Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 24th Dec 17, 1:08 PM
    • 22,752Posts
    • 57,095Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    When MSErs get married ...
    • 24th Dec 17, 1:08 PM
    When MSErs get married ... 24th Dec 17 at 1:08 PM
    ... they do so very frugally!

Yes, Marleyboy and I will finally be tying the knot in 2018, only eight years after moving in together, we wanted to be certain

So how frugally can we do this?

It'll be a weekday. In a registry office. With four guests. And lunch afterwards. The dearest things will probably be the outfits, Marley says I can't get married in a Primark t-shirt.

This thread is for me to keep a diary of how things are going
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
Page 1
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 4th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 36,748 Posts
    • 473,030 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    Congratulations!!! xxx

Have you thought about when/where yet?
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    15/05/2018 53528.71 (2.41% int.)
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 4th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    • 3,267 Posts
    • 8,934 Thanks
    nimbo
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    Have you made any decisions yet?

Congratulations....

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    • elsien
    • By elsien 4th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 16,552 Posts
    • 41,791 Thanks
    elsien
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    Congratulations.
    Although if you want to be truly MSE the lunch would probably have to involve yellow stickers.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 4th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 12,648 Posts
    • 26,388 Thanks
    robpw2
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    i looked at the clearence section on matalan on line and got my husbands wedding suit for 7.50 , we had a buffett at my house which we made food for - we walked into town and didnt tell anyone we bought stuff form it was for a wedding ... two pinholes cost me 1 lol

We spent the more on our honeymoon than on the wedding and the honeymoon came in under 300

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 5th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    Yellow stickers or a two-for-one offer, I suppose Nope, lunch will be full-price but I'm not going to tell the restaurant what the occasion is!!

"Where" has been decided, it's simply our nearest register office that isn't city centre. "When" has almost been decided, I just need to confirm the booking.

Marley will be wearing a suit from a couple of years ago; possibly with new trousers to accommodate mid-life spread. I'm looking online for a party frock.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

• Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 5th Jan 18, 9:33 PM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 9,090 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:33 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:33 PM
    I could send you my bus tickets which have McDonalds 1.99 vouchers on the back - if you send me an SAE first.

I'm not sure what you mean by "full-price" lunch - don't you have any discounts or offers you can use or even Clubcard vouchers?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 6th Jan 18, 3:34 PM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:34 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 3:34 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean by "full-price" lunch - don't you have any discounts or offers you can use or even Clubcard vouchers?
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Oh we could go to a Harvester or Frankie & Bennys, but we've found a nice local independent pub/restaurant that we think will be more "acceptable" to parents.

Does it count as a wedding expense if the guests pay for the meal instead of us? They are bound to offer
    Mrs Marleyboy

• blue_haddock
    • By blue_haddock 6th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 11,757 Posts
    • 18,425 Thanks
    blue_haddock
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 6th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    I'm sure you will look fab and have an amazing day!
    Cover me in honey and fling me to the hermaphrodites!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 6th Jan 18, 9:40 PM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 9,090 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Does it count as a wedding expense if the guests pay for the meal instead of us? They are bound to offer
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    If you want to win The MSE Apprentice you'll negotiate a commission from the restaurant of at least 10% of everything your party spend
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 6th Jan 18, 10:43 PM
    • 36,748 Posts
    • 473,030 Thanks
    pigpen
    If you want to win The MSE Apprentice you'll negotiate a commission from the restaurant of at least 10% of everything your party spend
    easy done.. take a student ..

We go places owned by the same chain as OH works for.. 1/3rd off everything.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 8th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    • 3,719 Posts
    • 9,215 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime

Marley will be wearing a suit from a couple of years ago; possibly with new trousers to accommodate mid-life spread. I'm looking online for a party frock.
    Lindybop do nice dresses suitable for a bride.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 8th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 9,090 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    So do Cancer Research.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 12th Jan 18, 12:36 PM
    • 8,578 Posts
    • 28,541 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Yellow stickers or a two-for-one offer, I suppose Nope, lunch will be full-price but I'm not going to tell the restaurant what the occasion is!!
    Don't mention it when you book it, but when you arrive at the restaurant on the day be sure to make it clear that you've just got married - they'll probably give you free bubbly or at least a free scoop of ice cream.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 12th Jan 18, 1:23 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    You can do it by moving in with your in-laws, eating pot noodles and never going out, leaving yourself to spend the awful realisation period together with less space to escape....
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 13th Jan 18, 9:17 PM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Wedding venue is booked Next step is to go and give notice.

Ring potentially selected, just want to see it for real (not just a tinternet photo).

Outfits under consideration.

Two free sample invitations obtained from tinternet, only need two, one for each Mum to keep as a souvenir!

Florist friend on standby.

Total spend so far: 50.
    Mrs Marleyboy

• Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 13th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 8,199 Posts
    • 9,090 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Why not ask the florist if you can rent your flowers for the ceremony and photographs? The florist may be able to sell them on for a funeral later in the day, just as long as she remembers to change the message card.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 13th Jan 18, 9:59 PM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Thank you!! Exactly the kind of thing i was looking for.
    Mrs Marleyboy

• Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 13th Jan 18, 10:00 PM
    • 22,752 Posts
    • 57,095 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Why not ask the florist if you can rent your flowers for the ceremony and photographs? The florist may be able to sell them on for a funeral later in the day, just as long as she remembers to change the message card.
    Nice thought, but it's a friend doing the flowers and she doesn't do funerals. We'll go minimalist.
    Mrs Marleyboy

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 13th Jan 18, 10:13 PM
    • 36,748 Posts
    • 473,030 Thanks
    pigpen
    I'm living a dream through your nuptuals.. not having my own you see so you're being stalked lol.

Tell you what I have just discovered.. if your parents are separated and your mother remarried you can have your stepdads name on your marriage certficate instead of your biological dads... I thought that was an interesting fact..

When you give notice they should give you a form to re-register your young man once you are married .. if they don't give you it, ask.. you just take it in to the registry office with your marriage certificate and they update your details and reissue a birth certificate.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,247Posts Today

6,613Users online

Martin's Twitter