checked postage cost for 5 items were before purchasing. If you were unhappy with the price you should have shopped with someone else. No-one is going to force them to return Ł4. The best you can do is leave feedback stating that you feel you were overcharged on postage and packaging.

Next time check you are happy with postage/packaging costs before buying.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 6th Jan 18, 2:54 PM
    • 2,257 Posts
    • 1,529 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:54 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 2:54 PM
    If the total price you paid had been quoted with 'Free Postage' you would not be complaining.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 12,573 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    If the total price you paid had been quoted with 'Free Postage' you would not be complaining.
    Originally posted by Tom99
    Well they were bid items, and I certainly wasn’t going to pay Ł25 to ship five Ł5 each items.

I understand sellers have costs and I understand the final value fee on postage costs. I also understand buying packaging has a cost.

What I don’t accept is paying double the postage cost for the seller to pocket. I’ve sold on eBay and I charge exact postage costs plus a small round up for the fee as I’m not going to charge people for my time and petrol to the post office and my garage is full of old packaging from others.

If the seller chooses not to refund some postage I will be returning the items. The description is not accurate but for the sale price, I’m happy. For the sale price plus hiked postage, they’re not worth it.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 12,573 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    Sellers could add Ł1000000 postage and packaging for a 99p hair comb if they wanted. Its up to buyers to decide if they are willing to pay this.

You should have checked postage cost for 5 items were before purchasing. If you were unhappy with the price you should have shopped with someone else. No-one is going to force them to return Ł4. The best you can do is leave feedback stating that you feel you were overcharged on postage and packaging.

Next time check you are happy with postage/packaging costs before buying.
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    I checked with the seller and she said she’d need to purchase a larger box to ship them in, and quoted the Ł12.

She them shipped them in a reused box.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 6th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 4,468 Thanks
    usefulmale
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    If the seller chooses not to refund some postage I will be returning the items. The description is not accurate but for the sale price, I’m happy. For the sale price plus hiked postage, they’re not worth it.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    So you are going to pay Ł6.50 just because you didn't get Ł4 back?

Or are you planning on falsely claiming SNAD seeing as you have dropped the 'description is not accurate' get-out in?

See, by your own admission, you are happy with the items, so the 'S' in SNAD does not apply.
    Signature removed by ForumTeam again
    • elsien
    • By elsien 6th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 16,552 Posts
    • 41,791 Thanks
    elsien
    Doesn't matter what she shipped them in. She quoted you the combined postage costs and you accepted it. So you obviously thought the items were worth it at that point.
    I get why you're a bit miffed, but you agreed the postage costs before she sent them so you can't really complain now.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jan 18, 3:24 PM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 12,573 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:24 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:24 PM
    So you are going to pay Ł6.50 just because you didn't get Ł4 back?

Or are you planning on falsely claiming SNAD seeing as you have dropped the 'description is not accurate' get-out in?

See, by your own admission, you are happy with the items, so the 'S' in SNAD does not apply.
    Originally posted by usefulmale
    I’m not lying, but if the seller wants to inaccurately describe AND overinflate postage then she can’t do both sorry. If you think that’s all okay, the fair play to you, but you can’t try have your cake and eat it.

The items condition on arrival is absolutely worth my bid price plus the actual postage cost.

They are not worth the bid price plus inflated postage.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 6th Jan 18, 3:30 PM
    • 15,783 Posts
    • 21,684 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:30 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:30 PM
    I'm with Marlie on this one.

When you buy several items, you trust the seller to adjust the postage to a sensible amount to reflect the actual cost of posting several items at once.

It is natural instinct to feel annoyed when this amount turns out to be far more than it actually cost them.

I personally would leave a 1* for packaging and postage when leaving FB.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Pun
    • By Pun 6th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    Pun
    Completely sympathise with your feeling miffed, but your logic doesn't really add up. You seem to be saying that the items were worth the price you paid plus the postage quoted - but then when you saw you'd been charged more than the actual cost of postage, suddenly they weren't worth the total you'd paid! Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Also a bit puzzled by your comment that you bought 'about 5' - don't you know how many you bought...?

'Fine. If you says it!!!8217;s unfair for me to ask for a postage refund I!!!8217;ll just send them back.' Ever heard the phrase 'cutting off my nose to spite my face'?
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 6th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 512 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    Postage and packing is made up of material (packing materials) postage costs, labour (packing up the items, taking them to the post office), sundry costs (printing etc) fuel costs (most people do not live above a post office) .

It is fairly realistic that the cost of delivery is going to be greater than the cost of the stamps on the outside to cover these costs.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 12,573 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Completely sympathise with your feeling miffed, but your logic doesn't really add up. You seem to be saying that the items were worth the price you paid plus the postage quoted - but then when you saw you'd been charged more than the actual cost of postage, suddenly they weren't worth the total you'd paid! Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Also a bit puzzled by your comment that you bought 'about 5' - don't you know how many you bought...?

'Fine. If you says it’s unfair for me to ask for a postage refund I’ll just send them back.' Ever heard the phrase 'cutting off my nose to spite my face'?
    Originally posted by Pun
    I’m not sure what doesn’t make sense.

The items (in the condition they were described) are worth what I paid. (Let’s say Ł30)

They are NOT worth what I paid, as they aren’t as described.

However, if I had paid my purchase cost plus the actual postage that’s a far deal for them. (Let’s call it Ł25)

I’m happy to pay Ł25 for this condition. I am not happy to pay Ł30 for this condition.

I’m not sure what that lacks in logic. Disagree with my opinions for sure, but it does make sense... (about 5 doesn’t agreed, I bought four of the same item and one different item, but I didn’t write it well at all you can have that! )
    • Middlestitch
    • By Middlestitch 6th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Middlestitch
    Of course it's not unfair to ask. Try messaging the seller along the lines of: 'Thank you for sending my items so promptly. I note that you were able to find a box you could re-use rather than having to buy a new one as you'd anticipated, so could I please ask you to reconsider whether charging Ł12 for an item which cost Ł6.50 to post is quite what you intended? It does feel a very hefty amount to pay and rather dents any pleasure in my purchase'.
    • usefulmale
    • By usefulmale 6th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 4,468 Thanks
    usefulmale
    So you’ve never had an item which is not as described but you though, I got a bargain so I’ll keep it anyway?! As I said, the items are worth what I paid plus the postage cost. They are not worth another third on top of that. It’s not rocket science.

I paid as I felt I was paying for a large box purchase, and the sellers costs and final value fee. Instead they were put into a smaller reused box, so the seller lied about needing to buy a larger box.

Fine. If you says it’s unfair for me to ask for a postage refund I’ll just send them back.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    If the items are SNAD, then you open a case and return them. Simple as that.

Your complaint seems to be that you feel you have overpaid on the postage but you also throw in SNAD as a get-out clause in case you don't get what you want i.e a partial refund.

You don't mention the total value of the items but on postage alone, the seller is paying Ł1.20 in ebay fees. If the value of the items is just twice the postage, that makes ebay fees of Ł3.60. Then Paypal takes their cut.

So, postage Ł6.50 plus eBay fees plus Paypal fees could easily make it a tenner (feel free to give us the value of the items so we can work the fees out) so, on those figures, Ł2 difference and you want Ł4 back.
    Signature removed by ForumTeam again
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 12,573 Thanks
    marliepanda
    If the items are SNAD, then you open a case and return them. Simple as that.

Your complaint seems to be that you feel you have overpaid on the postage but you also throw in SNAD as a get-out clause in case you don't get what you want i.e a partial refund.

You don't mention the total value of the items but on postage alone, the seller is paying Ł1.20 in ebay fees. If the value of the items is just twice the postage, that makes ebay fees of Ł3.60. Then Paypal takes their cut.

So, postage Ł6.50 plus eBay fees plus Paypal fees could easily make it a tenner (feel free to give us the value of the items so we can work the fees out) so, on those figures, Ł2 difference and you want Ł4 back.
    Originally posted by usefulmale
    Fees and costs are a price of doing business on eBay. Not something for the buyer to pay all of. If you want to cover your costs, factor it in the price of the item not the postage cost.
    It’s postage and packaging, not postage plus all my eBay costs and PayPal fees.
    • Middlestitch
    • By Middlestitch 6th Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Middlestitch
    I've never seen anyone try to argue that an item is SNAD based on the packing box it came in!
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 12,573 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Of course it's not unfair to ask. Try messaging the seller along the lines of: 'Thank you for sending my items so promptly. I note that you were able to find a box you could re-use rather than having to buy a new one as you'd anticipated, so could I please ask you to reconsider whether charging Ł12 for an item which cost Ł6.50 to post is quite what you intended? It does feel a very hefty amount to pay and rather dents any pleasure in my purchase'.
    Originally posted by Middlestitch
    Ł4.50 refunded just now so I’m leaving positive 5* feedback.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 6th Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 962 Posts
    • 9,725 Thanks
    warby68
    So the postage cost breaks down to a little over Ł2 per item compared to the Ł5 if you only bought one.

That isn't a bad combined postage discount - perhaps she thought it would weigh a bit more than it did too.

Its starting to sound a bit like blackmail to try and get your own way on the total amount paid.

You were happy to pay the Ł12 until you knew she made a bit of 'profit' on that.

The SNAD is a tactic - you're either happy with them or you aren't.

I'd look at it this way - you find 5 (or so) items available from the same seller so got a postage discount. The seller sold 5 or so to the same person so got a bit of postage profit on this occasion. Is that not win/win?

PS I note you got your refund anyway
    Last edited by warby68; 06-01-2018 at 4:29 PM.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 12,573 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I've never seen anyone try to argue that an item is SNAD based on the packing box it came in!
    Originally posted by Middlestitch
    Where did I say that?!
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Jan 18, 4:29 PM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 12,573 Thanks
    marliepanda
    The option to send back as SNAD was absolutely me throwing my toys out of the pram, but it wasn!!!8217;t lying or fraudulent.

Simply the items are worth less due to some description issues and I was willin to accept that for a lower price. maybe I should have just asked for a refund on price paid rather than bring up the postage.

Maybe I should have said overall I feel I!!!8217;ve overpaid by about a fiver and I!!!8217;ll ask for that as a refund, ignoring any postage costs. The seller may then think !!!8216;oh well I!!!8217;ve got extra from the postage cost so I don!!!8217;t mind sending a partial refund for condition!!!8217; I simply thought asking for a refund of overpaid postage was easier than arguing with the seller about which flaws she listed and which she did not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,247Posts Today

6,613Users online

Martin's Twitter