Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jelliot
    • By jelliot 4th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 2Thanks
    jelliot
    Swiching Sky Box off at Night?
    • 4th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    Swiching Sky Box off at Night? 4th Jan 18 at 5:37 PM
    Will it cause any problems such as updates updating during the night if I switch my Sky box off during the night?
Page 2
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Jan 18, 12:59 AM
    • 9,044 Posts
    • 5,392 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Yes but no one ever needs to pay for a repair so my original point stands.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday

Not everyone can blag a freebie. If you are 3 months into a 12month contract, they know that you can't afford to leave, because there will be a large penalty, so the 'winners' are those who have a rolling contract or whose minimum term is due to end soon.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Jan 18, 1:40 AM
    • 20,358 Posts
    • 11,264 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Not everyone can blag a freebie. If you are 3 months into a 12month contract, they know that you can't afford to leave,
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Of course anyone three months into a 12 month contract should either still have a 12 month warranty on their Sky+HD or will receive a "free" repair regardless if they are Sky Q customers.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 10th Jan 18, 5:59 AM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    So I will say it again, you will never need pay for a repair. I don!!!8217;t know anyone who as ever paid the 65 call out charge.
    OP if you!!!8217;re not recording at night then save yourself a few pennies and unplug the thing.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • prowla
    • By prowla 10th Jan 18, 6:54 AM
    • 9,819 Posts
    • 7,906 Thanks
    prowla
    I spent years trying to stop her turning of the switches on 13amp socket, she thought it would stop electricity from escaping an d she is the one that went to UNI.

I ensured when she was recharging the smartphone every night,id tunr off the socket,she has now realised.
    Originally posted by mobileron
    Well, you should have them switched off if there's nothing plugged in, otherwise when you do plug in it'll be straight to live and you may as well not have a switch there...
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 10th Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    • 2,210 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Of course anyone three months into a 12 month contract should either still have a 12 month warranty on their Sky+HD or will receive a "free" repair regardless if they are Sky Q customers.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Not if they're 3 months into a 12 month recontract (as many are).

There'll be many that have paid for new equipment or an engineer visit.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 9,044 Posts
    • 5,392 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude

Under the HD+ setup, you don't get a new box when you change your contract. The box is yours to keep and after a year any repairs are officially at your expense.

If you are near the end of the new minimum term or don't have one, then you may get a free repair or replacement, as you may soon leave, but if at the beginning, leaving would cost too much, so you have no leverage.

HD+ boxes are no longer given to new customers,but are retained for ongoing ones. When the supply runs out, the only option will be to buy elsewhere (Ebay) or take on Q.
    • r2015
    • By r2015 14th Jan 18, 11:18 AM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    r2015
    Not on standby overnight (not even close) which is what the thread is about.
    According to my plug in monitor my Sky box uses the same whether it is on or in standby.
    Heading towards 72 and getting even more forgetful and confused and tending to ramble even more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Jan 18, 11:27 AM
    • 2,210 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    According to my plug in monitor my Sky box uses the same whether it is on or in standby.
    Originally posted by r2015
    Then you need a better plug in monitor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,680Users online

Martin's Twitter