Dealer knowingly selling faulty car

Options
Long story short...go to buy second hand car from dealer yesterday...discover the auto box is knackered,soon as under load it wont change gear or accelerate,so reject car.

Looked online and dealer has it back up for sale for same price £2795 and no mention of knackerd auto gearbox.

My question is can he sell a car he knows is majorly faulty without disclosing it...unfortunately the short test drive where dealer is wouldn't show the fault,only by taking a wrong turn and going up a decent size hill showed the fault (soon as its under load fault shows).

Hazard of buying a second hand car or dealer being rather naughty.

Comments

• bobbymotors
    Options
    Dealer is an idiot, just inviting trouble.

He should just send the car to auction (no comebacks that way) and just swallow the loss.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Get someone to go and test drive it and get them to trigger the fault on the test drive.

Maybe they fixed it?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    do they have a FB page? If so post your experience with this car there. Remain factual not emotional.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Maybe they fixed it?

On a car they're selling for £2,795? Highly unlikely.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »

Why not? Might just want the internal oil filter changing. A couple of hours labour.
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »

I remember Wheeler Dealers picking up a Boxster with a 'knackered' auto box, they just changed the fluid and filter and it worked fine. £200 job. Low fluid level can cause that as well, which could be down to a leaking gasket on the gearbox sump, again, easily fixed.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Nobbie1967 wrote: »
    I remember Wheeler Dealers picking up a Boxster with a 'knackered' auto box, they just changed the fluid and filter and it worked fine. £200 job. Low fluid level can cause that as well, which could be down to a leaking gasket on the gearbox sump, again, easily fixed.

And you believe that work of fiction?
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    And you believe that work of fiction?

The fix they did was entirely plausible, the buying price was clearly not as they break for more than that.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    It's entirely possible they dipped the box, found it low on fluid, and topped it up. My old Jeep that my dad now has leaks gearbox fluid, and after a couple of thousand miles you know when it's getting low because it does exactly what the OP said. Bung a litre of fluid in and hey presto! It's fixed.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nobbie1967 wrote: »
    The fix they did was entirely plausible, the buying price was clearly not as they break for more than that.

I remember that, Mike bought it for less than the engine would sell for on eBay.

The owner was in the Porsche club too, and not one of the members had suggested an oil change for the "well known and obvious fault" that Ed spotted immediately.

I suspect they give a lot more for the cars and then film a fake buy myself, and I wouldn't put it past them to engineer most of the "faults" too ;)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure