Topping up this years ISA

I have put £10k into my 2017 S&S ISA to date and have another £10k ready to put in. Does anyone have any thought as when is best to do this? Normally I would just do it when I have the money but with Christmas round the corner and all this brexit stuff going on I was wondering if people think its better to wait till the new year once things calm down? It would be going into VLS80 BTW>:beer:

Comments

• Stick it in now, if only to stop yourself over spending at Christmas.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 December 2017 at 2:40PM
    The theory goes if people knew what was going to happen then the market would have already been priced on that basis so the question would then be what else, that people don't know, might happen. For which nobody knows with any certainty.

I would just drip the money in as it becomes available to average our your cost per unit.

Personally with such high p/e ratios and devalued currency then I wouldn't be investing new money in VLS80 unless you are putting the money away for a very long time (eg. LISA or pension) in which case current valuations won't matter much.

I hold VLS80 in my zombie Halifax SIPP but I don't intend to draw from that pension until last so it should all be invested for at least 40 years and I would start reducing risk in around 25 years time. My other pension, which I would draw first, has a lower proportion of stocks and uses UK gilts to reduce currency risk incase sterling strengthens.

I have a lot of pity for Theresa May who has a thankless and unpopular task of unearthing and grinding out a lot of contentious detail in the Brexit negotiations.

In current market conditions I would suggest looking at the L&G multi index funds (if they are on your platform) to maintain high equity exposure (to beat inflation) but limit downside risk. The upside opportunity is limited by fundamentals at the moment anyway and bonds aren't providing much opportunity either.

Alex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport