Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 30,044Posts
    • 174,130Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
Page 57
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jul 18, 8:28 PM
    • 58,030 Posts
    • 238,845 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on only 2 more French mortgage payments left
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 11th Jul 18, 11:10 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 3,709 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Thanks earthgirl! I have a stack of books that will be no good in the local charity shop, I'm wondering about selling those on Amazon, or just on webuybooks. A decision for next week, I think.

Another mfw achievement last night, thanks to greent: I joined ICE for my mastercard, in the last few hours of the offer, so I'll get the tenner that Martin blagged for mse members, plus ongoing points. Hurray!

Talking of refunds, also had the refunds from the cruise: because of the changes in the itinerary due to the storm, we had four cancellations of day trips, plus I cancelled another one from sheer tiredness. We rebooked the four, though (on my sister's card) so there's lots of money-swaps to be done with my sister once she gets invoiced for the ones we ended up taking. I was impressed that the company never even charged a nominal £5 for cancellation and rebooking.

In the post yesterday, a few finance things: a couple will help me update my net worth, and there's only two French mortgage payments left, plus a third payment thats about a quarter of the normal, to pay off the remaining capital. Since the rental payments *to* me will continue, I need to find some kind of investment account in France thats going to help, mortgage interest won't be claimable any more!

Off to play in London today, going to the Rodin exhibition, I lurve Rodin. I hope everyone has a good day.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    We had music magpie and ziffit open on comp and 3 boxes. Bar code into each to see who wanted it and what price then book into either mm box, z box or charity box. Ziffit better prices but pickier, Mm took more but often at 1p and when money came through they took off more for damaged or reasons known only to them however they usually gave better prices for dvds and cds as we popped a few in to fill the box .

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Jul 18, 10:55 AM
    • 30,044 Posts
    • 174,130 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks Daisy I'm willing to work to sell some stuff, but not endlessly - so this could be a really good alternative. Diarised for next week.

Rodin was brilliant - I'd forgotten that the exhibition was based on his links with Ancient Greece (via the British Museum itself, he never went to Greece) which I love most of all.

Popped over to John Lewis on Oxford Street, to change back Norwegian money - spent about £75 all told, so the inclusivity of the holiday really proved its worth. As a reward, we had a saunter about JL haberdashery, which I've always loved, and still didn't buy anything

Today, its catchup day, mostly cleaning of one sort or another and gardening and sorting a lot of genealogy scans.

I think I'm going to buy a full size dishwasher - it might go underneath the present counter if I take the top off it, like the current one has, but if not, I'll put it *next* to the counter, until I'm ready to get the kitchen redone, and put the kitchen table upstairs for now. And I will get the kitchen redone, since I'm staying here (I'll move if I win the million pound premium bond The electrics downstairs aren't wonderful, the plaster is appalling and falling off, the chimney breast deprives me of a lot of space, the oven doesn't work and is too big in any case, the cupboard doors are nice but the plastic finish is falling off, etc, etc. I can get a lot more storage in there.
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 12th Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    • 1,989 Posts
    • 11,463 Thanks
    themadvix
    I think that sounds like a sensible plan re the dishwasher. Ooh the luxury of a full-size one! (Ours is slimline and you can never get everything in it! (First world problems )).

Glad you enjoyed Rodin
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Jul 2018: £91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Jul 18, 12:27 PM
    • 30,044 Posts
    • 174,130 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks madvix! You have my sympathies for the slimline - I've used them in holiday lets, and I really didn't get on with them. Hey ho. It can be a good thing that our white goods don't last for so long!
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Jul 18, 1:33 PM
    • 30,044 Posts
    • 174,130 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Dishwasher ordered, a Kenwood from Currys. Weird, but it has measurements that might just go into the space I've got at the moment. Free delivery on Monday, which means, unless I'm *very* lucky, I won't be able to go on the healthy walk, but I'm running out of patience with dishwashing and everything else, it seems - survey at the end promised two questions, gave me 10. I got to the end so that I could tell them I noticed that they were lying liars the survey firm, that is.
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 12th Jul 18, 8:34 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 24,281 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Hope it fits! I'd be totally lost without ours.
    Hope you enjoyed a day of littering and didn't work too hard.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    2k Monthly buffer 2k/2k 5k Travel savings £3203/5k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Jul 18, 8:46 PM
    • 30,044 Posts
    • 174,130 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm a bit lost too! I only got one about 7 years ago, but I simply wouldn't be permanently without one now - a lot of stuff has got in the way of buying one, and I can't wait for it to come!

I've had quite a lazy day, to be honest, though I *did* finally get round to planting the three little pots of chives I've made out of a supermarket pot that cost £1.25. Its quite a bit deal - digging this soil is *so* difficult, and just in that little area, I must have put 20 or 30 litres of water. I hope they survive - I do have one clump already, so once they start putting their roots down, they *should* be okay.

Night night all
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 13th Jul 18, 4:18 PM
    • 2,306 Posts
    • 14,781 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Yeah to a new dishwasher! Totally agree with you - how did we ever survive without them?

Today's adventure was that our boiler packed in mid-shower! A work from home day so I decided to wash my hair & ended up rinsing the suds out with cold water! Not at all fun! Boiler man has now come and gone - tweaked & fiddled with it & it is now up and running!

Have you had a downpour yet? - Just had a massive thunderstorm here - it was coming down in sheets! The sheep ran for shelter under the trees & the partridges ran into the barn - don't think any of the remembered what water is! Good for the parched grass and plants thought!
    2 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Jul 18, 4:51 PM
    • 30,044 Posts
    • 174,130 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Yeah to a new dishwasher! Totally agree with you - how did we ever survive without them?
    Originally posted by rtandon27

Today's adventure was that our boiler packed in mid-shower! A work from home day so I decided to wash my hair & ended up rinsing the suds out with cold water! Not at all fun! Boiler man has now come and gone - tweaked & fiddled with it & it is now up and running!
    Woah! Thats more adventure than I like sorry to hear this, RT! It really does seem that as soon as one thing goes, everything else gets a snit on

Have you had a downpour yet? - Just had a massive thunderstorm here - it was coming down in sheets! The sheep ran for shelter under the trees & the partridges ran into the barn - don't think any of the remembered what water is! Good for the parched grass and plants thought!
    Oh my No, it hasn't reached us yet. The clouds look really ominous - well, they did, they've cleared now - and I can just *feel* that its coming. Though I've felt that for the last 3 days

I've been in the garden weeding - seedheads, brambles, stalks of dead sorrel (that goes in the compost bin), the back of the border is now once again overgrown by 3 or 4 layers of brambles but its still a lot better than it was this time last year, because then *everything* was under brambles or overgrown hedges or something.

Am also backing up the computer - with all the pictures and notes and scans I've taken recently, it really needs it
    Last edited by Karmacat; 14-07-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Jul 18, 10:56 AM
    • 30,044 Posts
    • 174,130 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Morning no garden work today, my bad shoulder is killing me, so this morning is scanning/ bit of cleaning/ whatever else I can turn a hand to.

This afternoon: the local horticultural society I just joined has its summer show I didn't realise, but the lady running the Physic Garden trip has said she'll be there with my ticket, so I'm going, and I would anyway, if I'd know I'll buy some herbs from my list if they have them.

Also preparing for tomorrow (a trip to the waterlilies at a local National Trust Centre, a bus from my town runs directly there on Sundays). And then preparing for Monday morning and the wait for the dishwasher
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jul 18, 9:09 PM
    • 58,030 Posts
    • 238,845 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your day tomorrow.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Jul 18, 9:45 PM
    • 30,044 Posts
    • 174,130 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks honey! Hope you have a good day too.
    Retired August 2016
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 15th Jul 18, 8:09 AM
    • 2,157 Posts
    • 22,362 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Ooh! buses on a Sunday. I remember those... None left where we live. The last lot of cuts took the LA funding out as non-essential. I'm always so conscious of how alone some people can feel when that happens.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 90.89% after Q11 against revised stretch target of £60k balance
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 83.33% £9,999.70/£12,000 (after upping my target from £10k to £12k in October)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent £1,696.43/£3,000 including stores 67.14% of my annual budget at the end of Oct.
    My DFD is here
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Jul 18, 9:15 AM
    • 30,044 Posts
    • 174,130 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi SL! It's an odd one, this particular Sunday bus: its *only* Sunday, and there's just one each way from the local city on the coast. Four more from my town, which is on the way. I've never used it before, and I might not even be able to get on, I just don't know - it could be full!?

A few years ago, a Sunday bus was actually *introduced* between my town and my sister's town, weirdly, I think because of the tourist railway which dominates transport thinking in this part of the county. I'm a bit concerned at *how* hot its going to be today, but I'll give it a go.

OTOH, I've not prepared for the dishwasher's arrival - I should be cleaning right now, before I go out but, erm, I don't want to. Oops.

Hope everyone has a good day!
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 15th Jul 18, 2:34 PM
    • 2,306 Posts
    • 14,781 Thanks
    rtandon27
    It's too hot to clean! Go out & enjoy yourself KC - life is too short!!!
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Jul 18, 6:20 PM
    • 30,044 Posts
    • 174,130 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Received and understood, RT I agree with you!

There was *plenty* of space on the bus four other people going out, and no one at all when I returned I guess this is why country bus services are disappearing I got to see the tail end of the waterlilies, and hunted about in the recesses of the garden, I love doing that when I'm on my own. It was too hot, though, so I came back a bit early.

A detour while waiting for the bus turned out brilliantly a non-National Trust guy has the walled garden there, and he had a sort of junkyard of garden furniture, that was all still functional, and really beautiful, lots of wrought iron. I didn't have enough time to think about that, or the plants he had for sale, but I *did* buy a Le Creuset saucepan, complete with lid, a normal family-sized thing, in the famous orange, for £15. Perfect finish, perfect everything. I cant tell you how good that felt. Poor guy though - I don't think he has enough signage to direct people his way, and let people understand he's a one man band, not the NT.

Came home early to hide from the sun, it was exhausting. Looks lovely though

xxx
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    • 58,030 Posts
    • 238,845 Thanks
    beanielou
    Bargain woman

***Keep plodding***
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 15th Jul 18, 9:45 PM
    • 2,306 Posts
    • 14,781 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...but I *did* buy a Le Creuset saucepan, complete with lid, a normal family-sized thing, in the famous orange, for £15...
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    **Insert envious smily here**

What an incredible bargain KC!!!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Jul 18, 10:17 PM
    • 30,044 Posts
    • 174,130 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks both! I'm chuffed with the bargain, but even more chuffed with finding him at all - I don't think I can go back for the next couple of weeks, but I'll definitely go before the end of the season, and I think there's a lot more than what I saw too.

Dishwashing people have texted me saying they should be with me tomorrow afternoon. I'm still going to stick to the front of the house like glue, though, to make sure I see them
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,509Posts Today

8,496Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin