Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oz0707
    • By oz0707 2nd Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 536Posts
    • 146Thanks
    oz0707
    Funds for idiots
    • 2nd Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    Funds for idiots 2nd Jan 18 at 4:11 PM
    Excuse the title. I'm looking for advice on funds I should be investing in. I have a modest sum split across a few banks (FSCS limit) and i'm steadily realising inflation is eroding this. I do occasionally need a lot of working capital for my business but i'm thinking the least I could do is max out every years ISA allowance into one of these tracker or index funds. Wasn't it a lot easier before BOE rate fell and you could just about starve inflation off with a steady savings account!

So i've had a quick look at Vanguards website. Sort of understand whats going on with the different funds but will I have to open up a new ISA with them? If so will i still be allowed to keep my existing S&S Isa with halifax? I only use this for a bit of 'gambling' on the odd individual share here and there.

As for risk I appreciate this is an individual decision subject to specific outlook/lifestyle/goals. Im around 30 and as I said am happy to put away 15k (still the ISA limit?) a year into one of these funds and (sort of) forget about it. In the unlikely event I need to sell up everything to release money for myself i'll just have to deal with the consequences - down cycle etc.

So apart from Vanguard, what are the places/funds you lot are using to invest. I want something passive, quite a global outlook, minimal fees and ideally ISA wrapper. Does this mean i'm more suited to a index tracker? Sorry for the amateur questions I bet you're answering this once a week.
Page 2
    • oz0707
    • By oz0707 5th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    • 536 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    oz0707
    Thanks. Yes I could look to diversify in my S&S Isa in future with the addition of small cap funds. I have looked at the breakdown but i'm afraid to say it doesn't mean a lot to me! The HSBC one seems to have a big UK weighting but I read it was global and included emerging markets. Rather than try and kill all birds with one stone it may be better to keep my LISA to a world index tracker, say fidelity, then add small cap, FTSE trackers etc in normal ISA
    • oz0707
    • By oz0707 5th Jan 18, 10:19 AM
    • 536 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    oz0707
    To be fair that vanguard 100 looks ok on the breakdown. The UK weighting isn't frighteningly high - 25% and has 7.5% emerging markets.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,651Posts Today

7,521Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • After the news I'm suing facebook over scam ads, people keep sending me ads with my pic in asking, ?is THIS ad with? https://t.co/lhTmijgnWt

• So Facebook just waxed lyrical about all the things they're doing to stop fake ads. Whoop de whoop. Yet THESE SCA? https://t.co/hP4q6kRuuQ

• Facebook giving evidence I believe just said "mr lewis said there are 50 ads, but we checked and found 1,000s".? https://t.co/4dAe8PCTCb

• Follow Martin