Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jelliot
    • By jelliot 4th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 2Thanks
    jelliot
    Swiching Sky Box off at Night?
    • 4th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    Swiching Sky Box off at Night? 4th Jan 18 at 5:37 PM
    Will it cause any problems such as updates updating during the night if I switch my Sky box off during the night?
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 4th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 808 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    assuming you mean "off" as in "no lights on the box" aka unplugged, then the box won't be able to update.

The boxes are designed to be left in standby mode, which is the orange light. There are only three modes on them based on the light on the front of the box - green (on), orange (standby) and red (effectively off). The boxes will not update or record or basically do anything in "red" mode and I dare say given long enough it will not see the automatic updates.

Note that if you unplug the box it will take five minutes at least to come back up, rebuild the search, reload the planner and the TV guide, whereas from standby, about two seconds.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Jan 18, 11:35 PM
    • 20,443 Posts
    • 11,333 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:35 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:35 PM
    Will it cause any problems such as updates updating during the night if I switch my Sky box off during the night?
    Originally posted by jelliot
    They are designed for power (and internet) to be constantly supplied.

Removing the power overnight will not only deprive you of updates, it will mean the On Demand provision that forms part of your subscription will be compromised.

Leave it plugged in.

If you are concerned about cost and the environment, enable "Eco" mode.

If you are truly worried about cost, cancel subscription television altogether..
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 5th Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    • 958 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    MataNui
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    We turn ours off and unplug. In fact the last thing i do at night is unplug anything that absolutely dosnt need to be on. A Sky box and TV dont need to be on. Its a mild paranoia thing caused by having a fireman in the family who occasionally recounts tales of house fires caused by faulty electrical items left plugged in overnight.

It does take a long time so wake itself up in the morning and sometimes will perform an update then (means it takes longer then freezes, then turns itself off again etc) but its no big deal. Cant say i am ever in a rush to watch TV when i get up anyway.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th Jan 18, 1:51 PM
    • 2,228 Posts
    • 1,034 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:51 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:51 PM
    We turn ours off and unplug. In fact the last thing i do at night is unplug anything that absolutely dosnt need to be on. A Sky box and TV dont need to be on. Its a mild paranoia thing caused by having a fireman in the family who occasionally recounts tales of house fires caused by faulty electrical items left plugged in overnight.

It does take a long time so wake itself up in the morning and sometimes will perform an update then (means it takes longer then freezes, then turns itself off again etc) but its no big deal. Cant say i am ever in a rush to watch TV when i get up anyway.
    Originally posted by MataNui
    If you do this with your internet router as well then the odds are you're not getting the speed you should.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 5th Jan 18, 2:34 PM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 7,002 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:34 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:34 PM

Originally posted by MataNui
    Most likely appliance to catch fire is a washing machine. Its not something i watch when its doing its business.

The most likely cause of house fires is smoking.

Your fridge is a considerably bigger fire risk than your sky box or tv (neither of which is earthed theyre considered that safe and both of which are considered intrinsically safe, basically unable to catch fire in normal or abnormal conditions) but is something no one ever unplugs.

Risk management. Your fridge will always (to the extent that your fridge might set on fire and your sky box will not) set on fire first. Just make sure youve got a working fire alarm which you test regularly and youll be fine. Unless of course you want to be unplugging your fridge nightly too.
    Don't be angry!
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th Jan 18, 3:54 PM
    • 2,228 Posts
    • 1,034 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:54 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 3:54 PM
    Most likely appliance to catch fire is a washing machine. Its not something i watch when its doing its business.

The most likely cause of house fires is smoking.

Your fridge is a considerably bigger fire risk than your sky box or tv (neither of which is earthed theyre considered that safe and both of which are considered intrinsically safe, basically unable to catch fire in normal or abnormal conditions) but is something no one ever unplugs.

Risk management. Your fridge will always (to the extent that your fridge might set on fire and your sky box will not) set on fire first. Just make sure youve got a working fire alarm which you test regularly and youll be fine. Unless of course you want to be unplugging your fridge nightly too.
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    And only smoking outdoors.

And never ever using an oven or stove.
    • MataNui
    • By MataNui 5th Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    • 958 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    MataNui
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:20 PM
    If you do this with your internet router as well then the odds are you're not getting the speed you should.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Router i treat like the fridge. Always on. I also keep lizards so they have the heatmats always on. Sky box, TVs, computers etc have no valid reason to be left on so i turn them off.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 5th Jan 18, 5:50 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 2,120 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:50 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 5:50 PM
    A friend's husband is a retired fireman. The most dangerous thing in the home is those plug-in air freshers, they cause more fires. They can overheat and have oil in them. He refuses to let any of the family use them.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 5th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    • 9,044 Posts
    • 5,393 Thanks
    teddysmum
    A friend's husband is a retired fireman. The most dangerous thing in the home is those plug-in air freshers, they cause more fires. They can overheat and have oil in them. He refuses to let any of the family use them.
    Originally posted by donnac2558
    I was just going to mention this ,as after a fire in a friend's road, the fire service visited every house and she as told that her Ambi -pur if left on was the greatest hazard.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 6th Jan 18, 4:40 AM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    If you!!!8217;ve got no recordings scheduled then I would unplug it.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 7th Jan 18, 1:15 AM
    • 9,044 Posts
    • 5,393 Thanks
    teddysmum
    If you’ve got no recordings scheduled then I would unplug it.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday

Why ? It uses very little electricity and will take longer to boot up each time, as it downloads the latest epg (normally automatically done in the early hours ) which has a much longer list of items than Freeview or Freesat.

They are designed to be left on standby, as are most tvs, nowadays, so constant switching may increase wear and tear.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 7th Jan 18, 5:14 AM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Why ? It uses very little electricity and will take longer to boot up each time, as it downloads the latest epg (normally automatically done in the early hours ) which has a much longer list of items than Freeview or Freesat.

They are designed to be left on standby, as are most tvs, nowadays, so constant switching may increase wear and tear.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    wear and tear wouldn’t matter on a sky box as it would be replaced when broke.
    • Terry98
    • By Terry98 7th Jan 18, 5:57 AM
    • 935 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    Terry98
    Sky Q maybe but you would have to threaten to leave Sky before they would consider replacing a HD box free of charge.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 7th Jan 18, 8:50 AM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 2,068 Thanks
    giraffe69
    with most devices turning them off an on repeatedly is a point of stress. It also won't be long until you forget to turn it back on and miss a recording.
    Sounds like a headache for little or no gain.
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 7th Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    mobileron
    I spent years trying to stop her turning of the switches on 13amp socket, she thought it would stop electricity from escaping an d she is the one that went to UNI.

I ensured when she was recharging the smartphone every night,id tunr off the socket,she has now realised.
    • r2015
    • By r2015 7th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    r2015
    It uses very little electricity
    Does it?

Mine consumes 45 watts every hour which is 394 kWh in a year for which Bulb charges me £53 which is the single most costly item that uses electricity.

Even my freezer costs less to run.
    Heading towards 72 and getting even more forgetful and confused and tending to ramble even more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 7th Jan 18, 8:20 PM
    • 2,228 Posts
    • 1,034 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Does it?

Mine consumes 45 watts every hour which is 394 kWh in a year for which Bulb charges me £53 which is the single most costly item that uses electricity.

Even my freezer costs less to run.
    Originally posted by r2015
    Not on standby overnight (not even close) which is what the thread is about.
    • macman
    • By macman 8th Jan 18, 1:25 PM
    • 41,920 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    macman
    No it wouldn't. The Sky is equipment is yours, not leased, and the warranty lasts for 12m only. After that period you can blag a free repair by asking to leave-but it's not a contractual right.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 8th Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    No it wouldn't. The Sky is equipment is yours, not leased, and the warranty lasts for 12m only. After that period you can blag a free repair by asking to leave-but it's not a contractual right.
    Originally posted by macman
    Yes but no one ever needs to pay for a repair so my original point stands.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

126Posts Today

1,625Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin