What could he be up to?

Options

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can't see why any work security checks would require the kids passport details.
    I'd be worried he is trying to pose as your friend to do something fraudulent like borrow on the house but not sure where passport details come in!
    Yes abducting the kids by getting new passports did come to mind but you say they are older so that's not relevant.
    Does he pay child support? Are the kids turning old enough he can stop?
    Does your friend claim any benefits and he is trying to stitch her / him up?
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »
    Just to answer some of the posts above-

The mortgage on the house my friend lives in is in her ex's name only so if he were to re-mortgage she would not be involved. The mortgage company would not be able to speak to her for this reason. There is very little equity in the property.

He lives in a rented property and has 4 more children. He is very much a snob and would not consider a council house if he was offered one rent free.

He is a very high earner and besides the mortgage on the marital home and maintenance he is also paying 1500 a month rent. He may well have money issues though as he has always lived above his means and likes to appear as a 'well to do man of the world'. The reality is far different.

He has definitely not lost his job and he is paying maintenance on time.

Sounds like an attempt for the 2nd wife to claim benefit, then - or she's already been doing that and has been caught. Although I wouldn't dismiss the 'free house' theory, as plenty seem to think that you can make money through subletting/right to buy - in addition, 1500 for somewhere to house 6 people is only a scrappy little 3 bed ex council place down here at best. Local housing Allowance for somebody claiming to be single (because the husband has provided 'evidence' that he lives at another address) and a parent of 7 kids that are older, so are not necessarily expected to share rooms, is more than that of a couple still living together where one works and brings in good money and have children that can be expected to share a room due to their age and gender.

Or she's left him and he's trying to get out of paying her any money.

Whatever, it's still unlikely to be be legit.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Sam_Fallow
    Sam_Fallow Posts: 923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Get your friend to ask 'can I have the contact details of the person within the company that I should I send the papers to?'

Doesn't have to send them but it might get a bit more info out of him.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
  • troubleinparadise
    Options
    Numerous replies to your first post, OP, and not one person has ever heard of this information or paperwork being needed for a particular but simple reason.

I have heard of full name and place and date of birth being needed for extended family members for high security clearance for Government security jobs...but copies of a passport details? No, unless it’s for finance or flight booking or proof of ID - but not for an estranged parent.

Odd. Wait for better information, just ignore for now.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Offer to be helpful by taking the documents into the office yourself since it just happens you'll be in that neck of the woods next week!

Cat and pigeons, anyone?! :D
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    If he is constantly texting her at the moment, can she block his number? Or maybe she could text back, telling him to make the request, with a detailed reason, through his solicitor, and she will reply through her solicitor once she has taken legal advice.

Personally I would say no, but I appreciate that not everyone feels strong enough to do that.
  • Tamsin_Temrin
    Options
    How old are the children? Could he apply for finance in their names?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    if he cant be bothered with his kids id tell him to sling his hook
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    Intrigued to know the outcome of this
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would suspect he is intending to go back to court to force same of the house saying children are now old enough. Is the friend living on her own or does she have a new partner living there too.

Though my also it could be with his pension and death in service but in either case it makes no sense to ask for both birth certificate AND passport unless he said one or the other.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure