Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mimi Arc en ciel
    • By Mimi Arc en ciel 24th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    • 4,501Posts
    • 5,805Thanks
    Mimi Arc en ciel
    Boots Sale
    • 24th Dec 17, 11:28 PM
    Boots Sale 24th Dec 17 at 11:28 PM
    Now on but taking ages to go through check out....

Official MoneySavingExpert insert Fri 9 Feb: Speculation as to when Boots will boost its 'up to 70% off sale' to 'up to 90% off' has been around for a few weeks. Here's our Boots sale write-up with all the info we have so far, we'll update it when we know more.

Big thanks to Mimi Arc en ciel for starting the discussion!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Rhiannon; 09-02-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    Very proud mummy of 2!
Page 29
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 6,987 Posts
    • 49,166 Thanks
    kerri gt
    They haven't got anything wrong, there are only 12 days of Christmas?
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    The 12 days of Christmas are after Christmas are they not? Leading up to the 12th night when the wise men finally turned up with their gifts. Hence that's the last night of having decorations up. They saw the star to follow when Jesus was born on Christmas Day and it took them 12 nights to travel to the stable. I think it's generally forgotten that it didn't happen all on the same nigh..imagine all those parents sitting through a 12 night long nativity

Advent calendars in their traditional form start on Dec 1st up to Xmas eve in the countdown to Christmas, so 24 days. They were first used in the 19th century by German protestants in the lead up to Christmas.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Spendless
    • By Spendless 10th Feb 18, 11:32 AM
    • 20,070 Posts
    • 33,119 Thanks
    Spendless
    They haven't got anything wrong, there are only 12 days of Christmas?
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    Yes but it's not a 12 days of Christmas calendar as we originally thought. Something to be given as a present on Dec 25th and then opened one each day until Twelfth night. It's described on the box as a 'lifestyle Advent calendar' so to be used prior to Christmas day.That is clear due to some of the contents, eg the stickers are for you to put on someone's Xmas pressie.

It's a bit of an odd concept tbh (IMO), you think an Advent calendar would be something that's a bit of a luxury/indulgence for yourself (like beauty advent calendars are) and instead you're ending up with gift tags for other people and table confetti. This is a 'lifestyle' calendar, so supposedly aimed at things you'd do during Advent.

eg - write your xmas cards - pen
    hang a new xmas dec on your tree.
    bake little biscuits to go on your tree - cookie cutters.
    Have the house smelling festive - room spray and candles.

and so on.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 10th Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 18,386 Thanks
    Blueyez
    Ok, DD is safely out of the way, so I fetch you 'The Zoella calendar' as tonight's entertainment.

It is described on the box as 'The lifestyle advent calendar' so it is indeed half an advent calendar, whereas I thought of it as being a '12 days of christmas calendar' to be used from Christmas Day till twelth night made more sense.

I shall assume DD is the recipient and give you her likely reactions as well as my comments. For background DD is 14, almost 15, sometimes thinks she's 27 and sometimes acts as though she's 2.

Anyway

Day 1- Xmas dec- ceramic coaster size and shape bauble with wording 'merry and bright' could also be used as a coaster. Unfortunately for DD the Xmas tree is unlikely to be up on Dec 1st/2nd as she doesn't have a mother who puts it up that early, will either be used as the coaster or lost/broken before the tree goes up.

Day 2 - Very pretty packaging saying Zoella make a wish confetti, open it up and it's table confetti , green and gold stars. Very naff, DD will either think it goes with all the boring stuff that parents buy like napkins or decide it's fun to decorate her schoolfriends and schoolbag with it and end up in detention.

Day 3 - A star shaped cookie cutter, small and relatively flimsy, maybe my 16yo neice who likes baking would appreciate it, but for DD it also belongs in the 'random household stuff that parents buy' drawer along with the table confetti. No better quality than the type that I used to sometimes get as the 'free' gift on comics for her, when she was 6!

Day 4 - booklet saying 'sticker collection' Turns out to be 7 stickers that you'd put on presents you've bought someone as they say things like 'Don't open until 25th December' and 'lots of love' DD will think the stickers pretty, complain about the amount of them as that means 'Chloe' won't be able to have one, unless I go buy another calendar and how unfair I am when I refuse and then after sulking for a bit, keep them just for her 'besties' and the others can have some from a bumper roll Mum bought in Home Bargains for 39p, whilst rolling her eyes and making comments about how cheap I am.

Day 5 - The best so far, described elsewhere as a 'purse' it's actually a slim pencil case or small make up bag. Admittedly you wouldn't fit too much in it, DD's lip balm collection or the few stationery items I carry with me, to ensure I always have a pen if needed. If she doesn't want this, then I'm having it!

Day 6 - Another good day. A votive candle in festive cookie' in a glass holder that's decorated with gold gingerbread men. Shame Mum doesn't let DD have candles, convinced she'll burn the house down.

Day 7 - On a roll now. Small room spray in 'Christmas clementine'. Perhaps it would have been better to have a bodyspray as a gift, but never mind. DD likes everything to smell 'pretty'. She will probably keep this on hand to douse her room in if her brother comes in.

Day 8 - Slim gold pen. Also nice and it works (I checked!) Admittedly it's not as nice as the Swarvoski pen I found in her pencil case last week - a gift to me from my husband's employers at a very swanky everything paid for weekend DH and I went on a few years ago and def not as nice as the Cross pens of DH's that cost upwards of 40 and were also found in her schoolbag.

Day 9 - OMG - I thought someone had left a small tuft of hair in there by accident. It is a weird green-black hairy key-ring! DD will clearly think this is an opportunity to point out what a good bargain buying her a 39 Michael Kors pom-pom key-ring is instead. I might just use it as a threat, that if she loses another door key, that's the key-ring she'll be using.

Day 10 - Another cookie cutter - Gingerbread man shaped. See day 3 for thoughts!

Day 11 - Notepad. This is small and thin but not as minuscule as I'd imagined it to be. Ok for the odd note. Can't look inside as it's shrink wrapped in plastic. Very likely I'll be adding it to the stationery items I keep in my bag.

Day 12 - Really lovely. Substantial size candle fragrance 'Christmas clementine' the room spray makes a bit more sense now in a decorative glass container. DD will be on a sulk that she now owns 2 candles and isn't allowed either of them.

Overall view - Was it worth 50. Hell, No. Even with my Zoella fan I'd have wanted to pay about 20ish, maybe upto 25 as an 'indulgence'
    Originally posted by Spendless

That made for a brilliant read I have a teenage sister who is a Zoella fan and she told me about the calendar and people's reactions to it, So I looked up some of the Youtubers (is that what they are called?) reviews of it-sister wasn't impressed by the savage reviews but agreed that mum could make a better calendar at a much lower cost (she ended up with a 'homemade' BathBomb/soap calendar that didn't come anywhere near the 50 mark)
    Some of those points bring back memories of being young! The confetti and detention (Said confetti was from friends older sisters hen do though...) Taking parents expensive pens to school, lost door keys and no candles (only after I & a friend nearly did burn the house down) I wonder what age range she was targeting with this 'calendar'? It seems a tad confused, aimed at teens due to the 'brand' and packaging yet contains things that are a tad childish or more young adult than teenager. It will be interesting to see what this flop of a calendar means for the future of this sort of merchandise. while the negativity has generated publicity, surely this highlights that there is some tat that even a name can't sell? The public keeping their purses firmly closed to 'celebrity' endorsements speaks volumes about changing attitudes to consumerism in general.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Feb 18, 1:40 PM
    • 6,987 Posts
    • 49,166 Thanks
    kerri gt
    90% off in my local and...drum roll....half a dozen fabletics sets and about 40 Zoella calendars

My mum must have been a very understanding parent as I was, at 15, allowed candles and incense sticks in my room. Was prob more incense sticks when I was a teen but still had the lighter or matches to light them. Thankfully the house is still standing, although I did have an incident where I knocked black acrylic model paint all over a new carpet in my room....cue frantic cleaning up....thank goodness it cleaned up ok (esp when I put a few books over any remaining mark)
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 10th Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 18,386 Thanks
    Blueyez
    90% off in my local and...drum roll....half a dozen fabletics sets and about 40 Zoella calendars

My mum must have been a very understanding parent as I was, at 15, allowed candles and incense sticks in my room. Was prob more incense sticks when I was a teen but still had the lighter or matches to light them. Thankfully the house is still standing, although I did have an incident where I knocked black acrylic model paint all over a new carpet in my room....cue frantic cleaning up....thank goodness it cleaned up ok (esp when I put a few books over any remaining mark)
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    I used to put books and things over any marks I'd made and pray no one would move them. Nothing worse than the stomach dropping feeling when I'd get home and whatever I'd used to hide damage was sitting on the table waiting for an explanation. Oops.
    • RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 10th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 4,424 Posts
    • 4,814 Thanks
    RainbowDrops
    So, how much are the Zoella calendars now?
    And how much do we think we'll see them listed for on ebay this november
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 10th Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    • 20,070 Posts
    • 33,119 Thanks
    Spendless
    Zoella calendars are now 5.

I'm just back from the town centre and they've all gone.

D'ya think it was due to my review?

I bought mine last night at the same shop after 4.30pm and the shop closes at 5.30 and there weren't many people about, it will have opened around 8.30/9am today and was around midday when I looked. I didn't count how many were there last night but it was a small end gondola with them on a couple of shelves. At a guess I'd say now more than a dozen were left yesterday.

It is half-term here, so maybe teens buying it with pocket money or as a mother's day gift with the idea that they'll give Mum the candles and keep the other bits for themselves?

I went and checked the Benefit counter, just in case they'd been moved there as freebies, but no sign of them.

I also walked through Superdrug. I'd guessed correctly Zoella's beauty range is exclusive to them. That explains why Boots had to go for a 'lifestyle' calendar instead. Wonder why Superdrug weren't interested in her doing a Beauty advent for them - products not generating enough sales perhaps?

Re - the vloggers. I didn't notice until yesterday when I got the box home, but the contents are clearly pictured on the box. Ok you don't know that 2 of the packets will turn out to be table confetti and sticky gift labels and there are no words or photos to describe the monstrosity that is the hairy key-ring, but the rest is visible, though you wouldn't be expected to guess that the 2 cookie cutters are split up over 2 of the days, but the rest shouldn't have been a surprise.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Feb 18, 5:30 PM
    • 6,987 Posts
    • 49,166 Thanks
    kerri gt
    You know the animate germs in domestos adverts? That's what those key rings are making me think of with the description
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Spendless
    • By Spendless 10th Feb 18, 6:41 PM
    • 20,070 Posts
    • 33,119 Thanks
    Spendless
    You know the animate germs in domestos adverts? That's what those key rings are making me think of with the description
    Haha, unfortunatley I don't on account of DH flicking through tv ads every commercial break
    I'm intrigued though.

I've now dispersed the calendar's contents, showing them to DH as I emptied it. His take on it is Boots were trying to discredit Zoella because her beauty range is at Superdrug. I think he was being serious too.

So, ceramic bauble, pencil case, notebook, pen, room spray put into my present cupboard with intention for these to go into DD's stocking. Would you believe the notebook is too big for the pencil case and you can't zip it inside!

Table confetti - in food cupboard with box I keep birthday candles etc in. Keeping it for now in case I come over a deep desire to sweep/vaccuum the piddling little things up. DS is 18 in a few week's time, so could be used then, but it's doubtful since the only thing he has requested of his day is that he goes to the pub.

Stickers- in cupboard with presents. Only because I've discovered that DH has 'helpfully' put the wrapping paper away with the xmas decs, otherwise they'd be together!

Candles - saved for me. I don't trust DD not to be dopey with candles and either forget she'd lit one or knock it over. As these are festive fragrances, will be saved until end of year, when I have good intentions to get them out along with the 'frankincense' handsoap I discovered last month bought for me by my supervisor Xmas 16!

Cookie cutters - For now they're with the presents. I have a Neice who bakes. Each Christmas I buy her and her twin brother, presents to the same format, main gift of cash/voucher, stocking filler gift that reflects my Neice and Nephew's different interests/personalities and a selection box/food gift. I *might* as the small gift, put some baking items together and include the cookie cutters (as well as some decent stuff!). If not will through them into my kitchen drawer, in the vague hope one day will get the rolling pin out!

That just leaves the hairy key-ring and the best place for it is the bin! I have however added it to the bag of key-rings I keep in, for when someone needs a new one.

Hopefully you'll all be on a shiny new thread on Boxing Day 2018 speculating about Boots sale date and I can update you all on how the items were received, or if I ended up throwing the whole lot in a charity bag around July time.

• Africat
    • By Africat 10th Feb 18, 6:45 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    Africat
    Zoella calendars are now 5.

It is half-term here, so maybe teens buying it with pocket money or as a mother's day gift with the idea that they'll give Mum the candles and keep the other bits for themselves?
    [/B]
    Originally posted by Spendless
    Spendless
    How funny would it be if your DD got you one for Mothers Day
    • Africat
    • By Africat 11th Feb 18, 7:24 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    Africat
    Zoella calendars are listed on Ebay at 40
    • catswiththumbs
    • By catswiththumbs 11th Feb 18, 8:35 AM
    • 296 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    catswiththumbs
    Originally posted by Africat

• kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 11th Feb 18, 11:31 AM
    • 6,987 Posts
    • 49,166 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Anyone sold any?

I actually think this was set up rather destined to fail from the start. If the Zoella cosmetic / bath items are exclusive to Superdrug and thus she was limited on what she could develop for the Boots range - that's already a difficult scenario. But then add in the fact that her 'lifestyle' is about cosmetics (as far as I understand) it kinda makes you question exactly what she was going to do with a 'lifestyle' range in Boots.
    Last edited by kerri gt; 11-02-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Africat
    • By Africat 11th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    Africat
    Anyone sold any?

I actually think this was set up rather destined to fail from the start. If the Zoella cosmetic / bath items are exclusive to Superdrug and thus she was limited on what she could develop for the Boots range - that's already a difficult scenario. But then add in the fact that her 'lifestyle' is about cosmetics (as far as I understand) it kinda makes you question exactly what she was going to do with a 'lifestyle' range in Boots.
    I checked the Ebay completed listings and not many have sold no, I think one had a bid at 25 but definately not many buyers for them. I wonder if people bought them on 70% day thinking they'd get a profit; I'd be kicking myself now
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 11th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 18,386 Thanks
    Blueyez
    Anyone sold any?

Christmas 2016 I remember she had stationary in Boots-Jotters and boxed pencils , I can't remember what else-but a lot of it in our Boots ended up in the 90% that year too, my mother picked up a few of the jotters and pencils to put in the present cupboard. I've seen some of her bath stuff listed on Feel Unique.com the same as sold in Superdrug so I don't know how limited her range is?
    Last edited by Blueyez; 11-02-2018 at 2:23 PM.
    • cagsd
    • By cagsd 11th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    • 5,996 Posts
    • 151,524 Thanks
    cagsd
    I never managed to get out on Friday or yesterday so never got to the 90% off sale. I've just had to pop to Speke to pick up a parcel from Next, and thought I'd have a nosey in Boots, not expecting there to be anything left more than 48 hours after reductions went live. Well, there was still half an aisle of those flipping Zoella calendars!! Nothing else, at all.... But I'd say at least 40 calendars! They just can't get rid of them!

• Africat
    • By Africat 11th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 1,430 Thanks
    Africat
    Christmas 2016 I remember she had stationary in Boots-Jotters and boxed pencils , I can't remember what else-but a lot of it in our Boots ended up in the 90% that year too, my mother picked up a few of the jotters and pencils to put in the present cupboard.
    Originally posted by Blueyez
    This is why I'll be surprised if Boot's have a Zoella range this Christmas 2018...

***Can't believe we're already talking about Christmas 2018 ***
    • Figgi
    • By Figgi 11th Feb 18, 2:18 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Figgi
    Christmas 2016 I remember she had stationary in Boots-Jotters and boxed pencils , I can't remember what else-but a lot of it in our Boots ended up in the 90% that year too, my mother picked up a few of the jotters and pencils to put in the present cupboard. I've some of her bath stuff listed on Feel Unique.com the same as sold in Superdrug so I don't know how limited her range is?
    Originally posted by Blueyez
    One of the problems last year was there was a delay in the delivery into Boots warehouse of the Zoella range, This then led to a delay into stores.
    The other issue was also that it obviously wasn't cosmetics just other stuff with her brand printed on and then the price was upped.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 11th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 18,386 Thanks
    Blueyez
    This is why I'll be surprised if Boot's have a Zoella range this Christmas 2018...

***Can't believe we're already talking about Christmas 2018 ***
    My mother starts the next Christmas on Christmas day it's self! She sits down after dinner while we watch TV and makes her lists. Only once in my life have I known her to not have Christmas gifts done by the first week in December and she vowed never again after that. She has the food done by the second week. All planned like a military operation
    • catswiththumbs
    • By catswiththumbs 11th Feb 18, 4:05 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    catswiththumbs
    18 Zoella calendars left in Arnison Centre, Durham

Quick - grab one while you can!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

18Posts Today

3,796Users online

Martin's Twitter