Verified by Visa card authorisation problem

Options
In brief, I got a new Visa debit card from my bank, HSBC, activated it and everything was fine until it came to registering online for verified by Visa. I’m repeatedly getting a ‘there is an error;’ message onscreen, but everything is entered correctly, all the card details and I know my own name, date of birth and postcode.
Anyway, the real problem is that HSBC say that it’s for Visa to sort out the problem and when I contact the verified by Visa call centre they refer me back to HSBC, so I still can’t use by debit card online.
So I wondered if anyone else had encountered the same problem and how they eventually solved it.
Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you tried a different browser?
  • Aytoun27
    Options
    Hi,

Yes, I've tried it with three different browsers on two computers, but no joy.
    Thanks for your reply though.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Get a new debit card from HSBC and try that.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    OK it's only my opinion and I don't know your circumstance but I would not use a debit card online full stop. I would use a credit card if you can - you get much more protection.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    From reading VISA Verify site the information you enter is verified by HSBC and then the code is issued.

In that case it would appear what you are entering is not what HSBC are verifying against.

Have you checked what HSBC have on record?
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use my debit card all the time for online shopping. I've not needed my verified by Visa details for a long time, every site i've used gives me a message saying they don't need to check it anymore ? I've used several new cards and haven't had to register any of them.
  • shown73
    shown73 Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had the same message for a while now, no need to verify etc., but then the process hangs up and won't actually go through to the conclusion. Have had to fiddle about with phone payments, real pain. HSBC branch also said its a visa problem, phone them next time this happens. I haven't had to yet, but I'm not confident that it will be sorted that way. It was all ok for quite some time, don't know what can have changed..
  • Shakin_Steve
    Options
    I get the verified by visa ‘box’ come up on screen, then it seems to verify itself and disappears.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • spenderdave
    Options
    When I had to register a HSBC credit card for VBV a few years back I had to ring an HSBC number listed on the online page to get it sorted when the online application failed for some reason, which they did fairly quickly. As you say, most sites come up with the VBV box which says 'we do not need to verify this transaction' which seems to indicate the system is slowly being removed. Not used my Visa debit card online and never registered it for VBV.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    OK it's only my opinion and I don't know your circumstance but I would not use a debit card online full stop. I would use a credit card if you can - you get much more protection.

I use a mix of debit and credit card online, nothing wrong with using a debit card online.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure